at home lifting ideas

TripleJ3
TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
I am trying to cut back on cardio and do more strength/lifting. My only option at this time is to do this at home so no gym. Normally I did a Jillian DVD or similar using 10lb weights or Kettlebells up to 20lbs.

Right now I am following this program:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html?page=2

And so far I like it. I have only been doing this a week and right now using 20lb weights:blushing: I know, not very heavy but so far they are doing the job until I can start purchasing more weights, I am trying to find someones old set they no longer want! I also do HIIT for about an hour or so 5-6 days a week.

The lifting only takes me 20 min with no rests inbetween sets. I see most people do at least 30 or even 45mins. Does anyone follow a lifting program at home they would like to share? Should I just try to keep adding more reps/sets of the moves I am already doing?

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    I think the general consensus is that fewer reps of a higher weight is better than more reps at a lower weight. Many people who are lifting weights for 30-45 minutes are probably taking breaks between sets.

I can't really give you any suggestions for your home lifting program, but I think (think is the key word here, I'm not a trainer) that adding additional reps at a weight that's not challenging to you will not give you any added benefits.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    I'm currently doing a slightly tweaked version of that routine for my weights. I'm using adjustable dumbbells, so the weight varies widely with each exercise. If I get to 12 reps on the first set, I increase the weight the next time I do the exercise. It takes me about 30-35 minutes with breaks between sets. Since I'm lifting to the point where I cannot do another rep with good form, if I didn't take breaks between my sets, I would only be able to do the first set with my starting weight. I do keep moving during my rests to keep my heart rate elevated. Most of the time, I only get to 8 or 10 reps in the first set and maybe 6 in the last set.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Thats what I was figuring, heavier weights. I feel it, but i can get through all reps until the third set to where I struggle a bit.

I am working on buying more weights but right now I just can't buy a bunch at a time. I am hoping to find a used set.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    I am working on buying more weights but right now I just can't buy a bunch at a time. I am hoping to find a used set.

Definitely check Craiglist and other similar things. My brother got the adjustable ones I'm using (they adjust from 5-45 lbs for each hand) for very little money off of that a few years ago. He upgraded to newer/ heavier ones, and I'm happily using his hand me downs.