Eating too much sugar?

Options
I just realized that I go way over on my sugar every day. MFP gives me 24g and I'm anywhere from 40-50g per day! I didn't even realize it. Things like orange juice, that I thought was a HEALTHY addition to my breakfast, have 24g of sugar for 8oz! Could this be contributing to my "skinny fat" look? I know the obvious answer is, YES! Does anyone else have this problem? If I decrease my sugar intake, will that help me tone up faster? Thanks!

Replies

• Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    That amount of sugar is nothing to sweat about. MFP's default sugar target is silly. Calories matter - sugar intake won't matter much - particularly in a deficit.
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Stay away from sugar if you can, besides natural fruits. Not for weight loss, but just for overall health. Excess sugar causes inflammation which is the true cause of heart disease.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you are getting your sugar from. If it's from fruit, go ahead and eat as much as you want. If it's a processed or refined sugar (Sugar, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, white flour, etc) than ANY is too much.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Orange juice is actually pretty lame for you, especially if it isn't fresh-squeezed. Juice overall is never healthy, it's all the sugar of a fruit with little to none of the fiber and nutrients.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you are getting your sugar from. If it's from fruit, go ahead and eat as much as you want. If it's a processed or refined sugar (Sugar, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, white flour, etc) than ANY is too much.
    orlly. EVIL SUGAR!!!

sugar_dees.jpg
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I say sugar, I am basically talking about high glycemic index carbohydrates. This includes wheat, pasta, bread, cereals, etc. When these foods break down, they basically become sugar and have the same effect on the body as pure sugar would in comparison.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My sugar's "too high" -- about like yours -- every day. Hey, if you eat two pieces of fruit, you're toast! But since I don't each much processed sugar or refined flours, I just let it slide.

My protein's almost always over, too, but the rest stays where it's supposed to. I figure that at least I'm being mindful and tracking what goes into my mouth -- a completely new concept for me and definitely MUCH better than before I joined MFP. That's progress!!
  • lexielux
    Options
    I get that too! I try to eat all homemade veggies, fruit, and fish... Pretty good right? But today for example, I had: a banana for breakfast, ratatouille for lunch and some grapes. And I'm already 23g over my daily sigar goal! This is crazy! I thought of having stuffed portabella and and an avocado for dinner, but that is going to push my sugar intake even more!
    Is it ok to go over if it's fructose sugar from fresh veggies and fruit?