men wearing shirts in the swimming pool

Options

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    just curious, ladies-- when you see a guy swimming and he is wearing a t-shirt do you think it's strange or do you think he is hiding something or do you not even think about it?

I assume either not comfortable with body, or trying to avoid sunburn. Then I usually don't think about it again.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to wrap my head around this phenomenon of men covering up for years. I don't know if they are self conscious, modest, or what. When I was a kid men wore booty shorts to play sports and never wore a shirt to the pool, even the heavier ones. Only self conscious teenage girls wore t-shirts at the pool. Half the time I see a guy in shorts he has his socks pulled up to cover all his skin. I don't understand it.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to wrap my head around this phenomenon of men covering up for years. I don't know if they are self conscious, modest, or what. When I was a kid men wore booty shorts to play sports and never wore a shirt to the pool, even the heavier ones. Only self conscious teenage girls wore t-shirts at the pool. Half the time I see a guy in shorts he has his socks pulled up to cover all his skin. I don't understand it.

Yeah i remember when the earth had ozone too.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

Yeah i remember when the earth had ozone too.

LOL, true. We are much more aware of things like skin cancer these days. It still doesn't explain why men wear knee socks with man-pris and a shirt three sizes to large to the mall. Not judging, it just doesn't seem practical in the summer.
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me one bit. I don't even notice it honestly. If that's what their comfortable in then fine.. Just like if there was a plus size women wearing a bikini wouldn't bother me. I really hate my legs because I have spider veins but I still wear shorts. If its hot, I'm wearing the bare minimum clothing lol don't like it, then don't look ;)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Wow this is an old post.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    i think some of it is a cultural thing

yep...men of walmart vs men of macy's

What about us who shop at Nordstroms?
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I used to always wear one. When I was younger I had acne on my shoulders. I hated it and was embarrassed. I even quit the track team over it. As I got older it was because I was heavier and the moods run in the family. In the last few years it doesn't bother me as much, but the short comes right back on when I get out.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    My son started to wear a rash guard, perhaps because it became the modern trendy thing to do. Now he thinks he has muscles, he goes shirtless again.

I've never worn a shirt in the water.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Glad I wore mine in the gym pool tonight. Pretty sure I saw a guy out of the corner of my swim goggles hiding a harpoon behind his back. Goggles were pretty foggy so I'm not a 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure he was just waiting for me to go shirtless so he could get a clean shot... He had a peg leg & was angrily muttering something about a white whale...
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Wow this is an old post.

No your post is only 5 days old
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I cant think why anyone would even care or think twice about it.

It is a shirt, what's the harm?

• jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    jillcwhite wrote: »
    Dont think about it one way or the other. A shirt would help from getting a sun burn. I see lots of young men wearing the SPF shirts.

This is THE MAIN REASON my husband wears a shirt swimming most times. There are times he will go without, but there are a lot more times when he will due to the burn factor.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kind of ties into this - but last summer in Northern VA, there was a parent who tried to get a swim instructor fired from his job because he didn't wear a shirt for swim lessons and kids saw his nipples and that was inappropriate or something *kitten* like that...
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Been wondering about this as our pool at the condo is now open. I went swimming this weekend and the pool area was packed with all kinds of people. Some very fit and lean folks, some a bit chubby, some that I classify as "Fluffy" and some in the "Damnnnn!" stage.

I generally wouldn't have thought too much about this but after seeing this thread I paid a bit more attention and this is my observation...

None of the very fit or normally built men - no matter how pasty pale they were - had shirts on. The only men wearing shirts, and there were more than a few, were the guys with some serious moobies who looked like they swallowed someones kid. I kind think that the "but mah sun protection" may be a valid reason for some men but the main reason, at least at our pool, is "modesty". ;)
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    It's obvious they are either insecure or sunburned. You can discern which it is by one look at their face. Honestly no one cares about your body if you are fat, except for you. I think sometimes we think that the world revolves around us and that we are the center of everyone's attention. Hence, shirt in pool.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy and I always try to wear a SPF shirt in the pool. It's not because I'm not confident it's because my grandfather died of Melanoma early in life and I am very blond with a ginger beard. I've already had a couple of basal cell cancers removed so I am cautious.
  • hotdad
    hotdad Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe they do it for the other swimmers...not everyone wants to be inflicted with the sight of a hairy back, whale belly, and man-boobs.

This made me laugh out loud!

Lol... This is precisely the reason why I do it
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Except when racing I've always worn a shirt to swim.. even when I was borderline underweight.