What should I eat for breakfast/lunch?

Options
I'm 19, 6'2 and 202lbs.

I normally don't have time to fully prepare meals, I work 10 hour days as a carpenter, I have football twice during the week and soccer once, & usually I can only ever manager 6 hours sleep a night so i always feel extremely tired during the day.
i only play football on saturday so I do alot of exercise, but can't seem to lose any BF% as i think my diet is letting me down.

For the past few months I have a sandwich for breakfast on the way to work and 2 sandwichs for lunch, all them are multi grain bread and just chicken loaf as it's easy to make on the move. And for dinner, it's really what ever my parents make, usually vegies and what not but it varies.

So I'm asking what else can I have for breakfast or lunch? is there anything I can buy that easy to make? and healthy ofcourse.

Also, my metabolism is extremely slow, tips on making it faster?

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    You really should consider preparing meals in advance and freezing them. You definitely need to eat as you are still growing (even at age 19). With all the work, sports and exercise you are getting, you definitely need to get some 'fuel' in you for sure.

Perhaps on the day you choose to rest from all of the extra activities, use that day as a good food prepping. I find this helps significantly for me. Saturday is the day I get the groceries done. When I get home, I prep all of my vegetables ahead for at least three days, but never more than that. I make soups, roasted vegetables, salads and put them in the fridge/freezer. Meats, Ill prepare a bunch of chicken, turkey, beef, pork, sausages, etc - the proteins and with the prepped vegetables, Ill start making up individual meals that I can freeze and just grab when I need them.

I love having a fresh roasted chicken done up, cooled down and then make a nice hearty chicken salad out of it with celery, red onion, bell peppers, seasonings and herbs with light on the mayo. I can either make a sandwich with lettuce, tomato and onion, or - those prepped salad vegetables, I can plop the chicken salad on top.

Gotta get creative...
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For breakfast we have a new product in Australia called Belvita which are a cereal biscuit. Have with a cuppa and they keep you going for hours. Nice and easy to grab.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    granola or granola bars, clif bars/other protein bars are good and easy on the go...I love yogurt I eat a 90 calorie yogurt almost every day. All you gotta do is grab outta the fridge.
    I know its not easy, and you have a really full schedule, but making lunch ahead the night or day before is something that youd benefit from. I buy lots of fruit every grocery trip, cut it up and portion it for my lunches/snacks everyday.
    They also make jimmy dean light breakfast sandwhiches that microwave in minutes that are easy and good, decent for you.
    I also am a big oatmeal fan, just add hot water to the instant stuff and youre good to go!

Hope this helps you....with breakfast anyways
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Cottage cheese mixed with Oats, diced cooked apple and cinnamon.
  • randymarshx
    randymarshx Posts: 20
    Options
    You really should consider preparing meals in advance and freezing them. You definitely need to eat as you are still growing (even at age 19). With all the work, sports and exercise you are getting, you definitely need to get some 'fuel' in you for sure.

Perhaps on the day you choose to rest from all of the extra activities, use that day as a good food prepping. I find this helps significantly for me. Saturday is the day I get the groceries done. When I get home, I prep all of my vegetables ahead for at least three days, but never more than that. I make soups, roasted vegetables, salads and put them in the fridge/freezer. Meats, Ill prepare a bunch of chicken, turkey, beef, pork, sausages, etc - the proteins and with the prepped vegetables, Ill start making up individual meals that I can freeze and just grab when I need them.

I love having a fresh roasted chicken done up, cooled down and then make a nice hearty chicken salad out of it with celery, red onion, bell peppers, seasonings and herbs with light on the mayo. I can either make a sandwich with lettuce, tomato and onion, or - those prepped salad vegetables, I can plop the chicken salad on top.

Gotta get creative...

Yeah I kinda don't have any free days, saturday i have football literally all day, sunday is my only day off and im busy as!
  • randymarshx
    randymarshx Posts: 20
    Options
    granola or granola bars, clif bars/other protein bars are good and easy on the go...I love yogurt I eat a 90 calorie yogurt almost every day. All you gotta do is grab outta the fridge.
    I know its not easy, and you have a really full schedule, but making lunch ahead the night or day before is something that youd benefit from. I buy lots of fruit every grocery trip, cut it up and portion it for my lunches/snacks everyday.
    They also make jimmy dean light breakfast sandwhiches that microwave in minutes that are easy and good, decent for you.
    I also am a big oatmeal fan, just add hot water to the instant stuff and youre good to go!

