Training Programs that use Gym Machines

Options
I'll try to keep it simple.
01. I'm poor.
02. I won't do "free weights" at the gym by myself although I really enjoy it.

I'm looking for a good strength training program I can follow/find that is based on machines I would find at the gym. I want to use this for the times that I don't have a workout partner. I've been trying to find something online and everything always turns out to be something you sign up for and end up needing to pay for.

I just want something that does a good job splitting up the muscle groups over three days.
I do cardioish stuff everyday after work and cardioish stuff on the mornings I don't lift but I want to keep the lifting going even on days that i'm alone...i'm just too weird to walk in to the gym go over to the weights and act like I know what i'm doing and work out by myself. Those lame insecurities aren't an issue on the machines. Free weights will always be my first choice but I will only do them when I'm there with a buddy.

so now that I sound like a silly weirdo does anyone have any advice/links? Any and all input (aside from..."just lift by yourself and quit being a wuss" however I do expect someone to use that exact sentence as advice now :) ) is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• samhartlife
    Options
    Dear maxonehiphop,
    thank you for your sincere question and interest. My best advice is: Just lift by yourself and quit being a wuss
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Dear maxonehiphop,
    thank you for your sincere question and interest. My best advice is: Just lift by yourself and quit being a wuss

I appreciate that Samuelito.
    I am pretty sure that is your first forum post.

Does the site where you get your routines have any that are based on "machines"?
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com>super site>exercises

You will be able to choose a body part then on the left scroll down to equipment type and choose machine.
  • maxonehiphop
    Options
    to clarify....#2 (it won't let me edit it)
    I really like free-weights however I do not like doing them alone.
    I'll try to keep it simple.
    01. I'm poor.
    02. I won't do "free weights" at the gym by myself although I really enjoy it.

I've been on bodybuilding.com many times trying to figure things out. I always get lost on that site but i'm going to see if i can figure it out today. It's obviously a great resource but i'm not trying to buy their supplements and all that which it seems to always steer you toward.
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    you aren't poor if you can afford a gym membership.
  • maxonehiphop
    Options
    you aren't poor if you can afford a gym membership.

How do you know that I pay for a gym membership?
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Stop being a wuss, Man up, use dumb bells and lift alone.

It's hard to tell you what machines to use since we don't know what your gym has.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Wow. Not a lot of support here eh?

I was intimidated using free weights in the gym at first too.. finally, I figured that everyone starts somewhere so I just bit the bullet and went for it. Having said that, if you're just not willing to force it just yet, a lot of the exercises can be nearly duplicated on the machines. I'm a big believer in free weights because of the emphasis on core stability and the additional stress on muscles just to maintain form, but here's a link to a pretty simple rundown of what works what though it's not a specific program per say:

http://www.teachpe.com/strengthening/machines.php

And hte following is a more specific program with 3 days of full body workouts found at answerfitness.com

Workout #1 (Day One) Exercises

Chest Press Machine: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Pull Ups (Can be performed on a pull-up station with assist or a traditional pull-up bar): Perform as many pull-ups as you can for 3 sets.
    (Substitute Exercise: Cable or Lat Machine Pulldowns)
    Seated Overhead Shoulder Press Machine: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Seated Leg Press Machine: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Seated Calf Raise Machine: 15 Reps for 3 Sets
    Bicep Curl Machine: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Tricep Pressdown Machine: Perform as many dips as you can for 3 sets.*
    Back Extensions (performed on 45 degree back extension bench): One Set of 15**
    Swiss/Stability Ball Ab Crunches: 20-25***

Rest and Recover for at least 48 hours.

Workout #2 (Day Two) Exercises

Dips: Perform as many reps as possible for 3 sets*
    Cable Rows: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    (Substitute Exercise: Seated Machine Rows)
    Cable Front Shoulder Raises: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Smith Machine Squats: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Smith Machine Standing Calf Raises: 15 Reps for 3 Sets
    Cable Bicep Curls: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Cable Tricep Pressdown: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Back Extensions (performed on 45 degree back extension bench): One Set of 15**
    Hanging Leg Raises/Roman Chair (Abs): Perform as many as you can for 3 sets***

Rest and Recover for at least 48 hours.

Workout #3 (Day Three) Exercises

Pec Deck Machine: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Lat Cable Pulldown: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    (Substitute Exercise: Lat Pulldown Machine)
    Cable Side Shoulder Raises: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Smith Machine Lunges: 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Seated Calf Press (Performed on Leg Press Machine): 15 Reps for 3 Sets
    Reverse Bicep Curl Machine (Palms down): 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Cable Press Downs (performed with palms up on the bar) 8-10 Reps for 3 Sets
    Back Extensions (performed on 45 degree back extension bench): One set of 15 **
    V-Crunches/Jack-Knife Sit Up (Abs): Perform as many as you can for 3 sets.***

Good luck! Hope it helps
  • maxonehiphop
    Options
    cool! I originally posted this back in May. I was already lifting alone then & i've been lifting solo now for the last 6 months somewhat inconsistently but I'm totally gonna try this. Looks like a solid routine.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you are at a gym, they should as part of your membership, help you fill out a routine every so many months.