Grand Canyon hiking!

Options
Georg
Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
:bigsmile:
This morning we went hiking down into the canyon & I was able to do it with no problem!
Last summer we tried some hiking & I just couldn't do it. I got overheated & dehydrated & breathless after just a little distance - not even uphill. The only thing that kept me from collapsing was the thought of hubby going for help & then no one would be able to carry me out - so they'd have to get a helicopter or something! :sad:
It was so embarrassing! :cry:
:heart:
But today was different. I'm 30 pounds lighter & in much better physical shape. We didn't have time to go clear to the bottom & I was winded because of the altitude, but I went as far as everyone else in the party & I was fine! I'm not sore or anything. Just dirty!
:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Thanks to you all!
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• Georg
    Options
    Just checked the scales after the family reunion long weekend & I didn't do too bad. I'm up a couple of pounds, (probably sodium) but hopefully they'll be gone in a day or two of back to normal foods & exercise.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    OH i understand. I am a big hiker as well. Last year I couldn't hike a mile without struggling, lost 30 and I do much much better 5-8 miles. Keep up the good work.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    OH i understand. I am a big hiker as well. Last year I couldn't hike a mile without struggling, lost 30 and I do much much better 5-8 miles. Keep up the good work.
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    I LOVE HIKING. Wow ... the Grand Canyon. I bet it's awesome. Hiking is my exercise of choice. I love the scenery ... it distracts me from the fact that I'm actually getting a real workout. I know what you mean about being able to do it when you couldn't before. That's such a feeling. I love it. Congratulations on your accomplishments. Maybe we could start a thread for hikers so we can share some stories. I would love that.
    HikerGirlColor.jpg
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    that is so amazing that you have the grand canyon at your disposal, right at your fingertips. drooling! i love hiking, i am also an aspiring rock climbing enthusiast. i've never gone for real, but i like rocky terrain, i think it is in my blood.
  • Georg
    Options
    I've never done much hiking - I'm usually a watergirl. :bigsmile:
    But I love to walk & hubby loves geology, so it worked out great for both of us. I'm determined not to hold him back whenever he wants to do something like that.
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This morning we went hiking down into the canyon & I was able to do it with no problem!
    Last summer we tried some hiking & I just couldn't do it. I got overheated & dehydrated & breathless after just a little distance - not even uphill. The only thing that kept me from collapsing was the thought of hubby going for help & then no one would be able to carry me out - so they'd have to get a helicopter or something! :sad:
    It was so embarrassing! :cry:
    :heart:
    But today was different. I'm 30 pounds lighter & in much better physical shape. We didn't have time to go clear to the bottom & I was winded because of the altitude, but I went as far as everyone else in the party & I was fine! I'm not sore or anything. Just dirty!
    Thanks to you all!
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

this is very inspiring, i'm on my way to the grand canyon for the first time on tuesday and i'll be excited to hit some trails now that i've hit my weight/health goal. i'm so excited and reading your story got me more excited that i'm going. I'll also be watching the arizona cardinals at their training camp, i'm very interested what kind of training professional athletes take part in.

any tips, suggestions as far as trails ect. that i must check out? i'll be toward the south/east rim.
    congrads on your goal i bet your hubby was so proud.

.s.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!