Resalyn's C25K Journal

Options
Resalyn
Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
July 27, 2009.

Day #1. Abysmal failure. :mad: Okay, not abysmal. I tried to run when the podcast said to - and I ran....for about 20-30 seconds instead of the 60 seconds I was supposed to. Then I was too tired to run each time after that.

So, here's what I did - I did a walk/powerwalk combination. I figure when I get more of this weight off, or get more used to exercising, I can do better. I'm not giving up. I'm just modifying the plan a little bit. I got in my whole 30 mins, though, which is more than I've ever been able to do before, at least for years and years, right? So I guess it wasn't a total failure.....

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I've done the couch to 5 K. There is nothing wrong with modifying the program if you need to. I would often repeat weeks if I didn't feel I was ready to move on to the next one. It takes time but it will get easier and hopefully (like me) you will be surprised to learn that you actually enjoy running. I'm short and stubby with a big chest so I didn't think I would ever like running, but guess what? I am running a 1/2 marathon in Oct! I'm nervous but also really excited. You can do this. And just remember that just getting off of the couch and making the effort means it wasn't a failure. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!:flowerforyou:
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Currently on week 4 of c25k and i experienced the same thing on day one! i literally thought i was going to die! :huh: but.....i am now able to run for 5 minutes - an amazing feat in my mind! :laugh: i'm working towards running my first 5k on august 29 and running it straight the whole way threw (without walkin at all). i know i can do it - and with that said, you can do it to! just stick with it and don't kill urself. if ur body says no - than don't do it. once u get going though u'll notice this high u get from running for a minute and it gives me motivation to do another one. best of luck to ya! :wink:
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Kat and Shogan for the words of encouragement! I plan on documenting my C25K journey on this thread, as well as in my personal daily blog. I really appreciate the encouragement, and the knowlege that there are others out there who have been where I am now, and succeeded to get past the milestones.

You both are doing things that I want to do myself - first I want to be able to run a 5K, and then down the road, I want to be able to run our Bix 7 here in the Quad Cities - only 7 miles, but a REALLY tough course - lots of hills, and all of them steep!