Bag the potato?

I'm a creature of habit and most successful with structure. I eat the same thing for breakfast & lunch and always have grilled chicken for dinner. I will either have grilled asparagus or steamed broccoli on the side. I am considering incorporating something different in my diet. This is a bit scary for me especially knowing sweet potatoes are 93% carbs. However, my understanding is they are a good, healthy carb and I would benefit by adding it. Not every night...but maybe on my big nights at the gym. Bag the potato or to not bag the potato?

Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    The body needs carbs, and if you're craving or wanting one - go for it. If you don't eat a lot of carbs you'll store some and experience bloat. It's not a bad thing - your body is supposed to do this.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 666 Member
    No need to fear carbs. And what bradthemedic said
  • Cravenamanda
    Cravenamanda Posts: 54 Member
    I just bought sweet potatoes for dinner! They are nutrition packed and delicious, say yes!
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    I was on Atkins and cut out nearly all carbs. I now eat fruit and veggies all day and no unhealthy carbs (well, a few here and there) But I do eat sweet potatoes, but definatley not regular starchy potatoes. A little bit of cinnamon and brown sugar and you'll be set.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    I see no reason to avoid potatoes. At one point i had a large baked potato with a filling nightly and dropped weight really fast so i think to avoid them thinking they are bad for weight loss is rather silly. They are full of healthy nutrients and keep full for quite some time.
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    I love sweet potatoes, and even plain old russet potatoes baked with broccoli and some cheese on top. As long as they fit into my calories and macros, they're fair game IMO.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    I love root veggies :D But I never have plain potatoes, I always have yams, boniato (white sweet potato), Jicama, etc. Haha although I'm funny and basically HAVE to make fries out of them instead of baking them. I dry fry them and they are soo good.