Qustion for those of you who have been successful

Options
2»

Replies

• rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Yes, most of the time I eat back my exercise calories.
  • kdruga
    kdruga Posts: 35
    Options
    I think the most important thing is to keep your net for the day at or above 1200. If you are set at 1400 and burn 400, you're only at 1000 net for the day and should try to eat back 200. The main thing is not to let your net go too far below 1200 on any day.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bump...interesting question!
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I just eat when I'm hungry for the most part and avoid crappy foods. I don't overthink it too much. I generally end up right around my weekly calorie goal. Some days I'm way under. Some days I'm way over.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat them and stay at a NET calorie at the end of the day.
    Trainer explained it to me like this: You can't drive a car without gas right.
    So you have to have enough fuel to complete a workout. You gotta eat =)
  • freder1ck
    freder1ck Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have been successful long term, I am wondering did you eat your exercise calories back or not?
    yes. 330+ days of logging, and that's what I've done. I was eating a LOT of calories at the beginning, and lost weight, because I was eating less net calories. Some folks report that MFP estimates of calories burned are high, but I've mostly been using those estimates. Lately I've been using Runtastic calories about half of the time, which are usually a bit lower than MFP. I started out losing about 2 lbs a week, but as I made progress I dropped it to 1.5 lbs/wk. Exercise is good for my heart and cholesterol, and it softens the blow of reducing net calories (on Thanksgiving and Christmas, I burned over 1,000 calories before going to dinner).
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    One good tip to avoid overestimating is to divide your BMR by 24 then multiply that by the number of hours you work out. Subtract that from your exercise calories as that's what you'd be burning during that time even if you were sitting on the sofa.

Obviously there's all sorts of other factors involved in overestimating, but if you're just going to take off "some" of what you eat back, it's at least a vaguely scientific way of going about it :smile:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on "exercise calories" and setting a deficit are here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls/view/tdee-exercise-calories-an-alternate-way-to-customize-mfp-goals-238045

(I eat more than that now though, minimum of 2040 on a typical day).
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the method you are using. Some will say yes, some will say no. It takes 3500 kcal deficit to lose 1lb.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I am going to be honest and unpopular. That eat more to lose weight thing never worked for me.
    I have to cut calories consistently, and the exercise is just bonus. THE KEY for me was to realize how much better my own body functions on higher protein/lower carb, and to build muscle!
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    Yes. The baseline calories are set so that you will make your weight loss goal with NO exercise beyond your normal daily activity level.

I would disagree with this concept though. If you reach your goal and the baseline is set for calories with NO exercise, this is not beneficial to you! You should CONTINUE to exercise to keep yourself toned, etc. If you don't use it, you lose it!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Trainer explained it to me like this: You can't drive a car without gas right.
    So you have to have enough fuel to complete a workout. You gotta eat =)

Well kind of, but the car that is my body has extra fuel stores all over the place; it's called fat. Though I certainly agree that under-eating decreases performance at the gym and can have all kinds of metabolic consequences, this analogy isn't really apt.
  • PHATmommy68
    PHATmommy68 Posts: 112
    Options
    I think maybe I'm over thinking this whole calorie counting thing....I lost weight in the past on low carb so forgive me if this is new to me.
    Let me get this straight.......Lets say MFP has my calories set at 1400 and I burn 400 with exercise.....my actual calorie allowance for the day is 1800? Seems like a lot to me.

What I do is try to have left over calories per day! Just because you have extra calories, doesn't mean you need to spend it! Kinda like a savings account!
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Every single calorie. Food=fuel.
  • 48longs
    48longs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great question. Every person is different. Loss of over 40 pounds in 5 months still off not struggling. I do very little exercise but still maintain under 100 calories yet concentrate on low carb low fat diet. Weekends I let loose and eat what I want without over doing it. Age and body makes a big difference. Eating every 2 hours and staying active helped for me and oh yeh. Lots. And. Lots of fluids.
  • 48longs
    48longs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oops meant to say 1000 calories sorry should read prior to post
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump very interesting to know.
  • bclj
    bclj Posts: 3
    Options
    My strategy has been to stay under the calorie goal on light/no workout days, and to try to hit the goal on workout days. In other words, I do not want to eat back my calories burned. Keep in mind, however, that in general, my calorie burn is 300-500. If you burn more than that, you need the fuei.

I eat five times - three meals from 200-500 calories, an apple at mid-morning, and nuts or a homemade snack bag (120 cals) in mid afternoon.

I also drink over a gallon of water every day. I am 54, and it helps with my arthritis as well as weight loss.

Hope this helps.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I eat mine back as well. On certain days I add 950 workout calories to my 1200 daily calories. On those days, I sometimes don't eat them all back because I'm just not hungry. I avg about a pound a week for weight loss. Best of luck to you and everyone else!

Sheila
  • Norm949
    Norm949 Posts: 1
    Options
    I try to eat within the MFP recommendation before excerise, but I can use up the extra calories on those days you want a little extra or a to treat yourself.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!