Just saying hi...and need a suggestion

Options
Hello everyone,

Okay, here is my deal..... in 1999 I had what is known as a total colectomy with ileoanal reservoir (also known as a j-pouch).. I suffered from ulcerative colitis for many years, and I hated being on the meds, so this was my best option... I'm very happy that I had the surgery, and living without a large intestine is that bad ;-)...... the only real repercussion I have now, is that I have an 18" scar running down the middle of my gut... and my abdominal muscle are all torn up.... and its proving difficult to get a flat stomach. Picture the scar being similar to a c-section, but vertical vs horizontal and bigger....

The other basics about me are: Male, 43, 170lbs and 5' 10". I started using MFP about a month ago, and have already lost 5lbs. I run about 4 miles a day, along with some basic weight training (weight machine and dumb bells). Like I mentioned above, my goal is to lose the "fat" around my scar... Yes, I know you can't "spot reduce" and that is why I do the cardo and general weights. But does any one have ideas on how to reduce fat build up around a scar?

I have also made my food diary available for everyone to view... and if you have suggestion on improving my diet, that would also be appreciated.

SilMarilion.

Replies

• bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I also have a large scar, the only thing I can offer as a suggestion (because everything you said seems like you really have it together already :) ) is that you can try a buch of core exercises that may help tone and tighten the area. Some good ones I have found are: planks, crunches, and roman chair lifts. Hopefully that will help.
  • SilMarillion
    Options
    Lol! Thanks for the reply... I'm laughing because I have just finished doing 100 crunches and holding a 5 sets of 60 second planks ;-)
  • BecCutting
    BecCutting Posts: 30
    Options
    I know that my suggestion isn't directed towards fat reduction, but in this case I believe it may be beneficial in someway with helping improve the scared area and in hand helping the muscles be able to develop better.

My thought is in addition to doing ab work, which you clearly are doing well, help improve the scared area by doing scar tissue massage and using scar oils to lesson the outer tissue harshness.

This video is what I am talking about
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he_YB9e__rQ&fb_source=message
    I know that it is directed toward C-Section scars, but the concept of it all is still the same.

As for the oils, you would be able to find something useful from your local Chemist, like "Bio-Oil" etc.

I hope that you have luck with achieving the tone you are looking for. Best of luck
  • Tomlinson12
    Options
    I am a little late on this reply...but..I had the same surgery as you in 2000- I was only 13 but I have the same scar battles as you. I have recently started level 2 of Jillian Micheal's 30DS- I have been told it is not really that intriguing for males but the part I was going to mention to you was that in the first level the ab work was actually like a resting spot for me- I have tried endless ab exercises and still battle with my scar and cut muscles. Anyways.... MY ABS HURT! Does not sound very exciting to people who haven't had their guts removed, but I never thought I would actually feel like I was toning my stomach. You can look up her videos on YouTube- you should look at level two abs of 30DS- I am pretty excited!