What did the scale say.....

Options
chas1933
chas1933 Posts: 14 Member
Ok so this is my first post, I increased my weights and increased my time on the ellipitcal and still managed to gain 2 pounds this week! I'm new at all this so is this normal or what? Some say it's building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat, but i've not been at this very long and I'm wandering if I've had time to start building muscle yet? please help.....

Replies

• Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Exercise is really and honestly a minor part of becoming fit. How have you been eating?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    read this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie&page=6#posts-8051666

Its completely normal, and due to water retention in your muscles because of the increase in activity.

ETA - you are also right that it isn't 2lbs of muscle already
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    When I started a new exercise regimen, I experienced a temporary gain...the following week I lost 3 or 4 lbs. Someone told me that muscles retain water when you first start intense exercise. I don't know if there is any science backing that or not but stick to what you are doing. I really do not think this will be a permanent gain.
  • Spence_
    Spence_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've heard it can take 4 to 6 weeks to build muscle, so it's probably not that... Are you eating enough? Your diary is closed so I can't tell. Also, make sure you're drinking lots too, so your body doesn't retain water. I always find after a hard workout at the gym, I weigh a teeny bit more the next day, 'cause my muscles hold on to water to 'fix' themselves. Maybe just stick to your new workout regime for a bit longer and see what happens? But yeah... kinda need to see calorie intake, and whether you're eating back your exercise calories :)
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself on the same day at the same time. If I weigh myself sunday morning after an intense cardio session in 8 or 9 lbs less than when I weigh myself monday night after 2 gallons of water that day?
  • chas1933
    chas1933 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I read and I feel better! Thanks for the info. :happy: :smile: