Any tips to quit, or limit smoking?

Options

Replies

• clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I gave up 5 years ago, I smoked from adolescence morning till night, no social smoking for me! I sometimes see people on bikes smoking and my jaw drops, I couldnt cycle run walk fast if i still smoked. Now I am free, free of smoking not a second class citizen go to the smoking zone in the rain lol and , and this is now a big and....... no stink, man smoking stinks lol!

Yes I am a reformed smoker the worst!!! as with everything if you want to give up bad enough you will, it isnt easy but doable. i did patches for 2 weeks then thought what is the point and went cold turkey. BEST THING I EVER DID, good luck
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Oh Im smoke free 5+ years ..I did not use the skunk urine method but I do think it would work... I just stopped smoking. Hence the stop inhaling suggestion... Its hard but sooo worth it.
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I got an old trick off the oprah show like 15 years ago. It worked for me and I had quit for 7 years, then I got
    a divorce and that's all she wrote. Then I got pregant and haven't touched since. MY EASY TRICK...

Every night just before bed drink:

1 - 6 oz glass of cranberry juice or OJ
    2 tsp of cream of tartar (spice in the baking isle)

Mix the two together and down the hatch. Empty your bladder -- then drink. Go to bed.

This mixture flushes nicotine out of your body naturally. Continue smoking and continue to do this.
    You will see you crave less and even at times the ciggy will tasty NASTY. I'm telling you, in 10 days
    (along with the willpower to want to quit) and this is your fix baby. Cost me about $11.00 total and I
    was done ! Good luck
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Nearly everyone I know that has done so successfully did so by going cold turkey. If the desire is there, you can do it.

Sadly, some of my loved ones quit while they watched my father battle lung cancer, and ultimately pass away. That was the kick in the butt they needed.

That being said, smoking doesn't make anyone a bad person. It's just a bad habit, same as eating ice cream every day or drinking too much Diet Coke. When you're ready, you'll succeed at quitting.

(and my favorite area runner is this older dude--maybe in his 70's--that runs fast and hard...until he gets stopped by a stop light. Then he lights up and takes a few drags before putting it out and carrying on with his run!)
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    I smoked for about 15 years, 1 to 2 packs a day. I tried to quit 3 times for periods that ranged up to 7 months, but it never stuck. Then I quit cold turkey and I haven't smoked in 5 years.

The problem is you have to prepare yourself for how bad it will be, and it will be much worse than the simple physical cravings, and even worse than kicking the more complex hand to mouth habit.

I can't speak for other people who have quit. But for me, the problem was the way a cigarette "closed" an activity for me. Finished eating? Smoke a cigarette. Finished editing a page at work? Smoke a cigarette. Sex? You get the idea. Without cigarettes to close activities for me, I felt like nothing was ever full, nothing was ever completed. The sense that the emptiness in my life would continue forever without a cigarette lasted for such a long time after quitting it is no longer useful to try to remember when and if that feeling of emptiness stopped completely.

I am not telling you this to discourage you. But again speaking from my own experience, there is no real way to quit without accepting the worst you will face, before you actually face it. For me, it became sort of a game of self-punishment, this emptiness. After two days, two weeks, two months, two years, confronted by a need to fill the void with a cigarette, instead of shying away from the feeling I would dwell in it. Focus on the pain.

The trick is not to try to make it easier. You have to prepare, expect, and even embrace the difficulty. There really is nothing so comprehensive as addiction - it fills all aspects of your life. When you try to remove an addiction, you're puling up all the stems and roots where the addiction made its home. It isn't easy. And it shouldn't be, really. It is a matter of knowledge and will power. You know that you need to quit, and you must make your will power fill the places in your life that you let addiction live.
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    I've been a smoker for 12 years, and quite frankly despite the health worries associated with it, and a generalized regret of picking up the habit, i love smoking. Nothing is more realaxing after a long stressful day then a leisure smoke, other then excersing ofcourse!

Does anyone have any home remedies to quit, or limit smoking?

Don't like the gum, hate taking pills, not trying to substitute.

Any other MFP who excersise reguarly who smoke?

Yesterday is my 3rd week quiting. I tried to quit many mnay times. It was impossible. 3 weeks ago I mentally prepared myself, this time I'm goin to quit. That tuesday morning I trained at gym, came home and put the patch on! Yes the patch. I opted for "14" instead of "21" since I had cut back anyway. I have not lit one since. Although 2 weeks in I decided not to use the patch and started getting very anxious. So next day patch was back on. I feel great! I honestly never believed I could do this... I have! And you can to once you believe!
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I can remember walking out of the gym many years ago and the first thing I did was light up a cigarette. I smoked for over 25 years. So I decided it was time to quit. Two things helped me. One was an online support group much like this one. The other was chocolate.......... not the best subsitute, but it worked. I haven't had a cigarette in almost 8 years.

I also remember that I had to set a date about 3 weeks in advance. To get ready for it. To kind of psyche myself out. And I remember the night I had to throw away my remaining cigarettes. It was one of the hardest things I had to do. But it was worth it!!
  • rmalford
    rmalford Posts: 58
    Options
    I quit a couple of decades ago when it just became to much of a hassle. Actually quit two or three times, once for several years. I understand that the physical addiction is out of your system in several days,but assure you the psychological urge remains for years.

The key to quitting each time was to stop in an situation that is novel, to avoid all the habitual prompts for a cigarette. First time I when backpacking for a week ... not chance or normal conditions. Last time was on vacation, no meetings, phone calls, sitting at a deck etc. This worked for me and sometime around ten years passé, I no longer have the urges.

