Does anyone get 10,000 steps a day ????

Options

Replies

• GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I probably do. How many steps do you take to walk a mile? Maybe 3-4000? So I'd you walk 3 miles you should get close.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I can do it, but it takes a bit of effort, as I am a slug who truly enjoys sitting in front of the computer.
  • stacenee14
    stacenee14 Posts: 39
    Options
    I log my steps for the day with the calories corresponding to it. I wear a pedometer. It is definitely exercise.

I do the same as this poster. We currently have a walking challenge going on in my office all summer to see who gets the most steps at the end. Its a great motivator to get away from my desk during the day and walk more. I too, wear a pedometer so I know exactly how many steps I take and calories burned. On average with no cardio I walk between 5-6,000 steps a day. It is very difficult to reach 10k steps. I do have a desk job and find if I had a more active job it would be easier.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Actually the CDC suggests 7,000 steps/day. To accomplish this each day add a half hour walk to your normal day.

The 10,000 is weight watchers suggestion. Days you reach it it's an added bonus of course, but it also means you went above and beyond that extra 1/2 hour walk from the time you get up to the time you go to bed.

I used to work for a great company (with an amazing worldwide reputation) that went with the 7,000 suggestion. They wanted to follow all of the research and not just some random number a for-profit company (WW) came up with.
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Options
    I get about 25,000 steps a day and I'm in a Service Desk(Desk job)
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    i linked my fitbit to mfp and it logs them for me, also i only get 10,000 and up on days i take my kids for "bed time" walks
  • bass2be1
    bass2be1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    since you have had your fitbit for awhile now, how do you like it and do you still use it.
    I have one and I have really enjoyed it. I get on a average of 14,00 to 16,00 steps a day. I llike it that they (fitbit) will send me a weekly update of the weeks steps and miles and calories.
    bonita
  • echolsj
    Options
    I do about 3-4 miles walk plus a relatively active lifestyle.. I normally logged about 12-13,000 steps on normal days and about 17-18,000 steps on busy days.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and have my step goal set to 12,500. I can usually get that in easily if I take a 1 hour walk every day. Many days I'm well over 20,000.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I get about 25,000 steps a day and I'm in a Service Desk(Desk job)

I work in a service desk/desk job and I'm lucky to get 5k steps. I think you may leave your house and/or travel further than me haha.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit so it logs it for me. I only get extra calories if I get above 6,000 or so and even then it is only a few extra. Still the FitBit gets me motivated to get off my butt and get moving on those low step days!
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My fitbit tells me I do.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Most days I do log 10K-12K steps.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have not done it daily for a few months (too busy to take a small walk after) but yes, I nearly ALWAYS was hitting all my fitbit goals, the harder one being the fitness one. Stairs and steps were easy. I could rock 4k step just walking through every isle at Kroger ;)
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Fit and it also logs steps. It seems I only reach 10,000 steps on days I do cardio, otherwise I end up short. Since the BMF calculates my calorie burn I count everything I do as exercise!

^^ She typed it so I won't.
  • brendapalmer146
    brendapalmer146 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip and I average anywhere from 13k-23K steps per day...depends if I do a run, I walk my dogs for an hour a day daily, plus just working, getting stuff done around my house, getting my son from school, housework etc. I dont sit down much. I only log running or my hour long walk I dont log anything else for exercise. it is do able and even on days Im not active I still manage 10K steps. My dog walk alone gets me about 7k steps just in that.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    On running days I get 10,000 steps in before most people are out of bed.

On lifting days I find it harder to get in 10,000 steps because I work a desk job. I have to take a lunch time and evening walk to get them in, generally.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    On days where I don't do much extra cardio, I usually get around 5-6K
    But on cardio days I can get anywhere from 10-13k
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I get a MINIMUM of 10,000 steps in...usually it is almost 20,000 by the end of the day AND I am a SAHM and all kids are in school!:drinker:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 5 miles (@11,500 steps). I try to hit ten miles twice a week. I wear a fitbit zip that logs it to MFP for me. As long as I reach 10,000 steps every day, though, I feel like I am moving enough.