LOW CARB DIET???

Options
SO I HAVE P.C.O.S AND MY DOC SAYS ITS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO LOSE WEIGHT WHEN YOU HAVE THIS, AND MOST PEOPLE HAVE SUCCESS IF THEY TRY A LOW CARB DIET SUCH AS SOUTH BEACH DIET. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS DIET... I NEED HELP!!! HAS ANYONE OUT THERE TRIED THIS LIFESTYLE . I HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT TO EAT AND HOW MUCH AND WHAT IS GOOD AND WHAT IS BAD!!!!!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Your caps lock is on.

I have read of PCOS sufferers using low carb diets. www.atkins.com is one place to start - you don't have to buy the products but do read the Program link fully.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    PCOS tends to cause "insulin resistance" and makes it very easy to gain weight, very hard to lose weight. When I was diagnosed with IR about 7 years ago, my doctor told me to cut down to 50g of net carbs a day. Net carbs are total carbs minus fiber and any sugar alcohols.

For example: the tortilla I eat at breakfast has 20g of carbs in it. 9g is fiber, so I only *count* 11 grams of carbs

AND

Atkins advantage meal bars:total carbs 19g, sugars 1g, sugar alcohols 11g, fiber 5g...so 19g-5g=14-11= 3g that we *count*

You can pretty much eat anything within moderation. I still eat fruit, but berries tend to be higher fiber, lower carbs. I eat pasta, but only a small portion. Reading the literature on the Atkins diet is a very good idea. Not only will it give you more ideas of how to plan your meals, but you will understand more about WHY the atkins plan works.
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and as I started this jorney I went and saw a dietician that was recommended by my doctor. She told me to avoid going low carb as whilst there would be initial strong weightloss it would be not sustainable. She has suggested that I aim for 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein which I have been doing since January and I am averaging 1kg per week loss.

A friend is a dietician and specifically works with diabetics and as PCOS is on similar lines she has also suggested and I aim for low GI where possible.
  • AmyMcDonald808
    Options
    Hey I have been on the south beach diet since mid february and just reached my first goal weight this week! I love it, you get to eat 5x a day and the foods from the list you get is really delicious(all the information is online so its totally free!) The first 2 weeks I lost 10 lbs many people lose even more the first 2 weeks. The first 2 weeks is called phase 1. You cut all "carbs" so no bread, rice, pasta, nothing. Its pretty hard the first 3 days but then it just become a way of eating. Heres is an example of what I ate on phase 1

Breakfast: Turkey bacon & Eggs cooked in olive oil or i cnat belive its not butter spray AND a v8 or sauteed mushrooms

Snack: Celery & Peanut butter

Lunch; Salad with leftover meat from the night before

Snack: Almonds or cottage cheese or string cheese

Dinner: Lean protien (chicken breast, sirloin steak, fish, pork chops theres lots of options) and 2 servings of veggies. Either a big salad with an assortment of veggies (avocado, cucumber, onions, whatever you like) or sauteed or baked veggies and a small salad.

Dessert: 2 sugarfree fudgesicles or sugar free jello

these are just my go to foods. here is the entire list of allowed foods and food to avoid for phase 1.
    Foods Allowed in Phase 1

BEEF Lean cuts, such as:
    Eye of Round
    Ground beef:
    Extra Lean (96/4)
    Lean (92/8)
    Sirloin (90/10)
    Tenderloin
    Top Loin
    Top Round
    LAMB (Remove all visible fat)

Center Cut
    Chop
    Loin
    PORK

Boiled ham
    Canadian bacon
    Loin
    Tenderloin

POULTRY (SKINLESS)

Cornish hen
    Turkey bacon (2 slices per day)
    Turkey and chicken breast
    SEAFOOD

All types of fish and shellfish
    TOFU

Use soft, low-fat or lite varieties
    VEAL

Chop
    Cutlet, leg
    Top round
    EGGS

The use of whole eggs is not limited unless otherwise directed by your doctor. Use egg whites and egg substitute if desired.
    LUNCHMEAT

Fat-free or low-fat only
    MEAT SUBSTITUTES (SOY BASED)

Bacon - Limit to 2 slices per day
    Burger - < 3 gms fat per 2-3 oz portion
    Chicken Patties & Nuggets - < 3 gms fat per 2-3 oz portion
    Hot Dogs - < 3 gms fat per 2-3 oz portion
    Natural Peanut Butter - 2 Tbsp (may use as protein choice or limited nut choice)
    Sausage Pattie - Limit 1 patty per day
    Seiten
    Soy Crumbles
    Soy Nuts - 1/4 cup for a protein snack is suggested serving
    Tempeh
    Yuba
    DAIRY

