Alot of weight to lose

Options
Anyone here trying to lose a tremendous amount of weight? I am of those who is. I don't disclose any of my weight lose with anyone not even my wife. It embarrasses me about how much I have to lose. As I read thru these this forums I see a lot of people just trying to lose 10 to 20 pound. In my case I am looking at 250+ of weight to lose. Anyone else here in the same boat?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I'm not one of them, but there are many here who either have lost or are in the process of losing in excess of 150lbs and more. Keep poking around and you'll find them.

I just looked in Groups and found this one I linked below....(plus some others). This one is for those who had over 100 to lose...so you could go there and poke around, maybe join the Group. There are lots of people already in the group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/685-100-lbs-to-lose

Oh! Here's one for 200+ To Lose - and it has 149 members! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/744-200-to-lose

There are some here on the site who have lost 200-400 pounds, so you are definitely not alone!

• nicholettebell
    Options
    Welcome! There are a lot. Like the above poster said there are a lot of groups dedicated to those who have a lot of weight to lose. Way to go for making the first step. You rock!
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Welcome :flowerforyou:
    I have about 150+ to lose. Feel free to add me. Despite what you see in the forums, there are a lot us here who are trying to lose more than 10-20lbs. This is a great site to help everyone struggling with lots of weight or that last 10lbs. Good luck to you! :bigsmile:
  • Michelle650
    Michelle650 Posts: 218
    Options
    Well compared to some on here I have a little to lose, but its 50lbs, so to me its a huge amount!!
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Good for you, I wish you much success. Just think of it as losing one pound over and over again, that way it won't seem as such a daunting task.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat 2 years ago. No one but me knew how much I weighed when I started, and I wouldn't admit my starting number until I had finally lost over 100lbs. It can be done if you want it, make a plan, and stick with it. The hard work is more than worth it though. I have never felt this good in my life!
  • jasonfndr
    jasonfndr Posts: 39
    Options
    Wow!! Did not know this place had groups. Thanks for the info~~
  • johnm8703
    johnm8703 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat as you. I need to lose about 250 total to hit my BMI. However I'd be TOTALLY fine losing 200! Please feel free to add me.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    You are not alone. There are many people who have alot to lose, whether it is is 30 or 300 lbs.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I originally had around 150 lbs to lose, I've lost some, and am feeling fairly good. I'd love to lose another 75, but would definitely be content with another 50, which would put me at the very top of a 'healthy' bmi/weight.

I do completely understand how frustrating it is to see how far you have to go!! Believe me, I get it!

Good luck!!
  • ForMe31217
    ForMe31217 Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm looking to lose 185. add me :-)
  • westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Options
    You are far from alone. I still have over 100 I need to loose and to be honest, a lot more than that!
    Initially, I was the same with being secretive about my pounds. But as I started shedding them off, I became
    more open with the truth. Many people are in your shoes, stay strong and remember, it took a long time to get
    the weight on, so it will take time to get it off!
    You are taking the right step :)
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    I have about 190 #'s left to lose... So, quite a bit! You can add me if you want another friend :)
  • jonesyx6
    jonesyx6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you look under Groups (instead of forums) there are groups there for people that have 100+ to lose. I have to lose 100+ and I understand how you are feeling about being embarrassed. The only thing I can say is that if someone like your spouse or family is able to be SUPPORTIVE regarding your weight loss journey then it will be better to let them support you. BUT if you have tried and failed before (like me) and the person you thought would be there for you gives you crap about falling "off the wagon" so to speak then it may not be good.

My husband is very supportive, because he knows that he can not be the person to give me the "kick in the butt" that I might need if I don't want to exercise or I want to have a piece of cake, etc. He tried that once because he thought that is what I needed, which I did, but I couldn't handle it from him. Because he is supposed to be the one that loves unconditionally, hearing him tell me I didn't "need" that piece of candy, etc. just broke my heart.

So I've asked around here for an accountability partner to be the person to kick me in the butt! :-)

I hope this helps. This journey is incredibly personal and emotionally challenging as well as physically. I wish you all the best.
  • jasonfndr
    jasonfndr Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks again for the responses! I do have alot of family support and also appears gonna get a lot of support from this group~~
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing journey to begin! I wish you all the best of luck, no weight-loss journey is easy so try hard not to get discouraged!! Be an inspiration =)
  • omeomi1972
    omeomi1972 Posts: 4
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going through - I have about 250 to lose as well - my starting weight was 454, I am now 419 as of 5/14. I had weight loss surgery on 5/14 in hopes of helping me to get to a healthier weight. I couldn't do it on my own, I have tried for years. I'm 39 years old and before the surgery I was a diabetic with high blood pressure and on meds, I have sleep apnea very badly...at only 39. Now, in the two weeks since my surgery I am not longer diabetic and could potentially get rid of the blood pressure meds as well. I feel your pain.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I was well over 100LBS overweight when i started down this journey. I know you can do it, because if i can, anyone can. I have lost about 70 LBS so far, and i feel so much better.

Do you have Netflix? There are 2 documentaries that changed my life that i saw on netflix. The day i decided it was possible was the day i watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead". Plus the movie "Forks Over Knives" helped me a lot. Watch them if you have access.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You can do this, I know you can! It get's easier as you get thinner and a whole new world opened up for me and and it will for you too. I been doing this since March 24th, 2012 and just losing the first 20 lbs. made a world of difference for me and now there is no stopping me, I exercise more and I find more things to do just to keep me moving, it's awesome having a my life back and you will feel the same. Good luck to you and I wish you all the best. Just remember you got to want this!!!!!!!!!!!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I loved watching Forks over Knives, quite interesting!