Hip Pain Please help!

Options
Hi All

I'm currently training for a 10K end of july and am experiencing really bad hip pain the day after training, its normally worse if I go over 6K there is no pain at the time of running it's the morning after it aches so bad I'm walking like a 92 year old sometimes.

Has Anyone had this before? I would really appreciate any advise.

Cheers :)

Replies

• placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    please describe the pain please. where in your hip? Is it sharp or dull? Does it bother you when you are lying on your side?

etc
    etc
  • placebomonkey
    Options
    Hi

its mostly an ache/ stiffness when I move around (theres no pain when I'm sitting down at all) but sometime twinges or stabbing pain , yes it hurts if i lay on my side too :(....someone mentioned it could be burtitis so ive tried all the stretches /lunges etc its not working though
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    it band?

foam roll it
  • placebomonkey
    Options
    sorry to be naive what does that mean? :)
  • rxj22
    rxj22 Posts: 23
    Options
    I had hip pain as well. The only thing that relieved it was to stop doing the activity that was aggravating it. So if it hurts when your doing the activity, stop doing the activity (at least until the inflammation subsides).
  • brandyk77
    Options
    Hi

its mostly an ache/ stiffness when I move around (theres no pain when I'm sitting down at all) but sometime twinges or stabbing pain , yes it hurts if i lay on my side too :(....someone mentioned it could be burtitis so ive tried all the stretches /lunges etc its not working though

Is the pain better if you are on your side and put a pillow or something between your legs?

I would hazard the bursitis guess as well. It is a common injury and can manifest in several different ways. I had it when training for my first marathon and it was horrible. It rarely hurt when I ran unless it was over 12 miles but man, at night and just walking around...I felt OLD

The stretches can help but you really need to address what is causing the issue: lack of core strength. When you run, you engage your core to stabilize yourself. If you core muscles aren't strong enough, this results in a rotation which can aggrevate the bursa sac. Stengthen the core and you lessen the rotation and thus the irritation.

Here is a link for some info on general hip pain

http://www.marathon-training-schedule.com/hip-pain-in-runners.html
  • placebomonkey
    Options
    Hi rxj22 it never actually hurts whilst I'm running just the day after and sometimes the day after that. Did you manage to go back to what you were doing when the inflammation stopped?
  • brandyk77
    Options
    sorry to be naive what does that mean? :)

http://drbenkim.com/how-foam-roll-your-hip-abductors.htm
  • placebomonkey
    Options
    Thanks Brandy I will have a look :)
  • rxj22
    rxj22 Posts: 23
    Options
    Yes, I no longer have hip pain. I would start by reducing your running frequency and running volume for several weeks and add some foam rolling to your routine. Roll your IT bands, quads, hams, and adductors. Use a tennis ball for your glutes and piriformis. Check youtube for examples of these exercises.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing. Try these stretches for a couple days and see if that helps. It did for me:

http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/exercise-sciatic-pain-piriformis-syndrome
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I had this end of last year, every time I stood up it was so painful and walking became painful too. turned out to be tight ITB (as mentioned earlier)

I bought a foam roller a few months back and it has been my saviour, I ordered one from Amazon and they give you links to videos to show you how to stretch.

My advise would be to rest it while doing your stretches & build up slowly, my fizz said to run to the distance that you can run without pain during or after and build up from there.

I know and appreciate you're training for your run but you don't want to make the injury worse & stop yourself doing it altogether.

Good luck & speedy return to pain free running
  • placebomonkey
    Options
    Thank you Ive bought myself a foam roller and will tone down the mileage for a bit see how ig goes :)
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You should visit a doctor or physio.

The last thing you want is to damage your hip, they don;t grow on trees. It could be anything, back problem, footwear, muscle.

And stop running until you know, if you think that its painful now, imagine if you really damage it
  • loveskinny27
    loveskinny27 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    snap I got this too - i do hip rolls and open the gate close the gate with my legs action! I also find warming up also helps I have terrible joint pain in my hips knees and ankles and always make sure to do hip, knee and ankle rolls when warming up
    hope you get it sorted :-)
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I had this on both hips and my lower back. Went to see a physio who said it was my glute muscles and to do some stretches. I've been doing them and it is slowly going. It's very common in people who run.
  • placebomonkey
    Options
    Thanks everyone just an update on the situation. I Invested in a foam roller and added more stretching before and after my runs and things have dramatically improved :D I'm now doing 8k every other day and body is lots happier.

Thank you :):smile:
  • placebomonkey
    Options
    bump