Low-fat (1 percent) or fat-free milk or soy milk
    Plain or sugar-free low-fat or fat-free yogurt
    Fat-free half & half
    CHEESE (FAT-FREE OR LOW-FAT)
    American
    Cheddar
    Cottage cheese, 1-2% or fat-free
    Cream cheese substitute, dairy-free
    Feta
    Mozzarella
    Parmesan
    Provolone
    Ricotta
    String

NUTS (Limit to one serving per day as specified)

Almonds - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
    Brazil Nuts - 4
    Cashews - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
    Pecans - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
    Macadamia - 8 (Dry roasted recommended)
    Peanut Butter - 1 tsp
    Peanut Butter, Natural = 2 TBS
    Peanuts, 20 small (May use dry roasted or boiled)
    Pine Nuts (Pignolia) - 1 ounce
    Pistachios - 30 (Dry roasted recommended)
    Walnuts - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
    In place of nuts, may use: Flax Seed - 3 TBS
    VEGETABLE CHOICES (includes legumes) (May use fresh, frozen or canned without added sugar)
    Artichokes
    Asparagus
    Beans, Green
    Beans, Italian
    Beans, Wax
    Beans or Legumes:
    Black Beans
    Butter Beans
    Chickpeas or Garbanzo
    Pigeon Peas
    Soy Beans
    Split Peas
    Broccoli
    Bok Choy
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Collard Greens
    Cucumbers
    Eggplant
    Lettuce (All varieties)
    Juice (Limit to 6 ounces per day)
    Tomato
    V-8
    Mushrooms
    Mustard Greens
    Okra
    Onion - Limit to 1/2 per day
    Peppers (All varieties)
    Pickles - Dill or those sweetened with Splenda®
    Radishes (All varieties)
    Rhubarb
    Sauerkraut
    Snow peas
    Spinach
    Sprouts, Alfalfa
    Squash, Spaghetti
    Squash, Summer
    Yellow
    Zucchini
    Tomato - Limit to 1 whole or 10 cherry per serving
    FAT CHOICES (with some suggested serving sizes) The following monounsaturated oils are recommended to be consumed daily:

Olive Oil
    Canola Oil
    Other Oil Choices that may be chosen (Polyunsaturated or a blend of Monounsaturated):

Corn
    Enova
    Grape seed
    Safflower
    Soybean
    OTHER FAT CHOICES:

Avocado - 1/3 whole = 1 TBS oil
    Guacamole - ½ cup = 1 TBS oil
    Margarine - Chose those that do not contain Trans Fatty Acids such as Fleishmann's Premium Olive Oil or Smart Balance
    Mayonnaise - Regular or Low Fat
    Olives (Green or Ripe) 15 = 1/2 TBS
    Salad Dressing - Use those < 3 gms sugar per serving
    TOPPINGS & SAUCES use sparingly (check labels for added sugar)

Hot Sauce
    Salsa - Limit to 2 TBS during phase 1
    Soy Sauce - 1/2 TBS
    Steak Sauce - 1/2 TBS
    Worcestershire Sauce - 1 TBS
    Whipped Topping (Light) - 2 TBS
    SPICES AND SEASONINGS

All spices that contain no added sugar
    Broth
    Extracts (almond, vanilla, or others)
    Horseradish sauce
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray
    Lemon Juice
    Lime Juice Pepper (black, cayenne, red, white)
    SWEET TREATS (Limit to 75 calories per day)

Candies, hard, sugar-free
    Chocolate powder, no-added-sugar
    Cocoa powder, baking type
    Fudgsicles, sugar-free
    Gelatin, sugar-free
    Gum, sugar-free
    Popsicles, sugar-free
    Sugar substitute Some Sugar Free
    Products may be made with sugar alcohols (isomalt, lactitol, mannitol, sorbitol or xylitol) and are permitted on the SBD. They may have associated side effects of GI distress (abdominal pain, diarrhea & gas) if consumed in excessive amounts.

