Diet Depression?

Options
Hey guys! I have been on this diet for about 45 day or so (counting calories, eating healthy, and lots of excercise). I was just wondering if it is kind of normal to get some sort of "diet depression". I have just been feeling overwhelmed. I feel like this diet has consumed my life. I miss food. I miss socializing (which usually involves food or alcohol for most people). I feel like I am overly irritable and emotional. When the scale doesn't move its hard to handle. I am commited to this and am going to ride it out. I was just wondering if this is normal? I know lots of people say that irritablity can be a sign you should eat more but I have been eating plenty I promise. Has anyone else experienced this? I really hope I'm not just losing it. Any words of encouragement would be great! Please be kind!

Replies

• comogirl
    comogirl Posts: 154 Member
    Options
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    For me it got hard when the initial novelty wore off and I realised I was in this for the long term.

I know you said you're eating enough, but are you really? Are you eating all the cals the MFP recommends plus the cals you burn from exercise? If not, then you may not be eating enough. Do you have your goals set with a realistic deficit? (ie. if you only have 20 pounds to lose, then setting "lose 2 pounds a week" is probably not doing you any favours).

Are you exercising to excess? Exercise is important, but doing too much just stresses your body and doesn't bring a lot more benefits than exercising moderately.

I can't see your diary so I'm only taking a guess here, if all these things are in order, then maybe this is the time to start thinking about some strategies so you can still do the things you enjoy, you can't let "dieting" come in the way of your social life, but it does take some work to make them fit together.

Here's some things that have worked for me:
    - plan social occasions so they don't revolve only around food. I often meet a friend for coffee on the weekend so now I'll suggest that we go for a walk first and then have a coffee. Instead of a cake, I might choose a (smallish) cookie or just have the coffee without cake.
    - if I'm going out to dinner, I'll try to check out the menu first so I have an idea of what is going to be a healtheir option to choose.
    - if it's an occasion where there will be drinking, I usually alternate an alcoholic drink with a sparkling mineral water (in a glass with ice and lemon and a straw, it looks like a "real" drink!). Or you can volunteer to be the designated driver.
    - if it is a special occasion (like my birthday) I forget about counting calories for the day and enjoy a delicious meal out without worrying about the consequences.

And regarding the scale - that can be tough! I found it helpful to chart my weight loss weekly. Then if my weight went up one week I could see that it was just a blip (usually related to my monthly cycle) and that the overall pattern was moving down.

Hang in there, if you need a break to keep your sanity, there is nothing wrong with setting your goals to maintenance for a week every now and again, or just stop counting altogether for the weekend (but try to make healthy choices anyway).

Good luck!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you started this topic because I am new on MFP 1 month and do not know how to start a topic on the message board. Please tell me how you did it?

In answer to your question every time I think the scale is not moving but I see I am losing inches , I know I am following my eating plan so what gives? I have not eaten anywhere close to 2000 calories, but can't understand a lb or 2 lb weight gain, or no loss on the scale. A deep overwhelming depression hits me so hard it is as if the depression was a boulder I would be buried alive in an avalanche!

The encouraging news is the worse of the depression, hopelessness, irritability,anger, toward my husband mainly, comes right before a whoosh the scale changes and I lose weight! This brings me for at least a day out of the deep depression. I tell you the truth, I get tears in my eyes just thinking of eating a real candy bar! I am on low carb for the rest of my life, kicking sugar in March was like a junkie trying to kick heroin from what I hear it is even harder. I want to encourage you don't give up, your body is on the brink of a weight loss miracle just like mine, the scale does not always reflect the inches that are lost. I am going through deep depression again but I know it means there is a whoosh of a weight drop coming.
  • comogirl
    Options
    For me it got hard when the initial novelty wore off and I realised I was in this for the long term.

I know you said you're eating enough, but are you really? Are you eating all the cals the MFP recommends plus the cals you burn from exercise? If not, then you may not be eating enough. Do you have your goals set with a realistic deficit? (ie. if you only have 20 pounds to lose, then setting "lose 2 pounds a week" is probably not doing you any favours).

Are you exercising to excess? Exercise is important, but doing too much just stresses your body and doesn't bring a lot more benefits than exercising moderately.

I can't see your diary so I'm only taking a guess here, if all these things are in order, then maybe this is the time to start thinking about some strategies so you can still do the things you enjoy, you can't let "dieting" come in the way of your social life, but it does take some work to make them fit together.

Here's some things that have worked for me:
    - plan social occasions so they don't revolve only around food. I often meet a friend for coffee on the weekend so now I'll suggest that we go for a walk first and then have a coffee. Instead of a cake, I might choose a (smallish) cookie or just have the coffee without cake.
    - if I'm going out to dinner, I'll try to check out the menu first so I have an idea of what is going to be a healtheir option to choose.
    - if it's an occasion where there will be drinking, I usually alternate an alcoholic drink with a sparkling mineral water (in a glass with ice and lemon and a straw, it looks like a "real" drink!). Or you can volunteer to be the designated driver.
    - if it is a special occasion (like my birthday) I forget about counting calories for the day and enjoy a delicious meal out without worrying about the consequences.

And regarding the scale - that can be tough! I found it helpful to chart my weight loss weekly. Then if my weight went up one week I could see that it was just a blip (usually related to my monthly cycle) and that the overall pattern was moving down.

