Not feeling the burn...more weight or more reps?

Options
I love the way my muscles feel sore 1-2 days after I weight train. The last few weeks, I haven't felt the same burn. I've been raising the weight as my strength has grown these past few months, but lately I'm just not feeling it the next day. I typically do 3 sets of 8 reps of whatever I'm doing. Should I do heavier weights, or add more sets? Not trying to become the next female body builder, just trying to build some muscle for a leaner firmer look.

Thanks

Replies

• litnerd4life
    litnerd4life Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you switching up the moves you are doing, or sticking to the same set of moves? I always shoot for more weight, but I also do pretty much a different circuit every time. I feel way more burn now that I've started doing that than when I did the same exercises over and over. I have spent probably way too much time surfing the net for new and creative exercises you can do with or without weight. There is so much info out there!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    depends on what you're going for.

i just did several months of strength training (heavy weight, low reps of 5-6) and never felt that muscle pump. i recently started doing medium weights and mediums reps (10-12 reps per set ) and immediately felt a muscle pump. i personally think it's good to switch it up every few months, the only thing i'd never do is low weight and high reps (20+ reps per set ). that's pretty much just a waste of time to me
  • hsaab
    hsaab Posts: 36
    Options
    If you wanna build more muscle/bulk - add weight
    If you wanna add definition and tone - add reps and if your still not feeling it add a bit more weight w extra reps

^^ Like said above, adding similar but different exercises is a good idea, targeting same area but different smaller muscles as well will help w definition! GL :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I love the way my muscles feel sore 1-2 days after I weight train. The last few weeks, I haven't felt the same burn. I've been raising the weight as my strength has grown these past few months, but lately I'm just not feeling it the next day. I typically do 3 sets of 8 reps of whatever I'm doing. Should I do heavier weights, or add more sets? Not trying to become the next female body builder, just trying to build some muscle for a leaner firmer look.

Thanks

Eventually, your muscles get used to working out and that soreness disappears. Lack of soreness the next day does not indicate a bad or weak workout however, it just means your muscles are now accustomed to the regular exercise.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    i personally think it's good to switch it up every few months, the only thing i'd never do is low weight and high reps (20+ reps per set ). that's pretty much just a waste of time to me

Depends on your goals obviously, but doing things like high rep squats (which is torture BTW) will translate strongly to endurance activities like biking and running. Nothing helps you power up hills quite like high rep squatting.

High rep chins/pulls will strongly translate to climbing.

There is a cool factor to being able to straight up do a ton of pushups or pullups, the quest for more is not uninteresting and is certanly beneficial.

Though for most exercises, you are right, low weight and lots of reps is a waste of time.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been doing pretty much the same moves...time to switch it up and see what happens!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain strength, don't worry about soreness.

If you want soreness, try hitting your muscles with a hammer.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i personally think it's good to switch it up every few months, the only thing i'd never do is low weight and high reps (20+ reps per set ). that's pretty much just a waste of time to me

Depends on your goals obviously, but doing things like high rep squats (which is torture BTW) will translate strongly to endurance activities like biking and running. Nothing helps you power up hills quite like high rep squatting.

High rep chins/pulls will strongly translate to climbing.

There is a cool factor to being able to straight up do a ton of pushups or pullups, the quest for more is not uninteresting and is certanly beneficial.

Though for most exercises, you are right, low weight and lots of reps is a waste of time.

true but i'm not a bike rider and have no interest in endurance events, which is why i said low weights/ high reps is a waste of time TO ME. i didnt say it was a waste of time in general :wink:
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Thanks

Eventually, your muscles get used to working out and that soreness disappears. Lack of soreness the next day does not indicate a bad or weak workout however, it just means your muscles are now accustomed to the regular exercise.
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain strength, don't worry about soreness.

If you want soreness, try hitting your muscles with a hammer.

Thanks for giving me a laugh. Running off to find my hammer.

To the OP: Thank you for posting this. There is some good advice in this thread.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This is actually not true what di3012 said about not getting sore. If you bump up your weight and reps, you should still be a little sore. Bump up the weight just a little, but for sure add more reps. And trust me, you will not get huge from this. If your not sore, then your muscles are being use to doing the same thing. My brother in law has been a body builder for 15 years and still gets sore after workouts and so do I. Try going for 20 reps first set, then 15, 12, and then 10 for your last one. You don't need to bump it up alot, but even a little with more reps and I guaruntee you'll be sore. Hope this helps.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Switch it up! When I feel like I've hit a plataeu, I will alternate between days of heavier weights with lower reps and days of lighter weights with high reps. Sometimes I'll do more sets of something or change my routine and try some new exercises. Sometimes all it takes is me changing one thing like adding in a new exercise I've never tried to feel sore the next day.