SUGAR SUBSTITUTES

Acesulfame K
    Fructose (needs to be counted as Sweet Treats, Caloric Limit)
    Nutrasweet (Equal)
    Saccharin (Sweet & Low)
    Sucralose (Splenda)
    Stevia (Not approved by FDA)

Foods NOT Allowed and to be Avoided in Phase 1

VEGETABLES
    Beets
    Carrots
    Corn
    Potatoes, white
    Potatoes, sweet
    Yams
    BEEF
    Brisket
    Liver
    Other fatty cuts
    Rib steaks
    POULTRY

Chicken, wings and legs
    Duck
    Goose
    Poultry products, processed
    PORK

Honey-baked ham
    VEAL

Breast
    FRUIT
    Avoid ALL fruits and fruit juices in Phase 1, including:

Apples
    Apricots
    Berries
    Cantaloupe
    Grapefruit
    Peaches
    Pears
    DAIRY
    1/2 cup of plain fat-free yogurt (once per day max.)
    Fat Free 1/2 & 1/2, Nonfat milk, 1% milk,
    Soy milk allowed with coffee. Otherwise avoid all other dairy products (unless listed under protein choices or sweet treats).
    Limit to < 2 TBS per cup of coffee. Otherwise, avoid all milk products in Phase 1, including:
    Yogurt, cup-style and frozen
    Ice cream
    Milk, low-fat, fat-free, whole
    Milk, soy
    STARCHES AND CARBS

Avoid ALL starchy food in Phase 1, including:

Bread, all types
    Cereal
    Croutons, all types
    Matzo
    Oatmeal
    Rice, all types
    Pasta, all types
    Pastry and baked goods, all types
    CHEESE

Brie
    Edam
    Non-reduced fat
    MISCELLANEOUS

Alcohol of any kind, including beer and wine
    No regular ketchup or cocktail sauce
    No pork rinds - too high in saturated fat
    No jerky - too high in sugar content
    Limit Caffeine-Containing Beverages to 1-2 servings per day

Anyway as you can tell I love this diet. Im gonna add you as a friend if you decide to do the south beach diet we can be beach buddies!

PS
    Its better than atkins IMO because you dont have to count points and it doesnt allow a bunch of excess saturated fat like on atkins so its healtier for you not only for weight loss but for your HEALTH.
  • AmyMcDonald808
    Options
    Also just wanted to tell you after phase 1 you start eating good carbs so whole grain whole wheat things only. You also get fruit which tastes like candy after 2 weeks of cutting sugar and more dessets.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    For example: the tortilla I eat at breakfast has 20g of carbs in it. 9g is fiber, so I only *count* 11 grams of carbs

AND

Atkins advantage meal bars:total carbs 19g, sugars 1g, sugar alcohols 11g, fiber 5g...so 19g-5g=14-11= 3g that we *count*

i don't understand your math on the protein bar. why don't you count the sugar alcohol?
  • AmyMcDonald808
    Options

AND

i don't understand your math on the protein bar. why don't you count the sugar alcohol?
    the whole thing confuses me, im so glad i chose south beach.
  • sampcuk
    sampcuk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I cut out processed sugars and a lot of starches. Doc says it takes a couple of cycles before you "feel" the difference hormonally. I will say that I am not overweight, but had been slowly gaining as I start towards my 40s and having hormonal fluctuations. In the past four weeks, through trial and error. I have cut my carbs down to 100 to 125 a day, eat 1600 calories a day regardless, cut back on cardio, doing more weightlifting, and I have lost 6 lb. Whatever "diet" you choose, realize you are going to have to tweak it for you. I started with Paleo, sort of edged towards South Beach, and am now doing what has been working and just keeping track of my calories, carbs, and protein. Trial and error. Since this is my first month, I'll be interested to see how it cycles through on the cysts.
  • EmilyDuby
    EmilyDuby Posts: 67
    Options
    I am prediabetic and have to be on a low carb diet or my blood sugar goes up and I end up feeling sick. I focus on making protein the main nutrient in each meal and choose smaller portions of anything carb related. I've given up juices and fruits and only occasionally eat a significant amount of breads and pastas.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The trick (I think!) to getting low carb right is to avoid processed and pre-packaged food (even those labelled low-carb such as Atkins bars). Stick to fresh food and kick out the sugar and grains. Include non-starchy vegetables and protein at every meal. Think big salads with chicken or tuna, drizzled with olive oil, rump steak with broccoli and green beans, slices of ham or hard boiled eggs as snacks, chicken curry with chopped cauliflower (instead of rice), strawberries with a drizzle of cream.

Have a look at the Atkins website:http://uk.atkins.com/program/overview/

And it might be worth buying an Atkins or South Beach book (South Beach includes more fruit and carbs than Atkins, which I found made my weight loss plateau but suits some people better).

