People's way of saying "have you lost weight"

Options
The past couple weeks more people have asked me if I lost weight... But in there words...

"Have you lost a HUGE amount of weight?"
"Did your Girlfriend loose a crap load of weight?" as said to my boyfriend.

I am happy people are noticing, I have worked hard to have lost what I lost. I was 240 the beginning of this year and am now down to 200 lbs. I am always shocked as to how people ask if I lost weight. They use words like 'huge', 'massive', 'crap load' etc... I never thought of myself that big, sure 240 is not a small girl by any means but I have never been a rolley polley type of big. I guess I find it kind of insulting. I am wondering an I alone in thinking this way?

Thanks for taking your time to read my post.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I get "Are you feeling OK, you lost so much weight". I think they think I am ill? In their defense, at my age I could be.
  • theberg
    theberg Posts: 80
    Options
    I ran into my old boss a few days ago and he asked if I was sick. I didn't take his meaning at first but then I realized that I've lost almost 70lb and recently decided to embrace my baldness and start shaving my head. I got a good laugh out of it.
  • 1979rrh
    1979rrh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I get "Are you feeling OK, you lost so much weight". I think they think I am ill? In their defense, at my age I could be.

That's funny, I haven't had that yet, but I'm still a chunky monkey :-)
  • 1979rrh
    1979rrh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I ran into my old boss a few days ago and he asked if I was sick. I didn't take his meaning at first but then I realized that I've lost almost 70lb and recently decided to embrace my baldness and start shaving my head. I got a good laugh out of it.

Wow, I can see how that could happen! Awesome job!! 70 pounds is fantastic!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'd just take it in stride. Losing 40 lbs is a lot of weight to lose! I think their characterization of "huge" or "crapload" amount of weight is more a reflection of your success, not what they thought of YOU. Just smile and appreciate the fact that they're noticing. :)

Keep up the good work!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I am getting better at blocking the "Wow, you really must have thought I was HUGE" thinking and taking those comments as compliments. It takes practice, but I really don't think anyone who has said to me, "Wow, you've lost a LOT of weight!" had any ulterior motives or meant to lace the comment with anything insulting. Yeah - I've lost a lot of weight. I look a lot better for it and FEEL a lot better for it. For me it's nice to hear that they're acknowledging my hard work.
  • theberg
    Options

Wow, I can see how that could happen! Awesome job!! 70 pounds is fantastic!

Thanks, I was playing with math the other day and realized I'm now 2/3rds the man I was last year... heheh
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    translate those words to describe what you accomplished, not what you were.

MASSIVE VICTORY!

your perspective in life is in your control. Decide not to be bitter about people recognizing your success, or when you get close to your goal weight, you'll find yourself fighting compliments, forcing yoruself to be bitter and denying that your hard work has paid off.

Be happy.

Please.
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think my favorite (sarcasm here) are the backhanded compliments my great aunt gives.

slaps my butt really hard -- "hey, your backside looks at lot smaller than it used to"
    eyeballing my face -- "your face seems less wobbly"
    etc etc.

I think you just have to grin and bear it and remember they are noticing that you lost weight and that's a good thing!
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds, and I still get, "Oh, you've lost weight! I can see it in your face!" I only need to lose 100 lbs until I'm healthy weight. So if 40 lbs are visible only in my face, how much do I have to lose before people notice it elsewhere? It makes me lol.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Damn Girl, you're almost doable now.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Before you started losing weight, didn't 40 lbs seem like a crap load or a ton? Shoot, there are days that 1 or 2 pounds feels like a crap load or a ton. Losing that much weight is hard work and they are acknowledging the fact that you have literally worked your *kitten* off. They aren't saying you were an elephant before.
  • GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'd reply with a completely non-sensical comment :)

"OMG have you lost a crap load of weight?" And i would say "No I just read a lot" Then walk away. :)

I'm tall- so it takes a LOT of weight for me to look different... and I'm toning up- so my weight is shifting, but I haven't really lost a lot of weight... transferring it into muscle, etc. But- people are noticing on me too. But- like i said, in my case... I'm not really losing a bunch... but people are asking me if I am. haha

Be glad folks are noticing... flash them a smile, say "i'm taking care of myself and living better. Thanks for noticing".

Keep up the good work!
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    As yoovie says take it as compliment. Harboring bitter feelings may set you back and change your state of mind.

Also it's nice that a boss was concerned that someone may be may be ill, it does happen probably more that people actually succeeding at losing loss of weight.

Also when some says you lost **** loads of weight its a good thing that they are taken back/shocked at your amazing success.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Damn Girl, you're almost doable now.

^^^ Perfect. It's much better not to imply that you recognize the amount of weight loss, only that the hotness factor has improved. And saying "almost" is encouragement to keep up the good work.

This will now be my stock compliment to any female co-workers or friends. I'm sure my wife will approve and HR will understand.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I always respond with "have I? Maybe a bit I guess" kinda to make them think I haven't lost as much as I have
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Thanks, I was playing with math the other day and realized I'm now 2/3rds the man I was last year... heheh

Puts a new perspective on the song "I'm half the man I used to be" doesn't it? lol Sorry, your post just popped that lyric in my head and I can't get it out now.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it. I do have a huge amount of weight to lose and if people notice and say I lost a lot then I am happy. It doesn't bother me because I know I have a lot to lose. Not many people have said much to me at all and I would be way happier if they were telling me I lost a huge amount lol.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Given the number of threads lately with people who get offended at remarks intended to be friendly, respectful, or complimentary by friends and co-workers, may I offer a bit of unwelcome advice? No? Too bad, it's an Internet forum and you can't stop me. Nanner, nanner, nanner.

If someone says something intended to cause offense, it's usually obvious, and if they do so frequently they are asshats you don't want to associate with any more than is absolutely necessary.

If someone says something that is not intended to cause offense, just accept the SPIRIT of what is being said and ignore the specific words. None of us have a writing team working for us, and if we all get scripts on what to say to people I have yet to receive mine, so I do the best I can to be nice to people with what little I know about the people around me.

I don't have one of those little boards with the clappy thing on it like they use on TV and a director to yell "CUT! That was awful! Try it again! Follow the script this time, and say it with meaning! COMPLIMENT - TAKE SEVEN!" and clap the little clappy thing.

It's quite frequent for things to not come out exactly the way I intended to say them, and even more frequent for them to come out in a manner that might be misunderstood even though I know what I meant. If I say something inadvertently funny, I expect you to point it out so we can both have a good laugh about it. If I say something inadvertently offensive, I expect you to point it out in a friendly manner so I can understand better what offends people. I was the class geek in school - people spent more time putting me in the infirmary or destroying my personal belongings than they spent interacting with me. I'm not terribly good at interpersonal relationships, even though it's been a LOT of years since high school.

So of someone says something that sounds vaguely encouraging or complimentary in a friendly voice, please do yourself and those around you a favor - and try to understand what they MEANT rather than the words they (sometimes poorly) chose to say it.
  • theberg
    Options
    Puts a new perspective on the song "I'm half the man I used to be" doesn't it? lol Sorry, your post just popped that lyric in my head and I can't get it out now.

I know the song, now it's stuck in my head. Thanks! :D