Going over calories; fruits and vegetables

Options
Hey everyone!
I recently (2 weeks ago) started a new healthier lifestyle, im eating a lot more fruits and vegetables as well as lean meats. I feel great, i already feel lighter :D

anyways, my question is, is it ok, or at least, is it not as bad if i go over my calorie limit in only fruits and vegetables.

For instance, say i finished my calories for the day, and I have a few grapes, or an orange or steamed vegetables...is that fine? or should I treat them as i would anything else and stay under my calorie budget no matter what?

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    if you are going to be strict with your calorie goals then yes treat them just as anything else...everything counts

that being said - if you are hungry then eat...going over calories a little bit one or two days in the big scheme of things is not going to impede your weightloss...having an extra 100 calories a few times a week isn't going stall your weightloss - it isn't a day to day thing - it is a cumulative effect.

One thing you do want to watch is portion sizes. Things like an apple - most apples in the stores are actually closer to 1 1/2 - 2 servings - I buy what they refer to as "lunchbox" size apples - fit fully in the palm of my hand. or if you grab a bowl of grapes and you think it one serving - it could be 2 servings...

so instead of having an apple and thinking - Oh 80 calories...it could be more like 140 or more...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    vegetables are unlikely to take you over, colourful sugars (fruit) are more likely to but both are calories just like eating the equivalent amount of Snickers.
  • santosateos
    santosateos Posts: 49
    Options
    you're right! I guess even more important than calorie counting is portion control. Thank you so much for your input, and congrats btw on those 29lbs lost! :D
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I say be a little more cautious about going over with fruits, but go crazy with the veggies if you want.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I try to get as close to my goal for calories for that day. If I am still hungry, I will eat some fruit or veggies as well. I don't have a ton, just enough so I don't feel hungry. It's better to go over with fruits/veggies than junk like cookies and cakes.
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    Vegetables are fine, basically free foods as they have fibre which isn't really digested. Sugars in fruit might be a small problem, but they're definitely not going to kill you, try to get them earlier in the day :)

Good Luck :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you're approaching this. If you're calorie counting, then it probably counts. If you're taking a "south beach style" approach, or a "weight watchers style" approach then not so much.

If it were me? I wouldn't sweat it with the vegetables (But I'd watch the fruits). But everyone approaches this differently.
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Going over your calorie goal with veggies really doesn't matter that much as long as you're still eating a balanced diet near your calorie goal. You will still likely be at a deficit anyway.. so if you're only 100 or so over your goal on some days you will definitely still lose weight.
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to nag you again. You keep going over your calories because you are staying up all night studying anyway. As a result, you are probably actually "burning" those calories. Eat some veggies and a little bit of protein until you're content. You'll probably even perform better academically!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    everything counts including fruits and vegetables... especially fruit because they are carbohydrate dense foods.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Be more careful earlier in the day. As far as I know, it's almost impossible to eat OVER your calorie limit with JUST fruits and veggies. I know this because I eat a LOT of fruits and veggies. And I rarely go over my calorie limit. Maybe once every couple weeks - and it's because I ate something like cheese, pasta, or something like that. It isn't the veggies and fruits.

So, during the day, account for all calories and make sure that you have room for a 100 calorie apple if you know you're probably going to eat it at the end of the day!

Of course, it's "better" to go over your calorie limit with fruits rather than chocolate bars BUT if you're going over your calorie limit ... you're going to gain weight. You want to lose weight? Go under your calorie limit! :P
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    If you log everything, the numbers will tell you over a few days. As others have said, it's not a one day thing.

Use weight of food for portion control. Do you have a digital food scale?
  • santosateos
    Options
    LOL
    thanks! I try, the problem is, im spending nights in school and the people around me always end up bringing food from 24hr fast food places or going to 7-11 for chips and pastries =/

it was hard, the biggest project in school is done, so hopefully i can get back on track now :)
  • santosateos
    Options
    If you log everything, the numbers will tell you over a few days. As others have said, it's not a one day thing.

no i dont =/
    i kinda just use my hands to measure portions like one 'fist' is one cup of spinach, one palm of your hand is about 3 oz of meat, etc
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Just log everything and find a calorie target that you can maintain. If you are trying to stick to 1200 a day and starving, up your goal a bit so you can have a few extra fruits and veggies without seeing red.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i know weight watchers gives fruit a 0 point rating so people doing that can have as much fruit as they want basically. i personally count the calories from everything. i guess you could chalk it up to personal preference and finding out how your body handles it :)
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    santosateos wrote:

no i dont =/
    i kinda just use my hands to measure portions like one 'fist' is one cup of spinach, one palm of your hand is about 3 oz of meat, etc

Weight is more accurate than volume or by eye. Accuracy is important for calorie dense foods. It's also helpful for accurate baking. Many people recommend scales. Just a thought.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Veggies fine, fruits be careful! Weigh fruits out also. Maybe up your cals a little if your regularly needing more x