I keep hearing muscel weighs more than fat

Options
2»

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yes, that makes sense. I kinda figured that. My body def. looks different; just kinda sucks when you get on the scale after a month and you back to your starting weight.
    If you haven't lost weight in a month, then you're eating too much food/calories.
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes, that makes sense. I kinda figured that. My body def. looks different; just kinda sucks when you get on the scale after a month and you back to your starting weight.
    If you haven't lost weight in a month, then you're eating too much food/calories.

Really, cause I hadn't lost for 3 months and I was at 1200 on a good day, so should I have starved myself? :P
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I would pay more attention to your waist size and how your clothes fit, honestly. Body fat is a better indicator than your scale IMO.
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options

Really, cause I hadn't lost for 3 months and I was at 1200 on a good day, so should I have starved myself? :P

You are probably under estimating the amount of food you eat (a little here a little there will add up to 200 or 300 kcal a day), or over estimating your exercise calories.

It's really a physical impossibility to eat less than your TDEE (don't argue semantics here, you know what I mean -- calories in, calories out) and not lose fat. So if you are capable of it, I suggest you contact your local university because not only are you breaking various physical laws like thermodynamics and the law of conservation of energy, you are probably also a being of light.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My question is, could this weight gain really be all muscle? I do tons of cardio, and lift weights all the time. Am I missing something?
    You need to use use a tape and keep track of a few body measurements. I think the minimal is your waist since that's the body's favorite place to store fat. Pick your worst spot that you're trying to trim down. I'm measuring at my belly button and straight across my "love handles". Any decrease on that spot is my measure of success. I do keep tabs on the weight every day but my goal is to have a smaller waist line not necessarily to weigh less. The scale is a way for me to keep tabs on stalled waist line improvements. I don't give rats rear end about it getting lower honestly.

I've been stuck on 225 for over a week but I did get half an inch off my waist within that time frame so huge success for me.
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

You are probably under estimating the amount of food you eat (a little here a little there will add up to 200 or 300 kcal a day), or over estimating your exercise calories.

It's really a physical impossibility to eat less than your TDEE (don't argue semantics here, you know what I mean -- calories in, calories out) and not lose fat. So if you are capable of it, I suggest you contact your local university because not only are you breaking various physical laws like thermodynamics and the law of conservation of energy, you are probably also a being of light.

1) I measure everything I eat, down to the tablespoon of oil I use to cook with and amount of pb I put on my toast so I highly doubt I was underestimating, but let's say that just so happened to be the case and I was actually 200 more a day than I logged. that would have still put me and about 14-1500 cals a day, which then and almost now is still under my bmr. 2) I also was doing major cardio almost every day, burning aprrox 5-800 cals at about 90 minutes per day/ 540min per week. even if I somehow over estimated those burns and they were abt 200cals less each lets take 350 for example, that still would've been 2100 cals per week burned, with that plus being not only under my tdee by at least 500 but also my bmr by at least 100 I "technically" should've lost on average with some leniency toward your theory at least a pound per week. (-5,600 but yeah, I'm being lenient for you)

So how do you care to explain that I lost nothing and hovered between 1-3pounds. I'll refrain from commenting on your smart *kitten* remark because I actually found it quite funny. :P However I, like pu, don't disagree with thermodynamics, but you're not taking into consideration of metabolic rate. I have the proof I need because since upping my cals I feel more energetic, I no longer have heart palpitations, my hair isn't falling out anymore and has actually grown superbly thick, I don't get dizzy, I can actually walk up hills and stairs without nearly passing out like a 90year old smoker, and my legs dont give out from under me anymore. I haven't changed anything except for eating more so I know that I was damaging my body and doing something very wrong. You don't agree? To each their own. ;D