Insulin Resistance Syndrome----IRS sucks

Options
I am 30 years old and have been diagnosed with Insulin Resistance Syndrome (IRS). This basically means that my body does not process foods properly. My doctor has recommended that I eat by the American Diabetes Association guidelines because it will yield the best results, but warns that "the process will be VERY slow."

I can't explain how hard this news was to hear. I have been on a perpetual diet treadmill since I was 20, and it seems that all I've managed to do is maintain my excess weight. I have tried seeing this as a good thing (at least I haven't ballooned beyond my current weight) but I'm still left looking for more insight.

Does anyone have IRS who may have some extra guidance on this issue? I would love to hear any helpful input you may have. As of now, I am following the ADA's recommendations, working out 6 days a week including weight training and trying to focus on the way I feel rather than on the way my clothes fit or on the number on the scale, but there are days (like today) that I feel like I'm just spinning my proverbial wheels.

If you have any input that can help, please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you!