Currently I'm keeping my carbs between 50-100g and setting my daily calorie count to my TDEE minus 20% (calculate your TDEE here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html). I set my TDEE at sedentary then log any exercise I do (eating back at least 50% of the exercise calories 'earned').

Also have a look at Mark's Daily Apple - a really useful website about the primal lifestyle, which I find sits well alongside the low-carb way of eating and explains how you can regulate your insulin (to help you lose weight) by eliminating sugar and grains from your diet: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1wLk54oTt

There are also low carb groups on MFP. Go on the forums, make some friends, and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it! Have a look here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

Hope this helps!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have been reading a lot about carbs lately. I am not usually a conspiracy nut or anything but I find it very interesting and concerning that grains and soy or so heavily promoted by the government (in the US anyway, not sure about any where else).

My research (as flawed as it may be) tells me that moderate fruit and significant vegetables are much better for me than grains yet fruit and vegetables receive very little government support. As a result, farmers are almost forced to produce grains v. fruit and vegetables.

For many reasons, I am currently experimenting with a no grain diet. It has been about a month and I feel better, have more energy and find it easier to do as time goes by.
  • AmyMcDonald808
    Options
    I have been reading a lot about carbs lately. I am not usually a conspiracy nut or anything but I find it very interesting and concerning that grains and soy or so heavily promoted by the government (in the US anyway, not sure about any where else).

My research (as flawed as it may be) tells me that moderate fruit and significant vegetables are much better for me than grains yet fruit and vegetables receive very little government support. As a result, farmers are almost forced to produce grains v. fruit and vegetables.

For many reasons, I am currently experimenting with a no grain diet. It has been about a month and I feel better, have more energy and find it easier to do as time goes by.

I totally agree with this! The food pyramid is all wrong in my opinon. The vegetables should be the main thing you eat! There really should be better education about nutrition out there, I literally had to do reseach when I started on my weight loss journey. and the government fees us GMO carbs so we can stay sick and pay doctors and drug companies. HAHA maybe not but sometimes it seems like it..
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Have you considered talking to a dietician? They are not expensive (I pay $26 a month). If you go on a "diet", but you don't change your eating habits permanently, then you are likely to just gain whatever you lose right back.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    The guy that created atkins died of a heart attack. Just sayin'

OP, there is a PCOS group. They may have very sound advice.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

AND

according to the Atkins book, sugar alcohols have minimal effect on blood sugar--similar to fiber.Therefor, you don't need to count them.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Alright don't panic. I'm gonna go against the grain here. I have PCOS (was diagnosed 3 years ago) and have lost 45 pounds in 5 months WITHOUT a low carb diet. I've been eating around 200 grams of carbs a day since the beginning, sometimes more and losing fine. I eat bread, pasta, potatoes, sugary stuff, ect. I don't restrict anything really, just keep it in my calorie goals. Of course I try to limit "junk" and increase my healthy foods like fruits, veggies and lean proteins. I always try to keep my protein around 100 grams a day or more. My average weight loss is around 2 pounds a week. No, I don't drop weight every week but that has been the average. Some weeks I will lose a lot, some nothing. Not everyone has to go low carb with PCOS to see results. You may not have to either. You never know until you try. I'm not anti-low carb because it certainly has it's place and some people need it. Try it both ways for awhile and see what works for you :smile: The same thing does not work for everyone.
  • digitaltara
    digitaltara Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You may also want to check out the movie FatHead. It was originally done as an answer to Supersize Me (which I refuse to watch) but it has some really interesting information about how (most people's) bodies handle carb, why low fat diets aren't great for you, and why low carb/high protein works the way it does.
  • debzeeU2
    debzeeU2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    reading later.
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Alright don't panic. I'm gonna go against the grain here. I have PCOS (was diagnosed 3 years ago) and have lost 45 pounds in 5 months WITHOUT a low carb diet. I've been eating around 200 grams of carbs a day since the beginning, sometimes more and losing fine. I eat bread, pasta, potatoes, sugary stuff, ect. I don't restrict anything really, just keep it in my calorie goals. Of course I try to limit "junk" and increase my healthy foods like fruits, veggies and lean proteins. I always try to keep my protein around 100 grams a day or more. My average weight loss is around 2 pounds a week. No, I don't drop weight every week but that has been the average. Some weeks I will lose a lot, some nothing. Not everyone has to go low carb with PCOS to see results. You may not have to either. You never know until you try. I'm not anti-low carb because it certainly has it's place and some people need it. Try it both ways for awhile and see what works for you :smile: The same thing does not work for everyone.

Pretty much what I have been doing with success.