0 lbs since February - what am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have great suggestions.... personally I see a few things when I looked over your diary for the past couple of weeks.
    Where are you vegetables? Some days you had 1 or 2 but not enough, try to get 3-5 most days. You could make some of your eggs into omlettes, it would give you vegetables there quite easily. I think you need to eat more, most days at least. I am sure you said you tried that, but have you tried it for at least a month, let your body adjust to the higher calories and let it know it can let go of some of the fat as you are fueling it properly. You do a lot of exercise and I think it is important to eat enough to fuel our body. My BMR range is 1383-1643, I have my daily calorie goal set at 1400. My BMR is based on me being 45, 5'4", cw 145 and exercising 3-5 days a week. I don't eat back my exercise calories and haven't been losing much lately but then again, I slowed my exercise (I know what I need to do). The other thing I noticed in your diary is sodium.... most days you are close to the 2500 or over. Sodium is bad news for my weight (no other health issues though). I aim to stay under 1900 or I will gain.
    Hope this helps, I know your frustration.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    D-bates - I scan nutrition labels and weigh everything unlabeled (fruit, meat, etc.) and input it - so it must be the fitbit is wrong on how many calories I am burning. Anyone have a better idea how to estimate calorie burn? Maybe I should get a HRM and wear it working out and only log that? Fitbit gives calorie adjustments for all my activity - but since I don't eat back those calories I didn't figure it mattered.

HRM is a good idea, it'll probably give you a more accurate count.
  • i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I do need to get more veggies in daily! I am so focused on protein that I tend to scrimp on the veggies - particularly because I have a hard time hitting my protein without going over on sodium or carbs. I am not a huge fan of protein shakes or bars - they often taste nasty and two years ago Consumer Reports did a big writeup on studies conducted by independent labs that found very high levels of toxic substances including heavy metals (arsenic, etc). If anyone has more recent data on which shakes are safe and tasty - please share!

I really appreciate all the good advice - which I could sum up as eat more/eat less, workout more/less, eliminate wheat, stop being such a lush, make friends with veggies, break up with fruit and accept your body. :laugh:

Seriously though - I love how helpful folks are here! I think it is a wonderful community and it provides a great wake-up call when you are doing things you shouldn't (umm...hello evening glasses of wine)! I am going to change things up a bit - refocus on circuit training and add another day of intervals and see what happens. I still have no clue how many calories I should be consuming and there doesn't seem to be any consensus out there. However, while I figure that out I am going to aim for 115-125 grams of protein per day while minimizing my carbs.

Thanks again to everyone who made suggestions! Feel free to keep them coming!
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    Here's my 5 cents, and I will agree with some posters above.

1. You need to eat back your exercise calories, because otherwise you're putting your body in a starvation mode and it is trying to hold on to all the fat in your body. Your daily calorie goal is fine, but you need to eat whatever you burn and you seem like a moderately active person to me.

2. Not all the calories are equal. You need to adjust your fat/protein/carb ratio. You already heard about protein, that's good. But besides that you need to increase your FAT. Yes, don't be afraid of the fat. You have hardly any fat in your diet (maybe in a form of nuts). Add olive oil, coconut oil (the best thing), butter, fish, avocados, bacon. Increase your fat and reduce your carbs. Carbs should be nutrient dense and high on fiber: think of the greens (spinach, broccoli, cucumbers, zucchini, etc.). If you want fruit, stick to berries, they are the best.

3. Your exercise looks great, you don't need to change anything, unless you want to.

4. Weigh loss success = 80% food + 20% exercise.
    You need to change the quality of your food (and some quantity too).
  • Chokis
    Options
    Also, check out this weight loss simulator online:
    http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/

Just plugin your numbers and you'll see how many calories you should be eating.
  • googsgirl
    googsgirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be eating any less calories for fat loss. You should be doing HIIT cardio and lifting heavy for fat loss and eating your TDEE so you don't lose muscle. You don't want to lose weight, especially since at your weight for your height, you're perfectly fine scale wise. You want to change body composition and it's EXTREMELY hard, and some think it's damned near impossible to put on muscle while eating at a deficit.

THis^^^

I didnt start losing weight until I ate 2000 calories and just took my deficit from moderate exercise ( 2 full rest days)
    I dont think you are eating enough.
  • Chokis
    Options
    Go to the Weight Loss simulator that I suggested. I just put in your info there and it shows that if you want to get to 130 pounds, let's say in 180 days, just to be reasonable, you need to eat about 2112 calories. This is for weight loss. If you want to maintain your current weight, your TDEE is about 2374 calories.
    So having said all that, right now you're eating way under your calorie limit for your activity level, which slows down your metabolism.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You're eating negative calories and you have been for a long time apparently. Try doing all the calculations in this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

Don't freak if you initially gain weight from a large increase in calories. It will come back off.
  • i_miss_donuts
    Options
    Hi There - I have spent a lot of time on the Fat2FitRadio site over the past few months. The past two months I have been eating at/near the recommendation for lightly active after all the calculations. I think figuring out what level you are (sedentary, lightly active, moderately active) is one of the tricky aspects. I do like the advice from the in place of a roadmap to try and net at least your BMR + 200 and think that is sound.
    You're eating negative calories and you have been for a long time apparently. Try doing all the calculations in this link:

