Does anyone have a good source for calories burned...

Options
....for different physical activities? I mean credible, certifiable, backed up with research?

I'm new to this exercise recording business and I see such wildly varying reports everywhere that it makes me really uncertain. I would love to read something with actual citations if possible (ie something academic or with research to back it up).

I just don't want to record that I've been walking 20 mins (1 mile) to the gym and say it's 100 calories when it's really 20! After a week that adds up to a BIG discrepancy!

Anyone? Help?

Replies

• Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have the same concerns. What I tend to do is just go with the lower calorie number burned. This way if I've burned more calories, yay for me! :) If you find anything out let me know.
  • blondejester
    Options
    i'd love this as well, i always put less calories than mfp says because i don't know if it's right but i could be burning more!
  • KristysLosing
    KristysLosing Posts: 683
    Options
    Best way is to invest in a heart rate monitor. I don't have one, but that's what I see around here.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are very accurate for cardio exercises. I have one & I love it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I would suggest investing in a heart rate monitor... I personally use a Polar FT60... Polar is a very good name brand and will allow you to get a more accurate calorie burn for your exercise... Got mine off of heartratemonitorusa.com Best of Luck....
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    Unfortunately I am not in a position to spend the 100$ it seems is neccesary to get a good heartrate monitor (money is kind of tight right now). The suggestion is appreciated and duely noted for when the next big windfall comes my way, but for now any alternatives would be appreciated!