Advice on single ingredient foods?

Options
Rumik
Rumik Posts: 86 Member
Hi guys,

so many of you have been so helpful to me already, I'm hoping I can get some advice about what to eat now too.

I've always been a fussy eater. Until I met my wife in 2004 I'd never eaten any vegetables and only the occasional banana. Now I eat a fair amount of veg, though not as often as I should. I still don't enjoy most of them, but I've learned to eat them regardless. Fruit is something I still struggle with - when I was very young my dad forced a clam into my mouth and it made me ill, and to this day I can't eat anything with a similar, juicy/wet texture. So that means most fruits are out, lol.

Anyway, I've managed to lose a stone (14 lbs for my American friends) in about 10 months (with about a 3 month break around the New Year), and it averages out at 1lb a month. While I'm happy that I'm losing the weight, that just seems so slow to me, especially when I see these diets that advertise losing as much as I've lost in 2 weeks. It's very confusing, and it makes me question what I'm doing wrong, even though I'm still definitely losing weight.

So I'd like to take a look at what I'm eating. I'm sticking to my 1600 calorie target every day (I don't want to get into whether or not I'm eating enough, I have discussed that at length with people in another topic). Really I'd just like peoples' opinions on what to eat and what to avoid eating, in terms I can understand and recognise by reading the back of a pack. Anyone know of a good site for single-ingredient recipes with a lot of variety? Would there be anything wrong with simply eating a chicken breast for lunch every day?

Thanks again for all your help so far, and thanks in advance for the continued support :)

Replies

• Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Personally I would see nothing wrong with eating a chicken breast, grilled or baked with no skin, for your lunch. My personal trainer told me this week to eat a small can of tuna by itself also. Lots of good protein.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I struggle with fruit too, with the exception of granny smith apples and strawberries. Allergic to bananas.

When I'm good, I eat:

Chicken breasts
    Some chicken with skin sometimes, especially grilled
    Sirloin steak
    Turkey legs
    Tuna fish
    sauteed shrimp
    Frozen flounder, salmon, or cod
    Sweet potatoes
    frozen green beans
    frozen spinach
    frozen stir fry mix with chicken or shrimp thrown in
    olives
    hummus- if you've never tried it, great protein, low fat, low carbs... delicious, but you will love it or hate it
    whole grain pita chips
    brownberry whole grain bread when I want bread
    Special K cereal when I have a sweet tooth

That's the majority of what I eat in different combinations every day. I did not have much weight to lose and managed to lose about a pound a week eating this way.

I hope that helps.
    Green tea every day

I love beans so sometimes I'll make a pot of pinto beans with smoked turkey legs

greek yogurt
    4% fat cottage cheese
    I take a tablespoon of omega swirl 3-6-9 fish oil every day
    BSN Syntha-6 protein powder after workouts
  • Rumik
    Rumik Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Meant to reply and say thanks for this ages ago, so thanks :)