Is this a bad snacking habit?

Options
jess_1993
jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
So my meals are pretty healthy and high in protein but when it comes to snacking I don't know if I'm doing it right. I don't have big snacks (like for example a piece of toast and peanut butter on it) but instead if i crave something i'll eat some grapes or a graham cracker or animal cracker. I love cookies which is why instead of eating them I eat graham and animal crackers (maybe around 10 a day) but are these bad snacks? I don't eat too much of them but i'll eat a couple of crackers a day, and sometimes even around 5 saltine crackers a day (70 cal).

Replies

• _Refried_
    _Refried_ Posts: 194
    Options
    If it fits within you daily calorie allowance as well as your macros then there is nothing to worry about, if it will lead you to eating a row of oreo's then I would cut them out. You don't have to deny yourself food or foods you enjoy, just keep them in moderation and keel in mind IIFYM( if it fits your macros)
  • ultraplop
    ultraplop Posts: 30
    Options
    Sorry, the USDA recommends only 5 animal crackers per day, you better cut back or you could have serious health consequences!

J/K Obviously, but as long you eat other food that is decent health wise, a few crackers can fit in just fine in a weight loss diet. Grapes, while higher calorie than other fruit, are generally pretty good for you. Fresh fruit is definitely a good snack.
  • Laurakbg
    Laurakbg Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "bad." They don't seem like nutrition dense snacks but on the other hand you don't eat too many calories worth of them - I'd say if the bulk of your calories come from nutritious foods, don't worry about 70 cals worth of saltines.
  • kristenetc
    kristenetc Posts: 11
    Options
    i do that too! my snacks tend to either be fresh fruit/veggies, or some kind of crackers, which i try to only eat a few of because they're higher in calories... i just try to allot myself a certain amount of "snack calories", depending what else i plan on eating in actual meals that day.

so, if i had a big/high-cal breakfast/lunch, or if i know i'm having a big dinner, i don't let myself use up as many calories on snack foods - so on those days i really try to stick to a fruit or veggie that's lower in calories, but if i'm not having any particularly big meals that day i'll let myself eat more calories worth in snacks :)
  • jess_1993
    jess_1993 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys this really helps, I feel a lot better since I do control them well and they do fit in my calorie intake!
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    Girl, you gotta get in your little indulgences, or you will go insane and binge. eat your animal crackers. i eat 1 100 calorie ice cream sandwich a day. like previously mentioned, as long as you're within your calories, why not? :)
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    Is it possible you're actually .. under-eating?

Your body is very intelligent - it's possible if you're hungry, you're hungry !! :)

Are you getting ENOUGH PROTEIN ?

enough fat? Are you eating TOO MUCH carbohydrate?

Don't forget .. carbohydrate is what make you feel hungry. Fat is what makes you feel full, satisfied. And protein is what builds and repairs your body.

Many researchers say you should eat a gram of protein per pound of body weight. So if you weigh 130, you should be eating 130 grams of protein each day. (For example about 600 grams of very lean chicken breast contains about that much protein, about 130 grams of protein.)

Look and see how much protein you're eating each day -- you could be starving your body by not getting enough protein.

Don't forget - your body is highly "intelligent". It could well be that you're too low on protein (your body is starving internally) too low on fat (fat is what fuels you and makes you feel full) or too high on carbohydrates (carbohydrates job is to make you feel hungry via the insulin chain).

Enjoy your body!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys this really helps, I feel a lot better since I do control them well and they do fit in my calorie intake!

Then it's absolutely fine.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Don't forget - your body is highly "intelligent". It could well be that you're too low on protein (your body is starving internally) too low on fat (fat is what fuels you and makes you feel full) or too high on carbohydrates (carbohydrates job is to make you feel hungry via the insulin chain).

Stop talking about things you don't understand.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You gotta live a little! But because I share your love of cookies here is the clean PB cookie recipe I use so I can eat cookies without the guilt

1 cup all natural peanut butter
    1 egg (or the equivalent in egg whites if you want to be really strict)
    1 tsp vanila extract
    3 packets Stevia

I used an electric mixer to blend them because the PB is thick. Then you make tsp size balls and put them on a cookie sheet. Press into a cookie shape with a fork bake at 350 for ten minutes. I get 15 cookies with this recipe.