Garmin Recommendations?

Options
Hello everyone!

I have been running seriously now for 2 years and have been using Runkeeper plus a Timex heart rate monitor. I have been saving and waiting for the day I can invest in a Garmin and it is finally here! I train for half marathons and marathons, so I run quite a bit week to week. What are recommendations on the best or most preferred model of Garmin that has a heart rate monitor included, good battery life, etc.? And on top of that...anyone know of websites other than Amazon that are legit to purchase from that would have good deals? Thanks!

Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have an old Forerunner 305, I've seen reviews that say its better than the newer models.

You also need to seriously consider buying the SportTracks software it provides many more features for tracking and analysis - I think its $30
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Have the Garmin 110, and it does everything I want....Only thing is that it doesn't give real time pace - only average...Once you download the run, it gives you pace per km/mile....
    Not a dealbreaker for me, so I love mine!
  • holmevik
    holmevik Posts: 33
    Options
    I had a Forerunner 610 which I liked, but the screen broke a while back so I got a Forerunner 910xt with heartrate monitor now and I love it. It's somewhat bigger than the 610, but light and it is waterproof so you can use it for swimming as well. Highly recommended. The Garmin connect web site it great for tracking your progress and staying motivated.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have the 610, which is the top of the line model - and expensive. It has mixed reviews. I like the look, interface and how efficiently it locks on to the satellites.

I tried the 110, but returned it.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ reviews - influenced me to get it in the first place.
  • Cooriander
    Options
    the 910 didn't exist when I got the 610, the 910 is also more precise for elevation. I would probably still not get the 910 because it is more bulky, but that is just me.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin forerunner 405 with the chest strap. Got it on Amazon, so I'm no help there.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've had the 305 for 3+ years and it's never let me down. Its battery life is fantastic, and its customization is very easy. You can set up the display so that you see what you want to. I've got one screen I use indoors (ie. where pace doesn't count), and another set up for outside use. I also purchased the cadence monitor a couple of years ago - it pairs easily with the 305, and allows me extra info when I'm using my bike - indoors or out.

My bf has the newest model, and the HR monitor no longer works. This doesn't surprise me though. It seems that every time Garmin launches a new product, it seems to have a bunch of bugs for the first year or two.

I'd confidently recommend the 305. There's nothing it doesn't do that I wish it did. I've run 1 marathon and 9 halfs plus countless shorter distances with mine. No complaints from me.

As for purchasing one, in Canada, Costco (I think, Sam's Club in the USA) has both the 305 (it always makes me wonder why they don't discontinue old models when they introduce something new....maybe because the 305 is awesome) and the new model at much less expensive prices than running stores.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Also, if you go with the 305, you can use all the money you would have spent on the new model on new running clothes!
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Also, if you go with the 305, you can use all the money you would have spent on the new model on new running clothes!

Does the 305 track calories burned with the HRM?
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have the 610.. it was pricey, but I am SO glad I spent the money... everything I read has people holding on to their GPS watch for many years, so I considered it worth it to spend the extra for the 610 with HRM and foot pod.

I love to have the data available afterward and love the coaching from the Garmin during my runs.

Ted
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have the Forerunner 405cx. It meets all my needs.
  • Cooriander
    Options
    I did consider the 305 - and it was close, I opted for a smaller and less bulkier watch, that was the trade-off, I saw it... if price is more important the 305 is really a great deal!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The 305s are great but when mine croaked I went for the 610 (the 910s hadn't been released yet) I like the form factor for the 610 - like a bigger sports watch and the touch screen is great. The one thing I miss from my 305 is the display - it's big enough for feeble old eyes like mine to read it easily.

If you're looking at functionality and price I'd go for a 305. (There were lots of runners wearing them at the Ottawa Marathon & Half-Marathon)
  • sufikitkat
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    ive got a forerunner 60 with footpod, good if you run on a treadmill, its been a real good hrm
  • shoby68
    shoby68 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have the Garmin 405cx and absolutely love it. The 410 has replaced it with the same features, but has a new algorithm for the hrm.
    The watch wirelessly connects to my computer and uploads automatically to the garmin connect site, which is great for keeping track of your running, and setting goals etc....

In Canada you can get the 410 at costco for $199, which is lower than I have seen anywere else (and it includes the hrm).

If you want really cool, the 610 is expensive, but the touch screen look neat.
  • LongRunner77
    LongRunner77 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend the 305. Used it for years and it was great until my dog decided to chew it up. This time I opted for the 310 which has a 20 hour battery life which I hope to test out one day. I noticed the 305 has gone up quite a bit in price since I first purchased it years ago, but it's still cheaper than a lot of other models. As a first Garmin I would go with the 305....
  • sufikitkat
    Options
    'I ended up with the 210. The 305 was out of my price range and a bit big for my wrist too. Still in recovery from my marathon Sunday so won't get to try until Saturday though!
  • LittleTurnip
    LittleTurnip Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have and love the FR60. I chose this model as I wanted a watch that didn't need constant charging. This one works on a standard button cell battery that will last for about a year. I have the HRM strap and the footpod as well.
    I am not interested in mapping via GPS, but love tracking my mileage. I upload my data directly to RunningAhead via usb stick thing.
  • ktbia
    ktbia Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Husband and I have 610 and we both love them. We saved up and bought them with our tax refund. Well worth the money.
    I used to use runkeeper and my phone but wanted the hr function. The GPS is an added bonus!
    He also bought me a footpod but I haven't synced it yet.

I did see a groupon a while back for the Garmin, 410, I think? It was a really good deal online...