"Think and Lose"?

Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Anyone familiar with this hypnosis program? I was just watching an infomercial for it, and it actually seems to be things I've actually learned to an extent. The guy says that your eating is controlled by your brain (your cravings, etc.).

Replies

• Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Well... everything is controlled by your brain. :-)

I'm no fan of hypnosis in any form.
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Hypnosis..is nothing more then a belief system. If you think it works,it does. I don't believe in it at all. However, I do believe the mind is very powerful and the brain calls all the shots
  • mojomcgee
    mojomcgee Posts: 50
    I witnessed a hypnotist in college and based on that experience I think it's real because one girl got hypnotized and couldn't get out of her chair until he said she could go. She was really freaking out. Some of the people got hypnotized and some didn't. Those that didn't got sent back tinto the audience for the show. I was right up front - got a great view - and am thankful I didn't volunteer. After that experience I'm leary of hypnosis. I did try hypnosis tapes to help me quit smoking but they didn't work. (However I did eventually quit).
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    hypnosis can be affective for limited periods under the right circumstances and with the right attitude. I'd like to hear more about it, just out of curiosity.
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    I went to a hypnotist for weight loss several years ago. It was actually a very relaxing experience. more like meditating an no one could have told me to bark like a dog or anything like that (although I can do a heck of a jack russel terrier impersonation):laugh: . I think you have to be VERY suggestible (and perhaps a little drunk) to actually get that deeply affected. Anyway, basically we met as a weekly "class," had a weigh in, kept a food journal, talked about nutrition, shared some recipe ideas (sound familiar?) and then we all sat back in these comfy lazy-boy chairs with headphones on and they turned out the lights in the room and the hypnotist was on the audio putting everyone into a state of deep relaxation. then he'd speak to each individual and give you some positive reinforcement for the things that were particularly bothering you (needing to avoid ice cream, needing to exercise more, etc.) and then he'd have you slowly come out of it by stretching, opening your eyes, etc. The whole thing took about 45 minutes. My results were ify...I just wasn't ready to make the change at the time. It was moderately helpful for hunger at the beginning of the "diet" but you know simply changing my eating habits and then getting used to eating less crap and better stuff has done the same thing. I think hypnotherapy (as I experienced it, not as entertainment in a comedy club) is useful for some people but it's no more of a magic bullet than anything else.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    I used the Jedi-mind trick once. The donut lifted off the plate and went directly into my mouth. It was amazing.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    LOL I don't know that much about it, as I only watched about 10 minutes of the infomercial. I think I'm okay with what I'm doing, but I was just wondering if anyone tried this method. I know it's not for me though since I've already spent enough money on this journey (except for when I need new shoes or smaller sized clothes :wink: ).
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    I used the Jedi-mind trick once. The donut lifted off the plate and went directly into my mouth. It was amazing.
    Awesome!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    All hypnosis is really self-hypnosis; the hypnotist just talks you through getting relaxed enough and may guide your imagery a bit. I used self-hypnosis for pain control and when I quit smoking. It can help with changing habits, if you're ready for it. If you meditate or use other relaxation techniques or visualization you can use that as well to help with lifestyle changes.
This discussion has been closed.