Dark armpit skin?

Options
2»

Replies

• shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i have it too...doctor knows and isnt concerned. i just have skin discoloration, but at least now i can consider myself in good company! :)
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    This is probably the one and only time it pays to be extremely pale. If you have no melanin to speak of, it's hard to have heavier concentrations of it in unwanted places. But it still sucks when small children become terrified and start to cry when they see my white legs...

:laugh:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I have this too. The Dove deodorant worked somewhat, and I'm more comfortable, but some darkness is still there. I used to be very self-conscious but now to me it's just one of those little things I can't control. I just don't raise my arms if I'm wearing sleeveless things.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    If you shave I would definitely stop! Shaving started to make my underarms darken so I started waxing. After a few months the color went back to normal. Now I just wax it myself regularly.
  • mdrngypsy
    mdrngypsy Posts: 17
    Options
    I use my face exfoliating scrub on my arm pits. Seems to have lightened that area right up.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you shave I would definitely stop! Shaving started to make my underarms darken so I started waxing. After a few months the color went back to normal. Now I just wax it myself regularly.

Waxing made a big difference for me--one of the problems with shaving is the stubble looks darker. I also eventually got laser hair removal in my underarms so the need to wax now is minimal.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that this was such a common issue. I don't have it but feel for you all. Glad there is good support. :flowerforyou:
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've been using the dove deodorant and haven't noticed a difference. I tried to wax but I don't think I let the hair grow long enough. Then I tried plucking the hairs, one armpit was easier to do than the other and there's so many hairs in that little area that it was taking forever so I gave up. I was thinking of trying bleach next.
  • jerbear67
    jerbear67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    In most cases this is a case of Acanthosis nigricans. This is common to see in people who are over weight. This is also a sign of diabetes. You are going to want to make an appointment with your doctor to be checked for diabetes. I had this when I had diabetes. Mine is now gone since I have lost the weight that I have lost and maintained a low carb diet.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    It's just caused by skin rubbing together :P Some people are affected more than others.

Crazy the things women worry about :laugh:

Its not crazy...

The dark patches are called Acanthosis Nigricans... the darkening is the result of the body's overproduction of insulin. It can be found under the arms, inner thighs, inner labia, back of the neck, your facial cheeks..

Hyperinsulinemia is not something you want...

Please - anyone who sees this should seek the medical advice of an Endocrinologist who is familiar with hyperinsulinemia and/or PCOS
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    this is called Acanthosis nigricans, it is a symptom of insulin resistance

This. I had it under my arms, between my legs and around my neck when I had pre-diabetes after gaining all of my weight.

yes, but as someone else said, it can also be caused by the pill. OP, ask you dr for a blood test.

+1 on the OP getting a blood test. I think it appears in more than one spot on the body if it's related to insulin resistance. I had it on my neck and underarms, and it was a real wake-up call - began changing my diet and it went away. I, too, should have had a blood test them. I've had several since and my blood sugar is normal.

It's also a symptom of PCOS also.