where does the fat go?

Options

Replies

• just4u_cara
    just4u_cara Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    At night the fat fairy comes, takes it away and delivers it to McDonalds for the preparation of their burger patties.

HAHAHA that is so worth keeping, as a reminder when the kids want to go to McD's!! Thanks for the morning chuckle :smile:
  • blondejester
    Options
    i don't care where it goes as long as it's far, far away
  • JRO2685
    JRO2685 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It is converted by the body into fuel which is burned through chemical means to provide energy to the cells.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/what-happens-when-fat-is-burned.html

Thank you. Great article.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Is this really happening right now?
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    FAT CELLS
    •you are born with 5-6 billion fat cells and increases through childhood to about 25-35 billion fat cells.

•Genetics can play a role in the number of fat cells.

•They can increase in numbers due to pregnancy and during adulthood when extreme amounts of weight are gained.

YOU CAN NOT LOSE FAT CELLS, YOU CAN ONLY SHRINK THEM

Body fat is a reserve source of energy and will expand and shrink based on how you fill it.

As you lose body fat you are simply emptying out those cells...the only way to get rid of the cells is to pay a dr. big bucks to suck them out of your body...
  • leelafit_mtl
    leelafit_mtl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    At night the fat fairy comes, takes it away and delivers it to McDonalds for the preparation of their burger patties.

Ohh that's what is happening...! ;-)
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options

^^FACT!!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    They turn into cute little alien babies

_44809078_adipose416.jpg
  • SlimSammy2012
    SlimSammy2012 Posts: 893
    Options
    "...your body breaks down fats into glycerol and fatty acids in the process of lipolysis. The fatty acids can then be broken down directly to get energy, or can be used to make glucose through a multi-step process called gluconeogenesis. In gluconeogenesis, amino acids can also be used to make glucose."

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/life/human-biology/fat-cell3.htm

Quoting from the movie Pulp Fiction, "Check out the big Brain on Opus!"
  • bozzalozza
    bozzalozza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    According to my social circle it leaves me and goes to my friends...

Really, it's just a reduction of size of the fat cells. You don't gain or lose fat cells outside of surgical procedures, but if you think of it as a balloon powered airplane, like we had when I was a kid, you aren't far off.

I disagree. You can't lose fat cells without surgery (they just shrink), but you can most definitely gain them. A lean adult has about 40 billion fat cells, an obese one at least two to three times that number. When a fat cell grows it will reach a size limit...it then sends out a signal to nearby immature cells to start dividing to produce more fat cells.

See http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/11444.php
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Actually the Liver is the main fat burner. However, if the Liver is busy filtering, it's not as efficient burning fat. Drinking lots of water makes it easier for the liver to filter and thus more efficient burning fat.
    I always thought you peed it out and thats why all the water is important so that everything is getting flushed out.
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Not this again!! Are we going to start talking about white bits in pee again?
    I... Uh. Well. That... You know, if I never eat again, it's all your fault.

(White bits in pee? wtf?)
  • wildboar1
    wildboar1 Posts: 88
    Options
    ...onto my wife's butt.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    I've willed mine to my ex-husband. :noway:
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Very true. You can gain fat cells. You don't lose them. An obese person has more fat cells than a normal person because the fat cells reach their limit and need more around.

As such, once you have been obese, its very easy to get obese again... you must stay diligent.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Somebody asks a question and these are the kinds of answers they get?

To the OP: I lack complete knowledge in this department but from my understanding, fat is basically fuel stored by the body and with exercise and calorie deficit, you can "use up" the stored fat. So if you spend about 3,000 calories per day with normal activities (breathing, moving around, cleaning house, brushing teeth, etc) and are eating back only 2,000 calories, your stored fat provides the extra 1,000 calories. 3,500 calories makes up about a lb. of fat.

Hope that answers the question. I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will be able to explain better than me
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    They turn into cute little alien babies

_44809078_adipose416.jpg

I was soo headed here.:drinker:
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I don't care where it ends up...as long as it's not on my belly or butt! :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Lately, that fat fairy has been delivering to my place on her way to McDonalds.

Mine too. Darn fat fairy...:grumble:
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    Wow I think her question was serious..but anyway

It just shrinks..your body needs fat just not as much as most of us have