Amount of Calories for Husband and Wife

Options
Hey Ya'll,

I have an odd question, my husband is supposed to eat a little over 1700 calories and because he is a lot smaller than I am, my calories are 2500. My question is has anyone found it difficult to make the same meals and snacks and keep the calories on track for both people? Also I dont usually hit my Calories, I am usually hitting no more than 1900, so should or could I just make that my target as well?

Input/Suggestions would be awesome!

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    My husband has a higher calorie goal than me, so he usually takes an extra serving of something at dinner when he needs the extra calories, and also he eats higher calorie lunches at work than I do.

Another tip is to have the person with the higher calorie goal drink some of their calories - lowfat milk, 100% fruit juice, etc (and yes, they all count as cups of fluids).
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    Because there is a foot difference between me & my husband (plus he is more sedentary and I am more active) our calories actually even out to be about the same for him to maintain and me to lose. I would suggest just eating larger portions of the food you make or eat some extra snacks. Cheese, nuts, avocado etc
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    dunno why I had something way different in mind when I read the topic of the post LOL :laugh:
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I eat less than my boyfriend because he wants to gain weight (annoying!) Some things I do: I make his meat portions larger than mine; I make my vegetable portions larger; if he insists on macaroni and cheese, I double my vegetables; when he eats desert, I make a homemade smoothie; I'll eat a much smaller sweet potato than his baked potato. We are still sharing the same meal, and it's not much of a hassle...I know you have the opposite issue, but hope that helps! :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    my husband eats more than me. Usually he eats more during the day than I do so dinner equals out ok for us. Can you eat more snacks just during the day?
  • Evningstar81
    Evningstar81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks guys! I think my issue is I am the one who has more calories and I am focused on mine, and so I tend to try and make too much for my husband!

I think I will just flip it though. Concentrate on his food and then just add extra snacks to mine. :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    We eat the same things, but just different sized portions. And I add extra snacks to his lunchbox (2 muesli bar and apples instead of one for example). Life is too short to cook different things, portion size is the key. Or adding extras to your meals like a larger serve of avocado, eat nuts for a snack when he is having fruit, add cheese to your sandwich but not his - that kind of thing.
  • Evningstar81
    Evningstar81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We eat the same things, but just different sized portions. And I add extra snacks to his lunchbox (2 muesli bar and apples instead of one for example). Life is too short to cook different things, portion size is the key. Or adding extras to your meals like a larger serve of avocado, eat nuts for a snack when he is having fruit, add cheese to your sandwich but not his - that kind of thing.

That is so true ("life is too short to cook different things") I like the ideas you have. Going to most definately do that. :)