food traditions broken

Options
I was reading an interesting forum topic on ivillage about quirky food traditions women have caught from their mothers and grandmothers...you know...stuff like not making rice and potatoes (starches) for the same meal or marshmallows on your yams. It made me think of how I sort of had to reject family food traditions in order to change my eating habits. For less sugar, I would never put marshmallows on the yams as they are healthiest without! Also, I no longer eat gravy EVER.

So I just wondered what some food changes others have made to their family customs in order to support their life changes. It doesn't necessarily have to be turkey-dinner related. lol Something like only steaming and never deep-frying.

Replies

• Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    My favorite food growing up was fried okra. They made sure to always hand the okra plate to me last so everybody else could get some. :laugh:

Now I cut it up and spread it out flat on a cookie sheet. Then I sprinkle a little seasoned corn meal and flour on top with salt & pepper and bake it til crispy. I can't say its quite the same, but its better than not having it at all! :love:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I was raised that you always have to have 1 meat, 1 veggie with lots of melted butter and salt and 1 starch on your plate and you have to eat it all. Well, I am trying to get out of the starch routine (I do love me some starches though). I try to just have grilled chicken and a steamed veggie. We also always had a desert after a meal. Sundays were always a big country meal of chicken fried steak, gravy, buttery mashed potatoes and buttery vegetables. I have totally stopped this one!!

Good thread, thanks.

Memaw
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    um....perhaps off topic...but what the heck is chicken fried steak?:smile:
  • Kendra7107
    Kendra7107 Posts: 122
    Options
    I can relate. I am a southern!! All of our meals when I was growing up consisted of comfort full, lots of starches and FRIED, FRIED, FRIED!! I think my grandmother seasoned everything with bacon grease. :laugh:

I don't have too tough a time staying away from the above foods now as my grandmother passed away and the only time I have some of them is at the holidays and family reunions. I can manage that.

For me it's cheese!! In the past, I would eat a piece of tree bark if it's covered in cheese. I have learned to eat my salad without any cheese at all! I feel like this is a major accomplishment for me. :happy: In the past, I would never make myself a salad at home if there was no cheese in the fridge. Now, I settle for a cheese stick several times a week and other types only on special occasions. It's amazing how that change makes me feel, like I've really forged ahead in my habit changes. :-)
  • chunsagirl01
    chunsagirl01 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One thing I have been raised with was with dinner we had a meat a veggie and a startch. Rather it be potatos, pasta, or rice. We also had alot of sweets around the house. My mom was the typical housewife of having the food ready and goodies on the table for my dad and us. I have gotten away from the sugars and starches for the most part. If I did not have any starchy food for the day and I need to make my calorie count I eat rice or pasta, not so much potatos anymore.
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I come from a mostly Polish, part Slovak family. I was raised on mostly butter, meat and noodles. I became a vegetarian when I was 11, that was very tough! When my mom cooks there is ALWAYS meat, rarley any side dishes, so finding a vegetable in that house is not likely....(unless its in a can)

Now that I am all grown up, I continue to avoid meat for the most part, I only eat veggies that come from a market or frozen if I absolutley must, and I save the Traditional Polish goodies for the Holidays only! I don't restrict myself at those times either....as unhealthy as it is, a nice plate of kielbasa and saurkraut, peirogi fried in butter, and some golabki.....Well its in my blood to enjoy it with some vodka to boot:drinker: , lol You can take the girl outta Poland, but you can't take the butter outta her veins, hahaha:laugh:
  • memaw66
    Options
    Wow, that's funny. I never even thought that someone might not know what chicken fried steak is.

Chicken fried steak is a a steak (usually cube steak or something similar) breaded and fried. It's really yummy but really fattening!! It's usually served with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and a veggie like green beans. If you live in Texas you can't go to a resturaunt that doesn't have it on the menu.

