BBQ time, ideas please

Options
2»

Replies

• Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    Grill all your veggies, our favorite is grilled broccoli, just toss lightly with olive oil, salt and pepper.
    Any veggie will work. Grill all your veggies and then throw them in a salad. Tomatoes, asparagus, and even carrots.
    Try grilling artichokes as well. Split them in half, put in boiling water for 10 mins, then cool. Remove the fuzzy stuff and drizzle some balsamic dressing on them and let them marinate. Then grill on each side for 10-15 each. Promise you will love this.

Artichokes sound delish!!!
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said - take your favorites and just cook them on the grill! I have a veggie basket and we cook almost all veggies on the grill in the summer. Corn on the cob is super good when grilled with the husk still on (I soak them in water for 30 minutes or so prior to putting them on but you don't have to). Our favorite veggies are zucchini, onions, summer squash, asaparagus, corn, butternut squash (I usually parboil the slices in the microwave first since it can take a long time to cook) and green beans. Never thought to do potatoes/sweet potatoes before, but we might have to start!

For meats we do a lot of chicken breast (boneless, skinless), steak (hubby - I don't care for steak), and pork loin. I am a fan of kabobs too - we typically use meat of some sort, bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, butternut squash and onions for them. For pork and chicken we mix up the marinades that we use frequently, however it isn't unusual for us to just grill the meat plain with some simple seasonings (salt, pepper, lemon zest for instance).

Love the grill - good luck and have fun!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    We had a BBQ last week and it was great. We had burgers which were only 162 calories each, not including the bun which was 195 calories. I only had one burger.

We had kebabs which consisted of pork fillet, courgettes, mushrooms, peppers, onions and jersey potatoes.

We also marinate chicken legs in barbeque marinade. They were great as well. The meal was around 800 calories in total and it was so filling.

I had one burger, 1 bbq chicken leg and 2 kebabs. This chicken leg was massive and the kebabs were quite long as well. Obviously, you can opt out of using pork fillets and just use veggies. Get rid of the chicken skin and use pita instead of a bun. Replace beef with turkey, unless you aren't fussed about beef.

I'm currently eating 2130 calories a day, so this meal wasn't too bad consider the rest of the day wasn't bad at all.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Off topic, but I was in my mid 20s before I realized when people said BBQ they meant hamburgers and hotdogs.
    As in come over Saturday and we will barbeque.
    I thought a Barbeque meant slaughter a whole 100 lb hog and then slow cook it over homemade hickory coals for 12 hours.

I believe what you are talking about is grilling.
    As in come over Saturday and we will grill out.

Imagine my disappointment that first time 20 years ago when there was only hotdogs and hamburgers at the "BBQ"
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Off topic, but I was in my mid 20s before I realized when people said BBQ they meant hamburgers and hotdogs.
    I thought a Barbeque meant slaughter a whole 100 lb hog and then slow cook it over homemade hickory coals for 12 hours.

In my neck of the woods, this is called a "pig roast" (though it doesn't have to 100 lb, just a whole hog). "BBQ" means animal flesh slathered in a spicy bbq sauce, cooked on or off the grill. Cooking food on the grill is a "cookout".
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love grilling those little baby sweet peppers - the ones that come in red, yellow, and orange. YUM. Pretty much anything you can do in the oven, you can also do on the grill. If you get one of those veggie baskets, you can even use that to cook chopped veggies with whatever seasonings you want.
    Sweet potatoes, peppers, squash/zucchini, steaks, chicken, pizzas, veggie burgers... the list is endless!

**edit to add: grilled stuffed portobello mushroom caps. Heaven.
  • gooster5
    gooster5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    turkey burgers with cajun spice
    zucchini, peppers and mushrooms
    grilled pizzas are yummy too!
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Grilled Cauliflour is my new favorite and its SUPER EASY.

Slice a head of cauliflour into "Steaks" a lot of the flourets will fall off but that's fine you can eat them raw later. Slather the slices with about a table spoon of olive oil, add salt and pepper and put on the the grill. If you are using charcoal, make sure the heat is indirect and as far away from the coals as possible. Cook 4 or 5 minutes on each side.

Monday we had hamburgers and I used sliced cauliflour as my bun and it was sooo good.

Denise
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

In my neck of the woods, this is called a "pig roast" (though it doesn't have to 100 lb, just a whole hog). "BBQ" means animal flesh slathered in a spicy bbq sauce, cooked on or off the grill. Cooking food on the grill is a "cookout".

sad I know. I live in the world where its called "Grilling OUt" and BBQ is one method of cooking meat.