I hate water

Options
I have only been on this diet for 11 days and I feel like if I see another glass of water I will scream! I am not a drinker. Before diet I would drink my cereal's milk for breakfast, have a coke at lunch and water for dinner. That's it. Nothing in between. I just don't like to drink much of anything. Now on this diet I have been trying to get at least 8 cups of water, if not more, in me. I feel bloated all the time and I'm sick of being in the bathroom all the time. Any advice for that bloated feeling or for making the water more palatable? I tried Mio to flavor the water and didn't like it all all.

Replies

• creativephoenix
    creativephoenix Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make iced tea at home, and sweeten it with Splenda. Definitely tastes better than plain water, plus it has good antioxidants in it if you drink green tea. I will often bring a container of it to work with me as well, so I set goals of after every two glasses of water that I have, I get to drink a glass of tea!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I add lemon juice to my water. Helps for me.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Simple but effective. Gradually stop drinking other beverages and replace them with water (maybe over a 3 week period or so). Do this by drinking a glass of water with every glass of another beverage. It will change your taste buds and will make it easier to adapt to the water and actually enjoy the taste. I went from a very bad Coca Cola habit to mostly drinking water and the occasional unsweetened green tea for over a year now. I can easily get in 100 oz a day.

You can also start by watering down your beverages by 1/2.

Now when I drink a soda or other beverage, it tastes too strong and/or too sweet.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I don't drink 8 glasses of water. Not in the camp that believes it is necessary.

I drink when I'm thirsty. Sometimes that is a lot in a day, and other days, when I'm getting more water from my food (fruit, especially), I may drink less.

Today, for example, 2 coffess in the morning, probably a 20 oz glass of water in the afternoon, and a 12 oz glass of water tonight. Four cups of water, 2 coffees, and I'm fine.
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this as being harsh, because I totally don't mean it that way.

Drink it anyway.

I used to not like water, too, but I made myself drink it... and now I find I crave it all the time.

Something that might help is either buying bottled water or getting a Brita filter, or maybe try adding lemon or lime slices to it?
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My fave is Crystal Light Wild Strawberry with a squeeze of lemon. This hits the spot!
  • blondejester
    Options
    you just need to think about how good it is for you because i used to HATE WATER. i had soda all the time and only had a water when i was forced to and now i drink 10+ a day on a good day. i promise that you will get used to it. just slowly start having one cup, two cups, and i bet it will become second nature. i've just added a lemon in my water and it gives it more of a flavor.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I add lemon juice to my water. Helps for me.

^this. and crystal light is yummy (just too much of it irritates my tummy)

but then again I LOVE water, always have. and I workout a good bit so I'm pretty sure I would die if I *ONLY* had 8 cups of water a day. I don't even bother tracking it because I KNOW I get enough.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's one of those things you're just going to have to accept and learn to like. I was a strict soda drinker for a long time and switched to water full time overnight. At first I didn't like it, but now water is virtually all I drink and I love it.

As for the increased volume of liquid, maybe you just need to give your body some time to adjust. I've always been a big liquid drinker though, since I dehydrate easily, so I'm sadly not much help there.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Make a big pitcher with cut up cucumber and strawberries in it.... wonderful!
  • svetz
    svetz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I hardly ever drink fluids throughout the day. My morning coffee takes me 2 hours atleast to get down. I have tried crystal light, sun tea, mio etc... Lately the only thing that has helped me is a mind over matter attitude. I got the 1 liter size bottle from Evian and I make myself drink 2 refills per day - or try to atleast. It helps to just gulp it down as fast as possible a few times a day - make it a competition with yourself to hit the goal. I think water tastes gross, but this is what has helped me in the past couple weeks. I simply make myself do it... but I think it is helping. So just commit to it in your mind and you can do it! Good luck!
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't like water either and I hate all the diet add ins for water...they taste like crap to me. What I have found is that I like TruLime packs and it gives just enough taste to the water that I don't mind it. I'll never be a huge fan of wate but I do my best to get my 64oz in daily. Sometimes I do better than others but I just keep trying. It has been a few months since I started the water thing and it's better than it used to be. If I drink a coffee or a diet soda or ice tea then the next drink I have is water. 1 for 1 sort of thing. :) Good luck!
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I squeeze a little lemon juice in mine
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this as being harsh, because I totally don't mean it that way.

Drink it anyway.

I used to not like water, too, but I made myself drink it... and now I find I crave it all the time.

Something that might help is either buying bottled water or getting a Brita filter, or maybe try adding lemon or lime slices to it?

This is what I was going to say: Drink it anyway! If you were drinking milk on your cereal, a coke for lunch, and a glass of water at dinner, you've been walking around chronically dehydrated.

Another thought: We're talking about 64oz a day spread out over about 16 hours that you're awake during the day. That's 4 ounces/120ml a hour. That's not that much.
  • skripka98
    skripka98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am exercising but not burning calories....could it be from lack of water. How do I find out how much water I should be drinking?
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I drink a water called Fruit2O. There are several flavors. If I get tired of it, I switch to another brand of flavored water. You can also drink unsweatened tea, or coffee. If you are using the restroom a lot you might want to take a look at your sugar intake. Sugar will make you go more frequently. I stopped drinking soda all together, and it's all I used to drink. It was very hard to stop! But my dietician is adamant about not drinking your calories. I carry a bottled water with me everywhere, and before I know it I've had 5 or 6 16 once bottles for the day. I don't like warm water either, so if my bottle gets warm I grab another one from the fridge and put the warm one back in.

It is hard, but you can do it!!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My fave is Crystal Light Wild Strawberry with a squeeze of lemon. This hits the spot!

Wild Strawberry Crystal Light is the nectar of the Gods.

People on this site tend to hate on Artificial Sweeteners like Crystal light..but I drink them constantly.

As long as my Dietician and Dr. tell me that I can drink them, and my loss is moving along, I sure as heck am gonna :)
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am exercising but not burning calories....could it be from lack of water. How do I find out how much water I should be drinking?

My doctor advised that I should drink enough that my urine was never darker than a light lemonade. If you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated. If you feel hungry, sometimes it is actually dehydration instead.

If you're exercising, try to drink a glass or 2 of water before, a glass during for every hour you work out and a glass or 2 afterward. It really helps my workout when I'm well hydrated.
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    Why not add some fruit to water? I do it and it tastes great, especially stuff like strawberries and mango. Yum yum yum.. then after I eat the fruit hehe :)