Foods with lots of PROTEIN!

Options
sadira86
sadira86 Posts: 23 Member
When I read about balancing my protein and carbs in meals, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of protein is chicken (and other meats like pork and fish, etc.) but I'm not a huge meat eater (not vegetarian but sometimes I think I could be if it weren't for my meat loving husband! lol) and when it comes to things like my lunch at work, bringing meals with meat isn't ideal for me. I know there are TONS of foods with lots of protein, so list me some of your favorites! Foods, meals, etc. Some obvious ones I know are eggs, peanut butter...

Replies

• JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    http://www.howmuchprotein.com/foods/
    I find this list helpful :)
  • sherrykwilk
    sherrykwilk Posts: 12
    Options
    Tofu, quinoa, brown rice, and some pastas are good sources of protein. I am shocked through my logging that my protein is so high because the program counts all protein even the protein in whole wheat bread, etc.
  • katey_my_lady
    katey_my_lady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Egg whites. I love them in the morning with some veggies for a light, protein-full omelette.
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump! :)
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Fish such as tuna, salmon, haddock etc.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    bump
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, greek yogurt
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Kidney beans, pinto beans, great northern beans, did I mention beans? Easy to bring for lunch, full of fiber and protein too, plus low fat:love::love: :love:
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to see some suggestions!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Major sources of protein per calorie:
    1. Lean meats
    2. Seafood
    3. Soy
    4. Egg
    5. Dairy

PEANUT BUTTER IS NOT A GREAT SOURCE OF PROTEIN. I used to think so too but it has waaaay too much fat that bumps up its calorie count. I still love it though, I just recognize that.
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Salmon! Salmon! Salmon! Did I mention Salmon?

mmmm. I love me some Salmon:tongue:
  • sadira86
    Options
    this is great so far! thanks everyone! keep it coming. my shopping list getting bigger and bigger ;)
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I see several who post about the Greek Yogurt. Going to have to try that as I need more protein too. I wish I liked cottage cheese but the texture alone gets to me.
  • sadira86
    Options
    Major sources of protein per calorie:
    1. Lean meats
    2. Seafood
    3. Soy
    4. Egg
    5. Dairy

PEANUT BUTTER IS NOT A GREAT SOURCE OF PROTEIN. I used to think so too but it has waaaay too much fat that bumps up its calorie count. I still love it though, I just recognize that.

i definitely have learned that about peanut butter, but i find a serving is a nice salty treat that makes me feel better about eating just a plain old piece of toast or something. lol.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    try quinoa, it has 19G of protein i believe. you can make quinoa protein bars with it or eat it like oatmeal.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is not a very good source of protein on a diet because of all the calories it's bundled with. A 200 calorie portion of peanut butter contains 8.5 grams of protein. 200 calories of broccoli, 16.5 grams--almost double!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I see several who post about the Greek Yogurt. Going to have to try that as I need more protein too. I wish I liked cottage cheese but the texture alone gets to me.

Greek yogurt CAN be great, but make sure you check the nurtition label (which you should always do anyway). Alot of the popular brands are a wolf in sheeps clothing: SOOOO much added sugars in them (chobani, oikios, dannon,yoplait, etc).

As far as I have found, Fage Plain (i like the 2%) is the best for protein/calorie punch.
  • amberwallbridge
    amberwallbridge Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Quorn !!! It's my best friend now