Hang in there, if you need a break to keep your sanity, there is nothing wrong with setting your goals to maintenance for a week every now and again, or just stop counting altogether for the weekend (but try to make healthy choices anyway).

Good luck!
    Thank you so much for the advice. I am eating my excercise calories back. But I hadnt thought about switching to a maintinance level for a week and going back. I have a lot of weight to lose. Thank you so much for your response.
  • Beatlegirl66
    Beatlegirl66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wow...I think "diet depression" is exactly what I am going through. I have lost 46 pounds since January, but the novelty has worn off for me. Counting calories is making me feel awful and I just feel so down in the dumps. My clothes haven't change much, no one has really even noticed my weight loss. I knew this was going to be hard, but honestly I think I have some depression with all of this.

thanks for at least helping me understand what I am going through!

Sara S.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have been losing and gaining the same 5 lbs for five months now, following my lifestyle change and 95% giving up processed foods and junk. I have the same feeling of dread when I step on the scale every day and I have been depressed for months. I feel nothing but stress when my friends invite me out for drinks or for dinner somewhere. I hope it passes, but I am to the point where I think I probably will never get to my goal weight.

I think it is probably normal to feel this when you want it so bad and it isn't happening.
  • comogirl
    Options
    I am so glad you started this topic because I am new on MFP 1 month and do not know how to start a topic on the message board. Please tell me how you did it?

In answer to your question every time I think the scale is not moving but I see I am losing inches , I know I am following my eating plan so what gives? I have not eaten anywhere close to 2000 calories, but can't understand a lb or 2 lb weight gain, or no loss on the scale. A deep overwhelming depression hits me so hard it is as if the depression was a boulder I would be buried alive in an avalanche!

The encouraging news is the worse of the depression, hopelessness, irritability,anger, toward my husband mainly, comes right before a whoosh the scale changes and I lose weight! This brings me for at least a day out of the deep depression. I tell you the truth, I get tears in my eyes just thinking of eating a real candy bar! I am on low carb for the rest of my life, kicking sugar in March was like a junkie trying to kick heroin from what I hear it is even harder. I want to encourage you don't give up, your body is on the brink of a weight loss miracle just like mine, the scale does not always reflect the inches that are lost. I am going through deep depression again but I know it means there is a whoosh of a weight drop coming.
    Go to the category you wnat to post under. Click on it and at the top there should be a green button that says new topic (or something) and you click that to start your own! Glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for responding.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yes I believe this happens and I am getting to the point that I have not lost weight for awhile now and just want to give up. It has been 1 1/2 years since I started and it is rather annoying! I thought I would have been at my goal weight by now. :(
  • comogirl
    Options
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen this mentioned yet, so also be sure that you're getting some fats... the saturated ones are generally not going to help you, but a lack of the unsaturated ones seem to have a link with depression. If you're just frustrated at a lack of scale progress, that's understandable, but if you're actually beginning to experience *depression* check your fat intake... possibly consider a raise of omega-3s.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I know it's a life change but I wish I wouldn't allow it to consume my every day :(
  • comogirl
    Options
    Wow...I think "diet depression" is exactly what I am going through. I have lost 46 pounds since January, but the novelty has worn off for me. Counting calories is making me feel awful and I just feel so down in the dumps. My clothes haven't change much, no one has really even noticed my weight loss. I knew this was going to be hard, but honestly I think I have some depression with all of this.

thanks for at least helping me understand what I am going through!

Sara S.
    Hang in there and I will too and we will succeed. Its just hard when you are so emotional you know?
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't ban certain food groups. If I try, then I get that depressed feeling because I feel like I'm depriving myself and missing out on things...and in the past, that has always led to giving up and giving in, and gaining all the weight back and then some. It's completely possible to lose weight and still eat what you want. The trick is to eat the unhealthy foods in moderation, and to substitute where you can. For example, I still eat cheese and other dairy but I get the low-fat kind instead. I've substituted ground turkey for ground beef, etc. I've limited carbs but not banned them- I rarely eat pasta or rice anymore but when I do, it's whole wheat/ high fiber pasta and brown rice...and I eat sweet potatoes instead of regular ones. I have wraps with low-fat/ high-fiber tortillas instead of bread. I still drink too- not a lot of course but I have a glass of red wine a few nights a week, and when I'm out with friends I'll have vodka with club soda and extra lime, instead of vodka with tonic or sprite. And every once in a while (I try to keep to once or twice a month) I have a cheat meal and eat whatever I want without stressing over the cals.

Also, if you're losing inches but the scale isn't moving, you're probably losing fat but gaining muscle, which means you're toning up. It's a good thing. I know it's hard not to get upset if the number on the scale doesn't go down because most of us grow up believing the scale is everything, but it really isn't. A while ago someone posted a picture of themselves around 120 but not fit, and another picture (same person) at 135 lbs but toned...she looked much smaller/healthier/better in the 135 lb picture because she was leaner.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Other than how much you are eating, what you are eating can greatly affect your moods. When I tried a very low fat diet I was cranky all the time. Now that I've switched things up and get more of my calories from healthy fats I'm generally much happier.

When I was only eating about 30 to 35g of fats a day my digestion was out-of-whack and my moods were bad. Now that I get about 25 to 30% of my daily calories from fat, I'm feeling much more balanced.
  • comogirl
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for their responses. I have read them all and appreciate the sentiments and advice! Thank you, thnak you, thank you! Glad to know I am not just going crazy!