Memaw
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    Options
    ohhh hmm im puerto rican and we eat alota meat and starches!! like rice, malanga, potatoes, ohh and pork, and chicken, and omgosh it all tastes soooo good its sooo hard to let go of all of it :[ im stil lworking at it, but that ok
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am Croatian and in my family the motto was (and still is): The greasier, the better. I partly think because this is a cheaper way to eat and people over there can't afford healthier foods. Isn't that sad? When you think about it, here in the US, a bag of chips is cheaper than a head of cauliflower...:huh:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I partly think because this is a cheaper way to eat and people over there can't afford healthier foods. Isn't that sad? When you think about it, here in the US, a bag of chips is cheaper than a head of cauliflower...:huh:

I don't think that's true... I think if you're careful, you can definitely find healthy ways to eat no matter what your budget is. A bag of chips may be cheaper than a head of cauliflower in some places, but it's certainly not cheaper than a head of lettuce, an apple, and a pound of carrots (all three!)

A pound of beans isn't expensive, and it's not fattening unless you cook it with lard and add greasy meat to it! :bigsmile: Choices, Choices!!! :bigsmile:

EDIT: I misread your post!! I thought you were saying your scenario for HERE, not Croatia!! That is sad - so many places in the world, it IS indeed difficult and expensive to eat and obtain healthy and fresh fruits, veggies, etc for families. It's so important to help however and wherever we can.

Back to the original topic.... I remember eating a lot of chicken with skin on, baked in the oven... served with some grease dripping off..... whole milk or 2% milk, lots of starchy stuff. Things I looooved like fresh hot homemade bread with melted butter dripping off.... I avoid that kind of stuff now, or make my bread with whole wheat! I also remember a lot of summer salads with tuna and eggs, fresh garden vegetables, etc, and I still eat tons of those!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's funny. I never even thought that someone might not know what chicken fried steak is.

Chicken fried steak is a a steak (usually cube steak or something similar) breaded and fried. It's really yummy but really fattening!! It's usually served with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and a veggie like green beans. If you live in Texas you can't go to a resturaunt that doesn't have it on the menu.

Memaw

I love a good country breakfast!! Chicken fried steak, biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage. Yummy. Haven't had that in years.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I refuse to give up any of the foods I love, I just don't eat them as much as I used to.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Oh I haven't given them up--I'm just not in an area where I can get that kind of thing right now.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Oh I haven't given them up--I'm just not in an area where I can get that kind of thing right now.

I'm sorry to hear that.
    I wasn't really directing the post at anyone in particular, just a general statement.
  • memaw66
    Options
    I haven't given them up, I just don't eat like that very often any more. And when I do, my stomach really pays the price. But they just taste so darn good!!!

Memaw
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    My favorite food growing up was fried okra. They made sure to always hand the okra plate to me last so everybody else could get some. :laugh:

Now I cut it up and spread it out flat on a cookie sheet. Then I sprinkle a little seasoned corn meal and flour on top with salt & pepper and bake it til crispy. I can't say its quite the same, but its better than not having it at all! :love:

Oh thank God....I needed this recipe. I've always fried mine and never thought of baking it. At Thanksgiving my mom still to this day makes me a plate...just for me :blushing: . I love it too much to give it up.
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Breakfast was - Sugary Cereal + a slice of toast with loads of butter + massive glass of OJ
    Snack - Donut or sausage roll (very greasy) or sometimes a cheeseburger
    Lunch - Sandwich, Crisps, chocolate bar and an apple
    Dinner was meat, CARBS (jacket potato or rice) and always a pud
    oh and always had a little bag of sweets and a couple of biscuits after school

Age - 12-15 until i started getting into the 12stone region :grumble:

Cut out all the fatty foods from this - now my diary tells a different story :wink: *

*apart from weekends! ha ha!!
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For me its more about getting away from cooking the same meals over and over that my mum (sorry I'm from the UK!!!) cooked for my family when we were younger.

We ate reasonably healthily, and up until recently I've been cooking the same 'healthy' meals that my mum makes, only problem is there were about 4 recipes! Gets a bit boring after a while.

Sites like this are great for learning new recipes and meal ideas, so I'm broadening my repetoire of healthy meals!

I had no idea what a chicken fried steak was either!! :blushing:
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Memaw

Wow! That is some meal. I had no idea....I'm French Canadian, and probably the closest relative to comfort food of this sort is Poutine...which consists of French Fries smothered in cheese curd and hot gravy...a hot mess of loveliness...but it is a once in a year or two thing for me right now, lol
    A.
  • WINEYINVA
    WINEYINVA Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Growing up it was a lot of carbs and not the whole grain high fiber kind either. Bagels, muffins, bread, pasta, potatoes with gravy etc etc...