[tmi] Having issues "going" when eating healthy.

Options
2»

Replies

• steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Fiber needs water to work properly, so if you're getting too much fiber you need more water. also, i would suggest insoluble fiber, such as the white on oranges, the strings in celery and the oatmeal that is whole oat, not quick cooking. Lots of green veggies.. Hope you get relief soon :/
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Water
    Fiber
    Healthy Fats (flax and coconut oil are great sources)
    Probiotic supplements are very helpful ( in my opinion much better than the sugar filled Activia type stuff)
    For some reason roasted or raw beets seem to help me
    Good old black coffee
    :)

I agree with this this poster. I was having the same issues, and slowly started altering my diet to add a little more fiber (I take a fiber supplement with probiotics and try to eat all-bran as a snack). This seemed to do the trick, but I think everybody is different and you need to experiment with what will work for you. Good Luck!
  • ajohn252
    ajohn252 Posts: 158
    Options
    I had the same problem and I eventually ended up
    doing a Bodylogix cleanse with my fiancée and since
    completing it I've been back to regular everyday.

The cleanse for two days had really gross drinks you had
    to take twice a day but that was the only downside and it didn't
    have any effects like a laxative.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fresh veggies and fruits and legumes now, and as long as I am hydrated, I now longer have a problem with 'that'! Good luck! :wink:

You need to be drinking enough water! If you are increasing your fiber and you are not drinking enough fluids, you will 'stop up'.

Dr Oz like to talk "poop" a lot. You could see what he has to say on his website!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me back in the day when I had a borderline ED. Burning almost everything you eat makes it hard to go-->which may be the case if you are only eating 1200 calories a day. You may just not be eating enough.
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-C with a tendency to flop to D whenever my body feels like torturing me. I also have G occasionally and it's extremely painful.

I take meds to help me go. What they do is pull water to your intestine to make things easier to pass. While I've been on it for a while and have even had my meds upped I still don't go regularly.

I've done just about anything you can come up with to help me go and none of it helps. Even incorporating things in slowly I end up with extremely painful gas that has me almost in tears and looking like I'm about to pop out triplets!

The only thing I can recommend to help is taking MIralax. It does the same thing my meds do but it's in a crystal form and you add it to your drinks. But you HAVE to make sure you drink A LOT of water.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, so I don't know what your fiber intake looks like. However, this is fairly common for any diet change. your system gets backed up, you need roughage!

Nuts, whole grains, broccoli, and apples just to name a few. Avoid red meat, go easy on the cheese, and start exercising. AND DRINK YOUR WATER, it keeps things buoyant. Start adding some fiber one powder to foods you cook, or better yet to your morning water.

It's not a fun problem to have but the solution is pretty self explanatory, it might take a few days (or more :ohwell:), but you will notice a difference, and when that waste is cleaned out, you will be less bloated and feel way better.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem healthy to me that you were only going every 2-3 days before! I would say this is a question for a doctor.

BUT- because you asked- I agree with water and veggies and yogurt. of ANY kind. I like Stoneyfield non fat french vanilla. Spinach. Apples. Nuts. More water. More dark greens.

Truthfully, I go every morning and every afternoon. You can review my diary if you think it would help. Good luck- and I still think a doctor is a good idea!
  • reddintx
    reddintx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Drinking LOTS of water (six glasses per day) and taking a daily probiotic has helped me tremendously, along with lots of salad. I think its pretty normal to get constipated when you increase your protein and decrease your fat intake :D
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Normally I'm pretty good at going but if I think I'm having trouble I also try upping the amount of berries and soft fruit I'm eating. I find they help you go pretty thoroughly!
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Oh - a friend of mine just told me recently that her daughter was having trouble going, so she fed her a bunch of watermelon and that did the trick.

I haven't had to use them in a while, but vegetable laxatives are much gentler on the system than other laxatives - no cramping or running to the bathroom. Taking one just before bedtime usually had things moving by mid-morning the next day.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I just drink 100% natural apple juice or light cranberry juice 8 oz will get me going in about 1-2hours :)
  • ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    this happened to me the many times i started eating healthy.
    i realized i was eating decent and cutting calories, but i wasn't eating enough fiber.

eat more fiber, drink more water, and more veggies.