Weight Gain / Higher Intensity Workout Question

NykkieC
NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Good morning all!
I have a question hopefully someone can shed some light on:
I finally hit 15 lbs lost on Friday. Saturday morning I worked out to a weight training stepper DVD for an hour and hopped on the elliptical for 10 min, I burned 700 calories which is a lot more than I'm used to burning.

Sunday I had a bad day eating wise, almost 800 calories over :embarassed: and I weighed myself yesterday to find that the scale was up 5 pounds. I know there's no way that I ate enough extra calories to gain 5 real pounds, and read somewhere that when we intensify our workout routine to expect a gain.

My question is, how long does it usually take for the weight to even back out? I'm hesitant to change my weight on here and I have a goal to have 15 lbs lost by this Saturday (we have a wedding to go to).

Thanks in advance!
Nykkie

Replies

• debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    It is most likely water weight. Did you eat a lot of salt? You need to just make sure you are drinking your water. When you exercise you need to drink a lot more than when you don't. As long as your pee is pale yellow then you are ok. If it starts getting dark then you need more...Drink up!:drinker:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    I wouldn't worry, weight can vary day to day due to water and undigested food.
  • NykkieC
    Oh yeah, forgot about the insane amount of salt too! I'm drinking water like a mad woman trying to flush it all out! :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    It's most likely glycogen increase, and changes in electrolytic balance that is causing it. this can take 3 days to 3 weeks to normalize. Please note, the weight probably won't go down, because once you start using muscles more, they will keep a higher volume of glycogen available. But just know that this is a GOOD thing. It means you have the energy available to the muscles that you need in order to correctly work out hard. Some of that weight may come off as your electrolytes balance out and water is no longer out of whack, but probably not much (maybe 2 lbs), the glycogen levels will remain though. And yes, glycogen levels can go up over a 12 to 24 hour period. I would dismiss any idea that this is muscle gain though, muscles take many days and weeks to increase even small amounts in density or size, and even then, it's usually only by fractions of pounds. 10 lbs of muscle increase in a year is usually considered very high by most trainers.
  • NykkieC
    It's most likely glycogen increase, and changes in electrolytic balance that is causing it. this can take 3 days to 3 weeks to normalize. Please note, the weight probably won't go down, because once you start using muscles more, they will keep a higher volume of glycogen available. But just know that this is a GOOD thing. It means you have the energy available to the muscles that you need in order to correctly work out hard. Some of that weight may come off as your electrolytes balance out and water is no longer out of whack, but probably not much (maybe 2 lbs), the glycogen levels will remain though. And yes, glycogen levels can go up over a 12 to 24 hour period. I would dismiss any idea that this is muscle gain though, muscles take many days and weeks to increase even small amounts in density or size, and even then, it's usually only by fractions of pounds. 10 lbs of muscle increase in a year is usually considered very high by most trainers.
    Ugh not the answer I'd like to hear about the weight not evening back out any time soon, but thank you - very useful information!
  • SHBoss1673

Ugh not the answer I'd like to hear about the weight not evening back out any time soon, but thank you - very useful information!

Why? Who cares what you weigh? Remember, this stuff is GOOD. It allows you to work out harder, longer, and makes your body look better, leaner, will make clothes fit better, give you more energy. Nykkie, remember, weight is arbitrary, 5 lbs has nothing to do with how healthy you are.

Ask yourself this, would you rather weight 10 lbs less, or be 2 dress sizes smaller, have definition in your arms, shoulders, and calves; and weigh 10 lbs more? If your answer is the latter (which I really HOPE it is) then weight should be the last thing on your mind!

Best luck to you lady!
  • NykkieC

Why? Who cares what you weigh? Remember, this stuff is GOOD. It allows you to work out harder, longer, and makes your body look better, leaner, will make clothes fit better, give you more energy. Nykkie, remember, weight is arbitrary, 5 lbs has nothing to do with how healthy you are.

Ask yourself this, would you rather weight 10 lbs less, or be 2 dress sizes smaller, have definition in your arms, shoulders, and calves; and weigh 10 lbs more? If your answer is the latter (which I really HOPE it is) then weight should be the last thing on your mind!

Best luck to you lady!

Oh, it's definitely the latter. I was just pretty excited that I was so close to my half-way point. I'm still trying to re-wire my thinking that weight in the long run doesn't matter...but I'm glad that I'm going in the right direction this time, diet and exercise wise. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
  • SHBoss1673
    Good answer! :tongue:
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    It is so funny that this subject came up this morning as I have been quite frustrated with my weight gain over the past few days.

This post answered my question and has relieved my stress about it.

I have upped my intensity at the gym; running faster at a higher incline and running outside which is harder than running at the gym.

I am glad to know that the increase is actually a sign that my muscles are getting what they need to work harder and longer which is what I want.

Before reading this post, I was obsessed about seeing that "magic" number on the scale and it didn't matter that my clothes are getting bigger and my body is getting more toned, so I thank you for taking the time to post logical answers to our questions.
This discussion has been closed.