Negative Calorie foods - Fact or fiction.

Options
Anyone no if negative calorie foods work towards weight loss - and if so any recomendations, I also was told pineapple is good
similar to this article, any thoughts : http://www.naturalnews.com/030912_negative-calorie_foods_burn_fat.html :smile:

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    a myth I suspect. Even if it was negative we would be talking about 10 or 20 calories here and there. Pineapple is a sugar solution standing upright, why would it have negative calories ?
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It. Is. A. Complete. Myth.
    This discussion comes up all the time, and the conclusion is always the same. ALL foods have calories, and it doesn't burn THAT many calories to digest these foods, so even celery and lettuce will net you a 1-2 calorie gain. I, personally, believe that focusing on "negative calorie" foods is a waste - focus on getting the right amount of nutrition in your body (and your protien/carb/fat ratio) and you will find that is much better than waterlogging your body with rabbit food all day.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Pineapple +48 cals per 100g (from MFP database) = Positive calories.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's all a bunch of hooo-hah.

Time travel. Fact or fiction.
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It. Is. A. Complete. Myth.
    This discussion comes up all the time, and the conclusion is always the same. ALL foods have calories, and it doesn't burn THAT many calories to digest these foods, so even celery and lettuce will net you a 1-2 calorie gain. I, personally, believe that focusing on "negative calorie" foods is a waste - focus on getting the right amount of nutrition in your body (and your protien/carb/fat ratio) and you will find that is much better than waterlogging your body with rabbit food all day.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is good advice
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    There are tons of negative calorie foods, but the negative calorie part only works if a unicorn is eating them.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    It's all a bunch of hooo-hah.

Time travel. Fact or fiction.

I wish we could time travel.**sighs**
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    Fact: Sand has negative calories.
  • GMBosick
    GMBosick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think its a myth too..
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    It is true....Bigfoot told me so.
  • bethb4
    bethb4 Posts: 48
    Options
    There are tons of negative calorie foods, but the negative calorie part only works if a unicorn is eating them.

hahah i like it
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Definitely a myth

This one is so popular that even Snopes believes it – and it is rare for Snopes to be wrong. But the problem is, the numbers don’t add up. One stick of celery contains around six calories2. A female weighing 150 pounds, aged 35, and 65 inches tall, burns 30 calories per hour3 eating whilst sitting. In the interests of science I ate a stick of celery (which is no mean feat considering I hate raw celery) to see how long it would take: 2 minutes and 14 seconds. If the female described above takes as long as I do, that means she can eat just under 30 sticks of celery in one hour – totaling 180 calories. That leaves an excess of 150 calories still not burned. Granted, there is some calorie burning involved in the digestive process as well, but there is no way these numbers allow for negative calories; on average you burn 62 calories an hour just existing4 (this includes digestion) – that still leaves an excess calorie count of 88. No matter which way you look at it – celery does not result in negative calories.
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Fact: Sand has negative calories.

^^^ So does cardboard
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    This may be the laziest weight loss method Ive ever heard of.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Celery is the only calorie negative food that I know of. It takes a little more energy to chew and digest a stalk of celery than it provides in calories, but the effect is tiny.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/celery.asp
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

what if I am half unicorn? then does it work?
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

I had unicorn steak for dinner last night.
  • yo_andi
    Options
    Definitely a myth

This one is so popular that even Snopes believes it – and it is rare for Snopes to be wrong. But the problem is, the numbers don’t add up. One stick of celery contains around six calories2. A female weighing 150 pounds, aged 35, and 65 inches tall, burns 30 calories per hour3 eating whilst sitting. In the interests of science I ate a stick of celery (which is no mean feat considering I hate raw celery) to see how long it would take: 2 minutes and 14 seconds. If the female described above takes as long as I do, that means she can eat just under 30 sticks of celery in one hour – totaling 180 calories. That leaves an excess of 150 calories still not burned. Granted, there is some calorie burning involved in the digestive process as well, but there is no way these numbers allow for negative calories; on average you burn 62 calories an hour just existing4 (this includes digestion) – that still leaves an excess calorie count of 88. No matter which way you look at it – celery does not result in negative calories.

SCIENCE!
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options

With or without the horn? :smokin:
  • yo_andi
    Options

With or without the horn? :smokin:

Oh I had the horn alright... bit gamey.