Need help with my one temptation

Options
I have one temptation that is the worst thing that my parents bring into my house.... Chocolate cookie extreme ice cream. I find I cannot stay away from it when they have it in the house. I don't have to much of it or even put a spoon into the actual container, but I still find that whenever I pass by the freezer, I have to take a little bit.
Do you guys have a recommendation for me to learn to get over this chocolately craving?

Replies

• KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Why don't you measure out an amount that you would be able to set aside into your calorie budget and then go to the container you measured and take your bite and you will be able to enjoy the icecream without losing track. You really seem to be able to restrain yourself if you only need a little at a time so just enjoy it.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Some people don't like this stuff, but I ADORE IT. It's called Arctic Zero. You can get it at Whole Foods or places like it. It's 150 calories in the entire pint. Is it real ice cream? No. And it won't taste like it totally. But you can sit down and mow a whole tub which is satisfying. They have choc, mint choc cookie, cookie and cream, coffee, choc/pb, and vanilla maple. :-)
  • kparks2
    kparks2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Some people don't like this stuff, but I ADORE IT. It's called Arctic Zero. You can get it at Whole Foods or places like it. It's 150 calories in the entire pint. Is it real ice cream? No. And it won't taste like it totally. But you can sit down and mow a whole tub which is satisfying. They have choc, mint choc cookie, cookie and cream, coffee, choc/pb, and vanilla maple. :-)

Yeah I tried it and it was gross ha ha ha. Side note. Ask them to keep it out of the house or just have 1 serving. I tell you what gets rid of my ice cream craving...SKINNY COW!! Ice Cream Sandiwches, Bars, cups of ice cream. Mmmmm
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    Do you guys have a recommendation for me to learn to get over this chocolately craving?

Yeah, it's called willpower.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's called willpower.
    Dude, she said CHOCOLATE COOKIE EXTREME ICE CREAM.

My advice: Run far, far away.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Try to give yourself a serving of good quality dark chocolate daily. Can you try thinking of it as, "That's not my food, that's my parents' food." Even when my hubby buys junk that is vegan, I rarely think about it because I automatically label the food he buys and brings home as his food.
  • patranus
    patranus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out.

Don't worry about it.
    If you want it, eat it.
    Just make sure you are eating less/things with less calories at other times or work out an extra 15 minutes at the gym.
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I LOVE IT! Sometimes you get a freezer burnt one that taste more like an icy but most of the time I am in HEAVEN! :)
  • pmz212
    pmz212 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I mostly gave up all sweets for about 5 months and it was the best thing for my mental state/relationship with sweets. Extremes aren't always great, so giving up everything might not be the best answer. . . .. . . but, removing the option from your mind really can reduce the stress. Try to leave it alone for a few months, then work on creating a new relationship.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I let myself have only a certain amount of chocolate per day. I told myself what my limit is. If I miss a day, I don't get to double up the next day. All other sweets, I just naturally budget in but chocolate...I have to have strict limits or I will eat the whole bag of whatever. Normally I don't like dark chocolate but Hershey's Bliss Dark Chocolate was surprisingly good. After a few weeks of dramatic reduction but still allowing myself to have it daily if I want it, I found myself skipping days. What? That can't be right. Did I really skip days? I sure did. I went from a bag a day (or every 2-3 days) habit to a few pieces a week. It took time. Were there some days I wanted MORE than my ALLOWED amount? YES! I told myself I'm NOT allowed. I exercised willpower. I knew it would be there again the next day. I surprise myself how much I went from hogging chocolate it being in real moderation. I didn't even catch those early skips until someone asked me a question and I went back to look. Whoohoo! Now the skips are fairly regular. I'm able to handle it.

For me, giving myself permission equals all out hogging. Equally so, telling myself I can never have it, is a recipe for disaster. I actually had my chocolate addiction down for years until I moved to another country and literally gave myself permission to go on vacation mode. Permission equals what? Yep. Hog wild.