You will have to stop telling yourself you "love" smoking! I never did.

Good luck
  • GIAngel222
    GIAngel222 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about ten years ago. How I did it...

I smoked 19 cigarettes for the day and left myself at night time with one cigarette. I left this one cigarette "in case of emergencies". I started fresh in the morning and told myself that I was not going to smoke the cigarette. I made sure that I always had some kind of cough drop to help with the dry mouth (you will get from quitting). I always had Halls Vitamin C strawberry drops. After the first day of not smoking, I thought to myself if I can go one day than I can go two days., etc. After a week of not smoking, I threw away the cigarette and have not looked back since.

Good Luck. Try not to think about the addiction and think of it as a mind over matter situation. If you mind says you are not going to pick up the cigarette, you won't, since your mind controls what your body does!
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I get it dude......you don't love smoking.......you love feeling stress relief......but that particular form of stress relief turns into a long bad painful habit.

If I were you, I would consider switching to American Spirits. They are all natural. They are without harmful additives and without addictive chemicals. They have all different types including organic. By switching to cigarettes without harmful additives and addictive chemicals like American Spirits, you put yourself in a better position to smoke considerably less and >QUIT< because what you're smoking is less addictive.

There's also the economical side of it. American Spirits are more expensive, but if you commit to smoking American Spirits and American Spirits only, you'll have to slow down and >QUIT< to save money.

Good luck dude. I sincerely hope you >QUIT<. I currently have someone in my life who has severe COPD and severe emphysema because of his smoking. He can barely walk and he is going to die soon. Sad. Very sad. I promise, you don't want to bake that cake.

Edit - Don't think you can >QUIT<............know you can >QUIT<.
  • scubalynnie
    scubalynnie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I switched to the e-cig about a month ago. Most days i don't use it. If I am out drinking with smokers I have it if I need it.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Stop buying cigarettes.

If you are going to keep smoking, I am with American Spirits guy... at least smoke decent cigarettes :P
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker for 25 years. My husband and I both quit for good in January, 2009. I tried old turkey a couple of times. That would work for a couple of months, then I would cave. I started cutting out a cigarette here and there. You know, one on the way to work instead of two or jump in the shower before I could have that first one in the morning. Was doing okay that way, but a friend told me to try Chantix. It really worked. I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms or weird side effects. I was able to stop after the initial perscription. My husband had a couple of refills. It is pricey, but then so are cigarettes.
  • EllenGould
    EllenGould Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I smoked 2 packs a day and smoked for 35 years. I loved smoking and sometimes would still love to smoke one Six years ago I had a heart attack And my cardiologist said I was now a non smoker and put me on chantix I have not smoked since. I advise quitting before you have a heart attack however.:smile:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    quitnet.com is a great online community. A bit like MFP but for people trying to quit. Just when I was going to cave, I found the site and it saved my life!! You have to remember the smoking is killing you prematurely. And you will have to trust me on this but, you will enjoy being a NON smoker about 1,000,000 times more than you do now! :flowerforyou:
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    First stopping smoking gave me a sense of empowerment which flowed into other aspects of my life.
    I haven't smoked for over twenty years now.
    After a few unsuccessful attempts I had to break the nexus between smoking and activities that I associated with smoking.
    For me this was alcohol.
    I didn't drink for over 10 years and now I can enjoy a social drink in any surroundings.
    A small price to pay to gain control over my life
  • OregonShell
    OregonShell Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also smoked for many many years off and on.. recently I have given up Tobacco Cigs and gone to electronic.. not as much of the harmful chemicals with still getting my nicotine... I have been cutting the nicotine back... It is easier this time around for me because with the e-cig I can quit the nicotine addiction and break the hand mouth habit seperately.. have been over a month Tobacco free...

Try different thing, for some the patch works. others gum and ice chps... and one thing I found was to figure out my "triggers" example, boredom.. I eat and I smoke more when I am bored . also I smoke more when i drive.. these are things I have to have alternatives around for like gum or my e-cig...

Good Luck
  • grhodes12341
    Options
    If you enjoy smoking I would suggest a more healthy nicotine substitute like the e cig. You still get the relaxing effects of nicotine but without the tar, ash, and other carcinogen present in cigarettes. Although, I will be honest, using an e cig is a little less satisfying than smoking a cigarette in my opinion. But when you factor in the health benefits it's definitely the better choice. I found some good reviews of different e cigs at, myecigspot.com. I'm personally using the Apollo VTube right now, it's a powerful and durable vaporizer.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    No advice, just wanted to wish you luck.

Back when I worked at the NIH, I used to run into a guy who was puffing away, standing outside the building in freezing weather. Terminal lung cancer, was there for an experimental protocol, and hooked up to iv. One of the saddest things I've seen.

All I can say is don't be that guy.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    To be honest it took me twice to quit. I smoked well over 15 years. 1st time I quit it was for 8 months. I used herbal cigarettes that are now discontinued called "Herbal Dreams" I only smoked them when I had a really bad urge, They would stop me from getting a real cigarette. I would get bad urges and would jonse after coffee in the mornings, eating, going outside, seeing someone else smoke on tv etc. The 2nd time quitting since march of this year was a lot easier. I quit cold turkey and haven't really had a problem this time. My fiance uses the electric cigarette, nicorette, and snus. He has had a much harder time. I hated the e-cig. Good luck to you, just get over the hump. It is way worth it.