Hope this helps you....with breakfast anyways

I will try the protein bars! but what exactly do they do?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Bacon and egg.

Why do you think your metabolism is slow ?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Yeah I kinda don't have any free days, saturday i have football literally all day, sunday is my only day off and im busy as!

This is just like the folks who complain they 'dont have the time to get exercise in' when in fact, they do have the ability to fit it in if they are willing to make it happen. Same goes for better meal planning. Sunday is my only day off from working 50+hours at the hospital, going to the gym at 4:30am (which Im heading out right now for) music practices after work for both groups, concerts to perform at night for which also means commuting, and I still find the time to make sure that there are healthy food options available, food prepping when necessary.. and like you, Sunday is my only true day off - I make sure that day is when I get all the bulk cooking and food prepping done. My 19yr old daughter is also busy like this and she has adopted the same pattern as well.

It can be done, but you cant make excuses for yourself.
    BTW - the more you keep making excuses for not being better at meal-planning, the more you will keep ruining your metabolism. So, if you work M-F, Soccer is two-times out of that week, that leaves you with three days when you come home, you can actually make a meal for that night and possiblly an extra for the next day, in addition to my suggestion of bulk cooking/prepping on your day off being Sunday.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I have a sandwich for breakfast on the way to work and 2 sandwichs for lunch, all them are multi grain bread and just chicken loaf as it's easy to make on the move.

You answered your own question. You can change you metabolism by changing your food. Eat fruit for breakfast and lunch. Bread and meat are bad for you, and will keep you fat. Filling your blood up with animal fats will slow you down.

Fruit is really easy to grab and go, too. It's the most convenient food out there. No prep necessary.
  • julierewa
    julierewa Posts: 17
    Options
    Buy yourself a blender and make a smoothie for breakfasts - ideally with protein powder and fruit. Easy-peasy healthy breakfast. Keep the sandwiches for lunch. Ensure that the quantity of your dinner is not so large. Having your biggest meal at the end of the day is not ideal. Portion control is everything.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Chicken loaf and such are processed meats. It only takes a few minutes to prepare and grill some chicken breast. It can be done in advance and you can use that for sandwiches. You eat alot of carbs in the first half of the day. Try some lean bacon, and egg and 1 piece of toast and some fruit. You need to up your protein. Maybe ask your parents or whoever cooks dinner, if they can make some extra so you can put away for the next day. Snack foods like vegetable crudites dont take long to prepare either. Good luck
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Fruit and yoghurt are a good breakfast. I would try and cut down on the sandwiches as when you count up the calories they as much as a meal calorie wise (got a bit of a shock when I realized that). Good luck :smile:
  • leanby2013
    leanby2013 Posts: 137
    Options
    Mix some greek yogurt and cottage cheese together and throw in some chopped fruit
  • Sharmender
    Sharmender Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches are great!

I always eat cereal with 0% fat milk in the morning, and a PB and banana sandwich for lunch :)
    Just add some protein and fruit :D
  • maryruiz2685
    maryruiz2685 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    oatmeal and fruit is GREAT for breakfast. Also egg beaters, turkey bacon. you can add some salsa to the eggs and eat with a low carb tortilla to make a taco. cereal. there are plenty of options. you will def have to start preparing your lunch though. chicken, fish, veggie burgers are awesome. steamers veggies. just throw in the microwave. low fat yogurt. veggies. you can do it!
  • randymarshx
    Options
    Bacon and egg.

Why do you think your metabolism is slow ?

Not sure, always has been my whole life.
  • randymarshx
    Options
    I have a sandwich for breakfast on the way to work and 2 sandwichs for lunch, all them are multi grain bread and just chicken loaf as it's easy to make on the move.

You answered your own question. You can change you metabolism by changing your food. Eat fruit for breakfast and lunch. Bread and meat are bad for you, and will keep you fat. Filling your blood up with animal fats will slow you down.

Fruit is really easy to grab and go, too. It's the most convenient food out there. No prep necessary.

Even multi grain bread? I might start eating a lot more fruit, seems easy and I like fruit !
  • randymarshx
    Options
  • dawson555
    dawson555 Posts: 26
    Options
    PB = Peanut butter

And the only way to speed you metabolism imo is to eat more food often buddy
  • randymarshx
    Options
    PB = Peanut butter

And the only way to speed you metabolism imo is to eat more food often buddy

Oh I see, umm I don't usually get breaks from 7:30am til 1pm and 1pm- 5pm
    But ill make up some bull**** excuse at work and have something to eat between those times? and also what would you recommend for those snacks, fruit?