Eliminating Processed Foods

So I recently bought and began reading Primal Body, Primal Mind and I am really enjoying it. While I am not completely on board with the Paleo or Primal diets for several reasons, I've really taken the suggestion to eliminate processed foods (especially processed carbohydrates) to heart. This is only my second day really going at it, but I'm realizing that every single day is going to be a battle against processed foods because they're just so ubiquitous in our daily lives. I was wondering if anyone has gone through or is currently going through a similar transition and could share their experiences. I'm also looking for friends that have similar goals in regards to clean eating and have no problem holding me accountable for the choices that I make (and vice versa). Sometimes a kick in the butt is just what I need!

Replies

• miamigirl123
    miamigirl123 Posts: 16 Member
    Hey girl! YAY for you! I tried the Dukan Diet for a few months and it's a high protein, low carb/fat diet. While the diet is ridiculously hard to maintain, it really made me realize how much processed foods I've been eating. My body truly feels better when I put good natural fuel into it! I'm a major snacker and definitely allow myself to cheat a few times a week but I do try to make healthy swaps like chips for popcorn or nuts. For me, the goal to eating less processed foods is about feeling better and allowing my body to use my food more efficiently, not about weight loss. Keep up the good work lady!!!! Your body will appreciate it :)
  • cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Hey girl! YAY for you! I tried the Dukan Diet for a few months and it's a high protein, low carb/fat diet. While the diet is ridiculously hard to maintain, it really made me realize how much processed foods I've been eating. My body truly feels better when I put good natural fuel into it! I'm a major snacker and definitely allow myself to cheat a few times a week but I do try to make healthy swaps like chips for popcorn or nuts. For me, the goal to eating less processed foods is about feeling better and allowing my body to use my food more efficiently, not about weight loss. Keep up the good work lady!!!! Your body will appreciate it :)

Hell, if I'm going to look like you, I will SURELY be sticking with it. Just kidding, of course. I'll be sticking with it either way. ;) I'm definitely feeling much better when I avoid processed foods, but that also might be a little placebo effect occurring inside of my head (but if I'm feeling good, who cares what the reason is?). I'm also glad to hear that you cheat a few times a week because it makes me feel better about my slip-ups which typically occur while snacking. I really think that if I just take it day by day though that this will be something I can overcome. It is my third full day without bread and that has been fairly easy to be honest. It is the snacks that get me.

Also props on the Dukan Diet. I read somewhere that Kate Middleton uses that to stay so impossibly slim.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    I have almost completely made that transition over the past 17 years. My oldest child is 16 and I started really thinking about toxins in food when I was pregnant with him. At first it was overwhelming and I started with just a few things. Then I added more. I was just realizing the other day that now I sometimes go days without ANY foods I consider processed. Mostly I get them when I eat in restaurants. I recently read something I had never thought about... many of the cooking oils are pretty processed. I never really gave that much thought before. So while I had pretty much gotten to where I use olive oil for most things, my most recent change is to attempt to cut out all oils besides olive. So far it hasn't been a problem.

Thinking back, I think I started out avoiding certain foods unless they were organic. Over time, avoiding conventionally grown ingredients of certain types resulted it eating less processed foods. They sort of go hand in hand.

Different things work for different people, but for me, making gradual changes has been the way to go. It didn't keep me from getting fat, but I think it has made me healthier anyway, and it has made the dietary changes I've needed to make to lose weight much easier to make.

Good luck!