Now what...

Options
This is my first time to post on these forums... But I'm kind of at a loss on what to do now.
I started this whole weight loss journey in December and so far I've lost 53 lbs.
I started out at the gym doing just strictly cardio - after about 45 days I added in some light lifting to start toning.

I just finished Insanity and I'm now wearing the same size jeans I wore before I had my son 7 years ago. The thing is I'd like to lose another 12-15 lbs - my body is TIRED from the intensity of Insanity and honestly I'm glad it's over.

But what do I do now. I still have some stubborn belly fat I'd like to get rid of as well as I'd like to keep "toning" my arms and my legs. So do I just head back to the gym for cardio and some light weight high rep exercises to keep my muscles toning or just strictly cardio or what? I can't run because of bad knees so the elliptical is how I get my cardio.

Thanks for any insight and help anyone can give me! I appreciate it

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    add "non light" weight training to the mix.

Do a couple of sessions with a personal training to get your bearings and then you could do it on your own if you would like.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Cardio, Heavy Lifting and a slight deficit should help.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    A lot of people seem to be indicating that The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book to get for someone in just your position. I honestly haven't read the book but from the reviews it looks to be a good set of instructions for women to get into lifting a nice amount of weight and making a real difference.

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583332944

The last 10 lbs you're wanting to trim down will require persistence and dedication. Everyone has their opinion but what I'm doing to get those last few reserves of fat is cardio 30 min (HIIT) 4-5 days a week first thing in the morning before I eat, and then I'm doing strength training 4 days a week. I keep mine split and do strength at night but you can do them together if that works best for you. I would just recommend doing strength before cardio.

It sounds like you have the cardio down pat but you probably just need to step up your game with the weights. Yes you will be incredibly sore at first. Give yourself some extra recovery time at first between days you do strength training but that will decrease substantially within a few weeks. One thing that people seem to overlook or not mention in this slow-paced life of trimming down fat is that a good workout with the weights, one that leaves you feeling like you can't lift a fork afterwards, will give you some serious instant gratification. By the time you take an after workout shake and a shower you'll feel so good about the workout you just had that you'll be wanting to do it again asap.

Elliptical machines are perfectly fine for cardio. I used those and the treadmill just to mix things up. It makes you sweat and keeps your heart rate up there. No shame in using that if you're not slacking on it.

Don't forget to eat good and feed those muscles. 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight is a good goal. So if you weigh 150 at 20% then 120 grams of protein per day split up into each meal and a snack or two. Or you could just do lazy math and have one per pound you weigh but some people find that too hard to stomach. Keep using your MFP calorie goals but work on eating cleaner. Despite what some will tell you you can add on some muscle and burn fat at the same time. Not at an optimal rate but you're not trying to be on stage in Mr Olympia next month so don't try to increase anything other than the protein ratio you're eating.

One last thing. There is no such thing as "toning". You can increase or decrease body fat and muscle. That is all. If you want to look more tone then make some muscles and dump some body fat. Don't try to just "tone" your arms. See how much muscle you can pack on your arms. (As a woman it won't be much) Go all in.
  • Lindsay0405
    Lindsay0405 Posts: 21
    Options
    A lot of people seem to be indicating that The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book to get for someone in just your position. I honestly haven't read the book but from the reviews it looks to be a good set of instructions for women to get into lifting a nice amount of weight and making a real difference.

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583332944

The last 10 lbs you're wanting to trim down will require persistence and dedication. Everyone has their opinion but what I'm doing to get those last few reserves of fat is cardio 30 min (HIIT) 4-5 days a week first thing in the morning before I eat, and then I'm doing strength training 4 days a week. I keep mine split and do strength at night but you can do them together if that works best for you. I would just recommend doing strength before cardio.

It sounds like you have the cardio down pat but you probably just need to step up your game with the weights. Yes you will be incredibly sore at first. Give yourself some extra recovery time at first between days you do strength training but that will decrease substantially within a few weeks. One thing that people seem to overlook or not mention in this slow-paced life of trimming down fat is that a good workout with the weights, one that leaves you feeling like you can't lift a fork afterwards, will give you some serious instant gratification. By the time you take an after workout shake and a shower you'll feel so good about the workout you just had that you'll be wanting to do it again asap.

Elliptical machines are perfectly fine for cardio. I used those and the treadmill just to mix things up. It makes you sweat and keeps your heart rate up there. No shame in using that if you're not slacking on it.

Don't forget to eat good and feed those muscles. 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight is a good goal. So if you weigh 150 at 20% then 120 grams of protein per day split up into each meal and a snack or two. Or you could just do lazy math and have one per pound you weigh but some people find that too hard to stomach. Keep using your MFP calorie goals but work on eating cleaner. Despite what some will tell you you can add on some muscle and burn fat at the same time. Not at an optimal rate but you're not trying to be on stage in Mr Olympia next month so don't try to increase anything other than the protein ratio you're eating.

One last thing. There is no such thing as "toning". You can increase or decrease body fat and muscle. That is all. If you want to look more tone then make some muscles and dump some body fat. Don't try to just "tone" your arms. See how much muscle you can pack on your arms. (As a woman it won't be much) Go all in.

THANK YOU!!!