Do you tip for laser hair removal?

Options
N_Bridgeman
N_Bridgeman Posts: 45 Member
Sorry, I just have no idea what the norms are, and was hoping some people on here might have some experience/answers?

Replies

• N_Bridgeman
    Options
    No one has had laser hair removal done?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I didn't---I already pay freaking tons of money for the service to be done (I go to Ideal Image--only have a few treatments left on my underarms). I'm not sure about other places, but where I go it's considered a medical treatment performed by nurses, so I don't see it as a service you tip for.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I tip 20%, just as I do my hair dresser or a waitress.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get laser hair removal done, but my beautician always tells me it's better to wax and thread. They're really expensive and I was told the hair won't go away permanently, whereas with waxing the hair becomes finer over time. And also, after years of having two different eyebrow shapes, my brows are now similar thanks to my threading lady! :bigsmile:
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I agreee with BAMF, those things are not cheap and should you tip before you know of the total results. Got laser surgery for my face and it did not completely work even though they guaranteed the results. The place ended up closing down and reopening in another name.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't tip either. I guess it depends on where you're getting it done. I get mine done at a clinic by a registered nurse technician. I wouldn't tip the nurse at a doctor's office so why would I tip the nurse technician. Plus I agree with above post, that it is super expensive to begin with so having to tip on top of that seems excessive.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just have no idea what the norms are, and was hoping some people on here might have some experience/answers?

Hell no. I had it done originally in a dermatologist's office, and tipping a nurse would be ridiculous. After that I bought my own.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'd see this as at least semi-medical, and no I wouldn't tip.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get laser hair removal done, but my beautician always tells me it's better to wax and thread. They're really expensive and I was told the hair won't go away permanently, whereas with waxing the hair becomes finer over time. And also, after years of having two different eyebrow shapes, my brows are now similar thanks to my threading lady! :bigsmile:

My hair has been gone for a year, with no regrowth.
    And no, I do not tip. I have only had one professional treatment done, and since it is so expensive I decided to give the Tria laser system a try (an at home system). It works really well.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I didn't tip because I paid for all treatments up front, 4500 bucks. Handing over a few bucks after each visit seemed weird to me. Plus I got it done at a plastic surgeon's office, so they don't really expect tips there anyway! Maybe at a salon they would be used to collecting a gratuity.....
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Not necessarily true.

I waxed for years, and sure the hair was a little finer, but it was still a pain in the *kitten*, and you still have to pay for it. Once I'm done paying off my underarms, the bikini area is next! I have to get bikini waxes every couple of weeks during the summer, and at $42 a pop NOT including tip (because I do tip my waxer) it's insanely expensive too. Ideal Image gives a lifetime guarantee for permanent hair removal HOWEVER it only works on certain hair types. At this point, still with a few treatments left, I almost never have to shave my underarms. Like literally once every couple weeks at the most, and even then the hair is SUPER fine. To my knowledge, this is the only company in the country with that guarantee.
  • N_Bridgeman
    Options
    The place Im going is like a medical spa type place...not a drs. office. I seem to read different things, and I hate not tipping appropriately. Plus I bought it using groupon, and would feel worse not tipping when I paid so little for the service.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've done waxing for 20 years and even though the hair does get finer, it is still there. Plus there's that "in between" week when you are waiting for the hair to get long enough to wax but it's too noticable to go out in shorts or a dress. I hated that in the summer months!

After 2 laser treatments, half of my bikini area and most of my underarms are already completely without hair... it has not grown back at all over the past 6-12 weeks. Even though you may have to go for periodic touch-ups (usually once each year), that is still a lot less than when I had to go for a wax every 4-6 weeks.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I should have said if it's done at a spa type place, then yes. If at a doctor's office, then no.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I didn't... I went to a more medical type center than a spa type place.. paid a fortune!
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Worked in a spa... please please tip! Always! This is the majority of the money that we make!! Even if it is an expensive treatment!!

Also, mini rant.. unless your spa gift card says "tip included"... leave a tip!!

Thank you much! :)
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Not necessarily true.

I waxed for years, and sure the hair was a little finer, but it was still a pain in the *kitten*, and you still have to pay for it. Once I'm done paying off my underarms, the bikini area is next! I have to get bikini waxes every couple of weeks during the summer, and at $42 a pop NOT including tip (because I do tip my waxer) it's insanely expensive too. Ideal Image gives a lifetime guarantee for permanent hair removal HOWEVER it only works on certain hair types. At this point, still with a few treatments left, I almost never have to shave my underarms. Like literally once every couple weeks at the most, and even then the hair is SUPER fine. To my knowledge, this is the only company in the country with that guarantee.

I guess it could be different for me because I have too much hair :| there are a lot of beauty places where I live that offer hair removal, but I'm a bit skeptical because of the way it's set up and etc., and to get one done at Dermalogica (there's only one where I live), you'll need to go on a waiting list! I'll stick with waxing for now!
  • whitm2103
    whitm2103 Posts: 41
    Options
    Had it done many times but never tipped
  • capabledesire
    Options
    If they have a sign about tipping then give 15-20%. I am going to a med spa type of place from a groupon too and I've tipped about $10 (for legs) each time.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I had a course of sessions last year and didn't tip for a number of reasons:

1. He was a doctor so it felt very different from a salon
    2. It was bloomin' expensive already!
    3. I didn't get the results I was promised - after six sessions the hair (underarms and bikini line) has reduced but is still dark and I still have to wax every couple of weeks :(