overweight and INSANITY

Options
Okay sooo im 5'4 and 192lbs and when i attempt to do insanity i find myself needing to take major breaks like every few minutes.

Like i almost feel too fat to move around this quickly... hahaha

Is this something where i continue to stick with it and just try my best even if i cant keep up?

I feel so blah every time i put it in cos i cant move around like they do.....

Replies

• lilmisslanna
    lilmisslanna Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way.. I just started insanity yesterday im waaay overweight ... 208 pounds 5'3, but I figure im just gonna do the best I can to make it through.. even if I have to stop every so often. I was trying to find others that had completed or done insanity that were overweight so I could see results, but I didnt have any luck :(
  • xqueenbee24x
    xqueenbee24x Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Don't let their pace get you down!!! Take breaks when you need to and soon enough youll be getting faster and stronger.

I have been doing insanity for three weeks now, and more often then not I find myself taking a break, or modifying the workouts. I went from walking/jogging on a treadmill about 3 days a week, ended up not working out for two weeks (I moved and no longer had a treadmill) to doing Insanity/workout out six days a week. Its hard there is no doubt about that but if you just stick with it and don't over work yourself you will see a change in your stamina I promise.

Feel free to add me and we can support each other through the process. Also there are other message board topics and groups for people doing insanity and everyone is extremely nice. It is a great support system!

Good Luck!!!
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Okay sooo im 5'4 and 192lbs and when i attempt to do insanity i find myself needing to take major breaks like every few minutes.

Is this something where i continue to stick with it and just try my best even if i cant keep up?

If you are doing the best you can, you are still doing better than not doing it at all!!! If you try to push yourself too hard, you can injure yourself.

I LOVE doing Zumba, and can do the mid-intesity on my Zumba 2 on the Wii, but have over exherted myself and injured myself a couple of times... (279lbs here), so it never hurts to try, just do it at your rate. As you keep doing it, you'll notice that you are keeping up better and before you know it, you'll be keeping up with the video!!! :wink: :smile: :happy:
  • JesiDM
    JesiDM Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I knw how you feel! I'm 5'2 and 242 lbs. I'm on day 4 now. I take like a million breaks but I'm determined to finish!!
  • cortneymau
    cortneymau Posts: 33
    Options
    Those people in the video are the professionals and they can keep those fast paces. You just do what you can do and you will gradually get better. Many people do multiple rounds of Insanity. Your progress is still progress even with breaks!
  • eeirich74
    eeirich74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i 'm on week 4, 5'2" 186, and i just do what i can, i have yet to make it through the warm-up without stopping, i go at my own pace, keep my HR at a safe number, modify what i can't do (yet!) and push through. the way i look at it is, even shaun t doesn't make it all the way through! the other people take breaks so why should i expect that i can do it all the way through?! keep at it, it will pay off! (that's what i keep telling myself...)
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Keep it up!

I started it last August and was able to see results in the first 2 weeks. I had to stop because I got sent away for work and staying in hotels with a mando roommate didn't make working out to the DVDs while I was gone an option.

I just finished my first half marathon last weekend and am all about starting INSANITY again!

Make sure you drink a ton of water and modify, modify, modify! when you first start out...it is REALLY easy to tweak a knee or an ankle. Wear cross training shoes as they have the support you'll need for the lateral movements...no barefeet!

Good luck!
  • dpowell58
    dpowell58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, 192 lbs AND 54 years old. I am on week 4 of Insanity. No I can't go near as fast as the young, fit people on the DVD but I do the best I can. In the beginning I had to take a lot of extra breaks too, but now I find I am taking fewer. Just keep at it and do the best that you can do. You will find that you will get better and better.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You may want to choose something a little less intense, not so much because of the physical aspect of Insanity, but because it's bumming you out. Otherwise, adjust your expectations - those people on the video are in shape and still getting their butt kicked - and go at your own pace. Never sacrifice form, and you will be fine.
  • mizcat
    mizcat Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Really glad you posted this! My husband is wanting to get this (He is NOT overweight... he just wants to get in shape!) and he wants me to do it with him. I AM overweight and have wondered if I could do it.
    The way I look at it is... as long as you are doing it and giving it YOUR best... You are doing great! That's what I plan to do. Just give it my all and it will pay off!!!
    Good luck!!!!!
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It gets better. The more you move the easier it will become. Your body will learn the moves even when you're fumbling around feeling like an idiot (I fumbled and stumbled for a good two weeks or so). Before you know it, your breaks will be shorter and less frequent, you'll start really enjoying it and your heart rate will stay up longer without making you want to die. I know the first time I actually got through to warm up without stopping I mentally high-fived myself.
    You can do it!
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    It is really tough to do if you are not in very good shape to begin with. I am in great shape, even when I started insanity and I still had to take breaks. I can not imagine how hard it is for you. The only thing I can say is if you still want to do it then just keep breaking and push yourself very hard and it will get easier for you I PROMISE!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

when you're starting out on something that hard, if you really want to keep with it, you can, just take the breaks and you'll be able to do more and more as you go along. or you can do something a bit more simple and build up to that after some weight loss. it's a matter of choice. it can be done, good luck.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've just started month 2 of insanity, and it it's a lot more insane let me tell you.

One thing that is mentioned though is that insanity is an athlete's workout.

So you may find that you may have to do another round of insanity to really see results.
  • tcmoone
    tcmoone Posts: 2
    Options
    wow this is encouraging, i have the insanity workouts on my computer and started but stopped awhile back. i've been wanting to restart (i'm 20, 5'6, and 190lbs) but athletic (plays a college sport that requires a lot of perfection of mechanics but not necessarily physical perfection). I'm comfortable with my physique but i'm longing for my high school strength and endurance where I was at 165lbs and an avid cross country runner. College stress really took a toll on me where I once weighed in at 205. Anyway, this summer is my summer to get back in shape where i will have time to dedicate to physical activity since my job isn't too demanding. I'm aiming to be more proactive at this and can't wait to read about other's improvements.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think i need different shoes, my feet KILL when im doing it and that makes me want to stop even more. I wear the new balance minimus and i don't think its giving me enough support.

I will try to push through and go at my own pace but still push myself.

Good luck to everyone else as well!! :D
  • kimberlydawn36
    kimberlydawn36 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What do you log that under?
  • njenkns
    njenkns Posts: 1
    Options
    You should definitely continue! I'm 5'9 and 229 pounds and I'm on my second round of Insanity; I love it so much. I still am not able to go as fast as the individuals on the program, but I go at my own pace and I have definitely seen results.

You can do it! :)
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    go to collagevideo.com. They have lots of workout videos for all levels of fitness. They give a description and you can watch a clip of eadh video. You don't have to start with the toughest workout you can find. Start with something more at your level and work towards Insanity.
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Try doing it without shoes on. I only have two weeks left in the program and I went barefoot by the second day... mind you I also doing my workout inside on a carpeted area.
    If you do really hate the program, you could always try something else. My first week of working out I did some of the workouts in the biggest loser series, just to get me use to moving again, and it was actually quite fun.