What HRM do you use?

Options
I'm looking to get a good HRM, one that has more functions then JUST my HR. I started to look around on Kijiji, but didn't really know what to look for.... :huh:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I've been happy with my polar F11 ... but I'd have to admit that I don't use all the functions.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Polar F6, solid, not too pricey, and has a coded strap so you can use it around other HRMs.
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use the polar S210 and my wife uses the Sunto T1. I would recommend the Sunnto because it is reasonably priced had great functions and user replaceable batteries.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Reebok Precision XT.
    Love it. Been using it for a year now.
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Polar F6 is great. It's cheaper than the F11 but still has lots of functions. Shows heart rate, calories burned. It will let you know if you need to up the intensity when your heart rate drops below a certain preset zone. The chest strap is comfortable and there is a design just for women. Mine is pink.
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    Thank you all for your input!! :happy: I will see what I can find.... the "hunt" is on!! LOL
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Reebok Precision XT.

Lauryn, I've got the same kind as you do. I had tons of trouble figuring it out, but think that I FINALLY HAVE. (well, just with the stop watch part!) I'm just not sure of a few of the settings. I set mine at the activity level 2, since I walk or dance or jog just about EVER day, not just a couple. But I'm not sure it's REAL "heavy physical exercise" or "vigorous aerobics" though, like it says in the description. What do you think, should I choose 1 or 2? I also just don't understand AT ALL, or know quite what to put for the intensity level. I don't want to kill myself exercising. I just want to know the calories I'm REALLY burning when I do my walking, jogging, dancing, mowing the lawn, cleaning, etc. So, does it matter what I even put in for the timer setting and all that intelligent training stuff, or can I just go with the chrono/stop watch thing? Thanks for any help you can give me. :flowerforyou: Brenda
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    ive got the Polar F6 - bought it last week and i LOVE it! it doesnt everything i want it to - shows HR, calories, time, exercise time, HR zones, it works with the equipment at the gym
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Reebok Precision XT.

Lauryn, I've got the same kind as you do. I had tons of trouble figuring it out, but think that I FINALLY HAVE. (well, just with the stop watch part!) I'm just not sure of a few of the settings. I set mine at the activity level 2, since I walk or dance or jog just about EVER day, not just a couple. But I'm not sure it's REAL "heavy physical exercise" or "vigorous aerobics" though, like it says in the description. What do you think, should I choose 1 or 2? I also just don't understand AT ALL, or know quite what to put for the intensity level. I don't want to kill myself exercising. I just want to know the calories I'm REALLY burning when I do my walking, jogging, dancing, mowing the lawn, cleaning, etc. So, does it matter what I even put in for the timer setting and all that intelligent training stuff, or can I just go with the chrono/stop watch thing? Thanks for any help you can give me. :flowerforyou: Brenda

Hi Bren!!
    I only use the chrono function. Gives me time and calories burned. For me, that is all I need.
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    bump
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why it is important to use an HRM?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

It gives a more accurate estimation of calories burned during exercising. Also beneficial when not at a machine with HR monitoring handles (even though most machines are very inaccurate).
  • BrenNew
    Options

Ya, just like Lauryn said, other sites and machines just aren't as accurate as the HRM's to your own heart rate are.
    I got mine a week or so ago, and have found that I'm burning anywhere from 12 to even 40 something less calories per exercise than I THOUGHT I was when I was going by other methods. :sad:
  • BrenNew
    Options
    Reebok Precision XT.

Hi Bren!!
    I only use the chrono function. Gives me time and calories burned. For me, that is all I need.

Thanks Lauryn. I'm just wondering if I messed some things up when I was pushing all the different buttons trying to figure the darned thing out! :laugh: I'll just use the chrono and hope for the best I guess, since it DOES give me numbers! Thanks again. Brenda :flowerforyou:
  • joyblaylock
    joyblaylock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT40 and love it. I just upgraded to a fancy runner's watch (Garmin 405) and I am in techie watch heaven.
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options

For me it has been a great motivational tool ... my polar F11 keeps track of my workouts and if I meet my weekly goal I get a little 'trophy' symbol on the watch for the next week :happy: . It is hoaky - but I make sure that I get my little trophy every week ... haven't missed one since March and it has made me really up my exercise level.
    I also discovered from getting the HRM that I was never pushing myself enough when I walk (on the treadmill or outside), my heart rate was never getting in to the 'fat burning range' ... so now I push myself more.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Reebok Precision XT.

Hi Bren!!

Thanks Lauryn. I'm just wondering if I messed some things up when I was pushing all the different buttons trying to figure the darned thing out! :laugh: I'll just use the chrono and hope for the best I guess, since it DOES give me numbers! Thanks again. Brenda :flowerforyou:

I use the same one. I actually use in on the timer feature and just set the time for more than I know my workout will take. Then, when I'm done, it still shows me all the numbers. I guess it doesn't matter which mode you use- whatever works for you! :smile:
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    bump
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Polar F11, I use everything on it except the trainer (though I used to use it) and the alarm.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar F 11!