For me, what worked was setting limits and not giving myself permission to go over those limits. EVER. If I do, naturally, that's not permission to completely abandon the agenda but I'm pretty good at not allowing myself to go over whatever limits I set for myself. For me, it is learning how to handle things in moderation. I'm the same with exercise. I do not allow myself to say no under certain circumstances. My skipping a workout comes under very strict guidelines.

Now having said that, I went the opposite on dips. It wasn't the dip but the chips that went with the dip PLUS the dip that was too much for me to handle. For a few months, I didn't say I could never have it but I said right now is not a good time for me to do it. I'm not ready. I'm a bigger chocoholic than I am a dipoholic BUT I could portion the chips and dip as easily and there are just so many kinds! So I decided that I would sustain for awhile. Then when I did add it back, I had a talk with myself and it was after I had the calorie budgeting down comfortably that I was able to do it. I was successful. By then I no longer needed it a few times a week and having what I wanted occasionally and fitting that into my budget was not a big deal.

I did the same with drinks. I am back to having occasional drinks but first I had to break the idea that when we have certain activities they AUTOMATICALLY are associated with those drinks. So now when I have it, I know it is with thought to my overall plan and not just because that social setting requires certain acts. They don't.

As you can see, depending on the food, I actually do have different ways of dealing with it. You have to find what works for you.
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream is my major temptation and I make my own (very high in sugar) as I love making it. I now measure out a cup, take the rest down to Dad so that it is out of my freezer and ration out my portion into 4 serves (each 200 calories). I dish it up in a very small dish so that it looks like a lot and really savour every mouthful. Prior to this I would eat 4 scoops at a time!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I totally ate an Oreo Klondike bar last night.. Did the world end? No.

Just measure out a serving at a time and go from there... It won't kill you.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I mostly gave up all sweets for about 5 months and it was the best thing for my mental state/relationship with sweets. Extremes aren't always great, so giving up everything might not be the best answer. . . .. . . but, removing the option from your mind really can reduce the stress. Try to leave it alone for a few months, then work on creating a new relationship.

^^^ This. For me, having the skinny cows, etc just made my cravings stronger. Now, I enjoy the good stuff as a special treat - max one time a week. :-) It took a while, but now my relationship with ice cream is healthy.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow ice cream cups or cones. They taste great and help squash the cravings. Ask your parents to not buy it for a while.
  • Ellby
    Ellby Posts: 6
    Options
    I honestly found that the less I gave into cravings, the less frequently those cravings happened. If that's not do-able, you can try keeping fat free whipped topping (I am pretty sure they make chocolate) in the freezer and having some of that when you need a fix.
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    HunterKiller_wechange Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have one temptation that is the worst thing that my parents bring into my house.... Chocolate cookie extreme ice cream. I find I cannot stay away from it when they have it in the house. I don't have to much of it or even put a spoon into the actual container, but I still find that whenever I pass by the freezer, I have to take a little bit.

lol i have same problem. If the ice Cream comes out of the fridge it never makes it back in. I have started freezing Fat Free yogurt mixing in things like honey, strawberries, vanilla flavouring ect. Try that maybe adding whatever you fancy to it. :smile:
  • MaryRHowlett
    Options
    Chocolate cravings: i tried smelling chocolate wrappers, that worked for me. I have also read that smelling vanilla extract works. good luck.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Just keep telling yourself it's poison and that eveytime you eat it, it's giving heart disease, diabetes and you are getting closer to a coffin. Also look at exactly what's in it if you have never heard of any of the ingredients google them especially additives.

This is how I got over my Monster Munch addiction.
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    Options
    I personally like Beyers carb smart chocolate ice cream... only 4 net carbs in 1/2 cup... I am more of a sugar free jello and cool whip person... I like skinny cow but it just has too much sugar in it for me..
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I remember when we had B&J ice cream, I found myself in temptation most evenings as well. Thing that saved me was that our freezer was set to so cold, that I'd have to take the tub out for at least 10 minutes before I could even get a spoon into the ice cream. Never wanted it enough to actually wait those 10 minutes so not being able to just get a quick bite definitely saved me!