Bigger Neck=Lower Body Fat?

Options
Just curious if anyone knows the answer to this. I have noticed that when I type in my measurements on the online body fat calculators, the higher my neck measurement, the lower my percent body fat. Why is this? For example, my neck ranges from 12-13", currently it is 12.25". But if all other measurements are the same as last time when my neck was 12.5" my body day will increase.

Does having a bigger neck have something to do with muscularity or something? This is just something I have been confused by and always wondered. Thanks! :)

Replies

• bsolada
    bsolada Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts friends?
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    This is the same with wrists and forearm measurements, they give an indication of your bone structure and frame size. Somewhere in the formula, the fatty parts (bust, hips, waist) will be divided by the bony parts - like the neck and wrists. My 5in wrists ( I assume) are what makes my body fat % higher than expected.

Don't just go on my thoughts, I'm no professional. :)
  • bsolada
    bsolada Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is the same with wrists and forearm measurements, they give an indication of your bone structure and frame size. Somewhere in the formula, the fatty parts (bust, hips, waist) will be divided by the bony parts - like the neck and wrists. My 5in wrists ( I assume) are what makes my body fat % higher than expected.

Don't just go on my thoughts, I'm no professional. :)

Wow, interesting! I never knew there were bony parts and fat parts factored into the formulas. But this leads me to the question, how can your bony part shrink? My neck and wrist gets smaller when I lose weight, even if just slightly. But my frame stays the same size. Thanks for your feedback!
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Well as a human ( particularly a female) you naturally have a layer of fat pretty much everywhere. Your wrists aren't particularly a place where you noticeably gain fat, but as you lose weight, it's likely that you would lose a little from around there. I've seen very very overweight people with huge forearms, but they still taper off before they become hands.

Anyway, I could be talking absolute twaddle, but this is what I believe to be true :)