Don't freak if you initially gain weight from a large increase in calories. It will come back off.
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm with ya sister. I'm 5' even, and have been sitting at 130 for 4 months. Sucky to all get out. I cried this morning. I've run 45 miles in May, running 3-4 miles 3-4x/wk and walk with a friend 2-3x/wk for an hour - and I haven't lost a single pound and lost no inches (I weigh and measure every 2wks). I've stayed at 1200 cal/day (plus exercise cal) - I've zigzagged my intake - I've weighed my food - I've taken vitamins. I'm at my wits end and just want to curl up and cry. And cry. And cry. If you figure it out, let me know, ok? :cry:
  • i_miss_donuts
    Options
    mjhuff1121 -

So today - I was down to 136.8 - my new low since starting (and 1 lb below last weeks low). Yesterday - 79g carbs, 30g fiber, 41g sugars, 60g fat and 112g protein. I also drank about 20+ glasses of water and ran 3 miles. Overall I don't think I ate enough - so I will need to eat more today - but was super happy to see the scale go down! Now if I can keep it from creeping back up over the weekend, since that is pretty much my pattern.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I wonder how bad it is for you to occasionally be way under like that if it's just one day every other week. I did that a couple times over the last month just by accident. I had really busy days and didn't plan meals/snacks well enough and ended up shorting myself over 500 calories. I always dropped weight on those days and you can tell you're there because your stomach will let you know it's beyond empty. Would this be considered zig-zagging or an acceptable option if you're stuck?

Really busy today at work and over 1 hour late for the first half of my split lunch. I was feeling hungry for sure.
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that muscle weighs more than fat. With all the workouts you're doing that might be the case. Maybe someone who knows more about this could comment. I realize you want to lower your body mass but you certainly don't need to lose any weight.
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that muscle weighs more than fat. With all the workouts you're doing that might be the case. Maybe someone who knows more about this could comment. I realize you want to lower your body mass but you certainly don't need to lose any weight.
  • 1DayAt_aTime
    Options
    Bump
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but she has said TWICE that she has and uses a food scale. Why bother posting if you didn't bother to read?
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I think it is dead on with being accurate. I even checked it against my HRM and it was spot on. I think you are not eating enough personally =)

I don't have an explanation for the OP, but my experience with FitBit, and I've used one for almost two years--since they came out--is that it'e spot on accurate for things it's able to measure.
  • kiratowle
    kiratowle Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Yoovie - I understand that I could be changing my body comp, but as fat is less dense than muscle, if I were losing fat and adding muscle, wouldn't my measurements change? Thus far, they have not (which I mentioned in my post). Part of the reason I did the BodPod was to get an accurate picture of where I stand so I can assess what is/isn't working.

In your original post you said "Right now, I am 41, 5'9" CW 138-140"

You're not losing because you don't need to. You are already at the low end of your ideal weight range. What makes you want to lose more weight? I think Yoovie has a point-it's not weight that's the issue here.

Hopefully I don't sound defensive. I know not everyone understands why I would want to get leaner. However, for a small framed woman my height - the healthy weight range is actually 129-140 according to multiple charts. So really I am at the top end of my range for my height and frame. That said, my goal is reducing my body fat while increasing or maintaining my lean muscle mass (which is why I put that as goal rather than weight). I gained 8 lbs when my MIL was diagnosed with cancer and died last year. I put it on thru drinking and stress eating + a calf injury that limited strenuous workouts. I don't think wanting to lose the fat I put on is unreasonable.

Ok, so i had to look up what a fitbit is because i was reallly confused. Also, can everyone explain these other acronyms too..ex: TDEE and HiiT.. HRM

I think you must look fabulous... if only i was 5 inches taller... i too am 41 and the last two years have been a struggle for me.. but i have a LOT more to lose. My thyroid is fine too... i was drinking too many empty calories and am on the wagon so to speak. With that said,I seriously think you can over analyze your food. I am all about weighing and measuring but don't think about it all the time. IF you are hungry then eat (that's what the rumbling in your stomach is for :)) Choose a good snack and be prepared.

I have a question for everyone. Why does MFP add your exercise calories to your balance? Can anyone explain the whole process? Does it tell everyone to eat 1200 calories a day or is it based on your weight? I do 68 minutes of elliptical at least 4 times a week keeping my heart rate at 152 at least for 60 minutes ... i also strength train for an additional 30-45. MFP says i burn 786 calories on the elliptical although the elliptical says something like 850. How many pounds will i lose in a month if i don't eat my exercise calories? I appreciate everyone's help and i cannot believe this website is FREE :smile:
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Hi There - I have spent a lot of time on the Fat2FitRadio site over the past few months. The past two months I have been eating at/near the recommendation for lightly active after all the calculations. I think figuring out what level you are (sedentary, lightly active, moderately active) is one of the tricky aspects. I do like the advice from the in place of a roadmap to try and net at least your BMR + 200 and think that is sound.

Ah but you work out 5 times a week and you do HIIT. That's going to automatically raise you above the lightly active level. Even I am borderline moderate level and I'm way heavier than you and do less intense exercise. Try eating at moderate or better yet, going all the way to the top.

If your focus is to lose fat then you need adequate fuel to burn fat instead of muscle (our bodies find muscle easier to burn or so I have read).
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I would go over to Eat More To Weigh Less. Post this message over there and Kiki or Lucia will help you out. You are doing everything right...and you probably aren't eating enough. You need a small deficit to lose those last pounds. You have to give your body permission to lose it. It has to know it will be fed. They should give you some great advice. Also go over to
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Plug in your info. You should be eating that every single day. :-)