Weight training & Cardio on the same day

Options
Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
Quick question, on the days where my programme has me doing both cardio & weights on the same day, is it better to do the cardio 1st (but therefore tiring my body) or to do the cardio last (which can sometimes lead to skipping it because I am tired). Is there a rule?

Replies

• do4fit
    do4fit Posts: 23
    Options
    idk if there is a rule, but my PT always has us do our run before we do the weights/strength on measurement day... well any day but measurement day has the "big" run.
  • tjames719
    tjames719 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ive heard you should do weight first then cardio. Thats how I do it because like you after cardio sometimes I dont feel like doing weights.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I've heard to do weight training first so that you're not so tired that you can't use good form (and thus be ineffective or hurt yourself), but a personal trainer that I went to said it really didn't matter regarding weight loss and toning. If you can't keep good form when you're tired, then do weight training first. And honestly, weight training does more for weight loss and toning than cardio does, so if you're going to skip something, I would skip cardio if you just can't do it because you're too tired.
  • KellyMirth
    KellyMirth Posts: 153
    Options
    Personally I found that I do better if I do my strength training first or I run out of energy before I'm done. I'm not really sure why that is but that's how it works for me.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I've had different trainers and until recently I've always been told to do 5 minutes before and at least 20 minutes after. My new trainer is having me do 20-ish minutes before and 20-30 minutes after. I'm seeing WAY better results with him!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you must do them on the same day, do cardio after weights.

Resistance training uses glycogen (sugar stored in muscles) for it's energy source.

If you do the cardio first, you will deplete your body of the glycogen first and not have it available for the resistance training. Cardio can switch over to other energy sources rather than glycogen.

However, not doing them on the same day is even better that way you don't short change either one from an intensity standpoint.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    My personal trainer says strength training first, something to do with lactic acid. Lol. I dont remember exactly why.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Most say do cardio after.

I say split it up if you can.. When I lift, I am dead tired afterwards and do not even want to look a treadmill, let alone get on one for some cardio.
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Options
    My PT has me do weights first then cardio, I do not know if it matters though
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I always do weights first. I do cardio six days a week and weights three. When it ones to strength training days that is my focus. Cardio uses a ton of energy and lifting while already tired/fatigued from cardio just seems counter productive at best, and dangerous at worst. Just my opinion but it's worked great for me!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your body is warmed up for the strength training, it doesn't matter.

At a certain point, it all is getting much too particular. Just work out and do your best with how things fit with your lifestyle/preferences. If you are are more likely to skip one or the other because of which is first, you have your answer already. :flowerforyou:
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Not sure you are supposed to do them on the same day. Good question! Interested in hearing what others have to say on this.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Alternate. Switch'em up. Intermingle'em.

Try different routines every day.

Just don't over do it and know when to call it a day when you do.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    cardio last. strength first. but sometimes i do -do (lol) the reverse. but most 99% cardio last.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Both strength training and running uses glycogen as fuel. One method I like to do is do my strength training first and then I would do a brisk walk on the treadmill for an hour. This brisk walk uses mainly fat as fuel rather than glycogen. I just make sure I do it for a whole hour to make sure it burns a good amount of calories. I burn 400 calories with the speed set on 3.3mph and incline to 4.0.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your body is warmed up for the strength training, it doesn't matter.

At a certain point, it all is getting much too particular. Just work out and do your best with how things fit with your lifestyle/preferences. :flowerforyou:

This ^^^
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i usually do 10min cardio to warm up, then weights then another 30min cardio. i think it's all up to how your body feels.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    If you must do them on the same day, do cardio after weights.

Resistance training uses glycogen (sugar stored in muscles) for it's energy source.

If you do the cardio first, you will deplete your body of the glycogen first and not have it available for the resistance training. Cardio can switch over to other energy sources rather than glycogen.

However, not doing them on the same day is even better that way you don't short change either one from an intensity standpoint.

Thanks for taking time to explain!:flowerforyou:
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Thanks - will do the cardio last for a while and mix it up as I go.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I was always taught to do weight lifting first. This order has worked for me.

1 - Warm up
    2 - Stretch
    3 - Strength training
    4 - Cardio
    5 - Cool down
    6 - Stretch
    7 - Eat quality food
    8 - Get quality rest

And if you are feeling ambitious, do a few extra high weight, low rep sets of whatever you were just lifting AFTER your cardio.

If you ride your bicycle TO the gym, and stop to stretch along the way, you can save a lot of time IN the gym. I count that as my warm up and cool down.