Any advice for avoiding DOMS?

Options
2»

Replies

• oats4breakfast
    Options
    Don't do a million squats eh ? DOMs is a good thing IMO - so if you want to avoid it, don't exercise.
    This will always help; not in avoidance, but in coping when it happens bad.
    - stretch after every workout - spend 10-20 minutes doing it. Use bands to get a good stretch going.
    - Lookup trigger point therapy. Get a roller and/or lacrosse ball and roll often. Find and get into your hot spots. Do this when you are both sore and not sore .... it is painful to start with, but if you add it to your 10-20 minute stretch routine, you'll be better for it.

I also don't like to take ibuprofen etc for this type of thing. Let you body be naturally inflamed and allow it to recover. Our bodies are designed for this. Save the ibuprofen for when you actually need it. In my experience, a dose of ibuprofen does nothing to help me walk down the stairs or sit or whatever after a million squats and lunges. Roll it out will help though (but is extremely painful when doing, so use a soft roller, not the firm one).

I will also workout again when "doms" is in action. It may take me a few minutes to get going, but I'm always better for it - even if it's just temporary. Never has it caused any injury (over and above another inherent risk of exercising).