Protein powder

Options
Which is the best protein powder to get from GNC??

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if GNC carries them, but I think that Optimum Nutrition and Scivation have the best tasting whey products.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I was looking for one with no soy in it, I think ShBoss recommended one before but I forget the name and the topic it was discussed under.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I'm curious about the Biggest Loser whey protein. Has anyone here tried it? :smile:

exercise.png
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    hey! i use lean dessert:happy: low cal/low carb........ not sure about gnc's storebrand products tho. i've heard alot of talk on here about whey protein formulas being good too
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    GNC has Pro Performance Whey Protein and Pro Performance Wheybolic extreme 60. They both taste good and neither have soy. I've never had any stomach issues with this protein or any bloating. If you buy the chocolate flavor, add peanut butter. It is soooo good.
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have never tried protein powder, but I have wondered about it... What is it like? Do you replace a meal with it? And, is it mixed with water?

Thanks! :smile:
  • THMMPR
    THMMPR Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the Optimum Nutrition Gold. Extreme Milk Chocolate is probably the best tasting out there. I tend to mix a scoop with 8 oz of milk and 8 oz of water for a very good after workout shake.

I have also recently started to take 8 oz of milk and one scoop of powder. Immersion blender to create some foam and to get a thorough mix. Then adding 16 oz of plain black coffee. Kind of my own personal mocha in the morning with no added sugar and 24 g of high quality protein.

Tonight, I am going to try my hand at making some homemade protein bars.

Good luck.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    GNC has Pro Performance Whey Protein and Pro Performance Wheybolic extreme 60. They both taste good and neither have soy. I've never had any stomach issues with this protein or any bloating. If you buy the chocolate flavor, add peanut butter. It is soooo good.

sorry nursegirl, these products both contain soy. The only GNC protein powder that doesn't contain soy (I've checked) is Advanced Delivery Systems (ADS). It comes in a green container and is mid-priced.
  • faithfitnessandnutrition
    Options
    I tried the biggest loser whey protein and its to thin for my taste...I do like the raspberry and fruit protein flavor for my recovery drinks after working out and during the day...but the vanilla and chocolate powders I am not to keen on because I like my shakes to be thick. I love Pure protein and Lean Body CarbWatchers vanilla icecream meal replacement powder...its a bit expensive but I get it for half off at vitacost.com
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I tried the biggest loser whey protein and its to thin for my taste...I do like the raspberry and fruit protein flavor for my recovery drinks after working out and during the day...but the vanilla and chocolate powders I am not to keen on because I like my shakes to be thick. I love Pure protein and Lean Body CarbWatchers vanilla icecream meal replacement powder...its a bit expensive but I get it for half off at vitacost.com

this one also contains soybeans.

Not that I think soybeans are the devil, it's just that I try to not add extra soy into my diet as soy permeates so much in our culture without us even knowing, so I try to steer clear of it when possible.
  • nursegirl79
    Options

sorry nursegirl, these products both contain soy. The only GNC protein powder that doesn't contain soy (I've checked) is Advanced Delivery Systems (ADS). It comes in a green container and is mid-priced.

Once per day, consume 3 scoops (82g) of Wheybolic Extreme 60™ in 12 oz of cold water 30 minutes after your workout. On non-training days, consume 3 scoops first thing in the morning. For extreme results, take twice a day, pre- and post-workout.

Serving Size 3 scoop(s)
    Servings Per Container 16

Amount Per Serving % DV

Calories 310.00

Calories from Fat 20.00

Total Fat 2.00 g 3%

Saturated Fat 1.00 g 5%

Trans Fat 0.00 g

Cholesterol 30.00 mg 10%

Sodium 450.00 mg 19%

Total Carbohydrate 13.00 g 4%

Dietary Fiber 1.00 g 4%

Sugars 5.00 g

Protein 60.00 g 0%

Calcium 300.00 30%

Iron 1.80 10%

Vitamin A 0.00 0%

Vitamin C 0.00 0%

** Daily Value (DV) not established

† Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
    Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on
    your calorie needs:
    Calories: 2000 2500

Total Fat Less than 65 g 80 g
    Sat. Fat Less than 20 g 25 g
    Cholesterol Less than 300 mg 300 mg
    Sodium Less than 2400 mg 2400 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 300 g 375 g
    Dietary Fiber 25 g 30 g

Calories per gram:
    Fat 9• Carbohydrate 4•Protein 4

Other Ingredients: Cocoa, Sucralose, Lecithin, Whey Protein Isolate, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Carbogen, Salt, Enzyme Matrix™ (lactase, lipase, Bromelain, Glucoamylase, Invertase, Alpha-Galactosidase, Protease 3.0, Peptidase, Amylase, Protease 4.5, Protease 6.0, Protease AM, CereCalase), Aminogen (Patented Bioactive Polypeptide enzyme ststem)

Where's the soy!! If it's in there it's hiding.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Where's the soy!! If it's in there it's hiding.

go to gnc's site, choose one of the products and click the product info portion, right in there it says

This product contains Milk and Soybean, for both of them. Yeah, they do kinda hide them, you have to be meticulous in your reading.

Since it's a suppliment, there's no guidline in where they need to post where the soy is, so they don't put it with the ingredients, they put it on their own separate line. I've included a screen shot of the portion that contains the message for the Pro Performance Whey Protein:

protein_powder.jpg
  • nursegirl79
    Options
    well that sucks:laugh:

But I eat alot of soy anyways....
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options

this one also contains soybeans.

Not that I think soybeans are the devil, it's just that I try to not add extra soy into my diet as soy permeates so much in our culture without us even knowing, so I try to steer clear of it when possible.

Thanks for the info about the Biggest Loser protein. I'm surprised to find that it has soy, as Jillian Michaels seems to be anti-soy for the reason you just mentioned... It's everywhere. I'd like to get one without soy. :happy:

exercise.png