Can I bank calories?

Options
Hi,

I just started using this three days ago, and I'm still getting used to how it works. I've been on WW for what seems like years now, and there's the concept of storing up a "bank" of points/calories for the days of the week that you have events, or want to try a little of everything. I know this might seem like a silly question, and ideally, I'd not want to use a "bank" all the time, but is this okay to skimp a little for a few days and then go over on one day, as long as the total cal for the week stays balanced? I read most of the "Newbies read me file". What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for helping me out!

Shannon

Replies

• ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Nothing like that here..
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Sure, try to meet your weekly calorie goal instead of being rigid with your daily calorie goal.
  • kodaks
    kodaks Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't know of its a good idea or not, however it is easy to see how many calories you have left for the week on the iPad and mobile apps. If you switch it to week view, you can also see what days you were over and under, and it shows you the average for the entire week.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Many of us have a "cheat day" where we don't track our food, or might have something we wouldn't normally. I don't bank, but I do have a cheat day. Still losing weight...
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. You're supposed to meet your daily calories each day. If you want to eat more in a day, then you're supposed to exercise those calories off. The more you exercise, the more you can eat for that day. Get close to your daily allowance and try not to go over.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have a weekly calorie goal rather than a daily goal, because they can't be really consistent. It's fine as long as it averages out in your favor, but MFP doesn't really work for weekly calorie goals/banking calories. It's really a daily worksheet.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, yes, but there's no way to track it on here. But you could certainly make a little note like in your phone or something saying "under 200 calories Wed, under 100 calories Thurs..." and then use your extra calories on a "splurge" meal or margarita or whatever you wanted without going crazy over your calories. That's how weight watchers does their flex points system.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I personally would ditch that concept, and just "learn" how to eat, make healthy choices and know when and how you can break the rules.

You can view a chart for the week that can help give you an idea of where there is flexibility. The thought of banking calories would be a recipe for disaster for me.

You could also just do some cardio or whatever and burn some calories and consider those more of a freebie.

Perhaps it works for you and if so good, but I would take a different approach.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't know of its a good idea or not, however it is easy to see how many calories you have left for the week on the iPad and mobile apps. If you switch it to week view, you can also see what days you were over and under, and it shows you the average for the entire week.

Yes.

Though this appears to be an app-only feature, and not part of the web version of MFP.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sure, try to meet your weekly calorie goal instead of being rigid with your daily calorie goal.

This ^^ It's what you eat overall, not daily, that will determine whether you gain, lose or maintain.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, yes, but there's no way to track it on here. But you could certainly make a little note like in your phone or something saying "under 200 calories Wed, under 100 calories Thurs..." and then use your extra calories on a "splurge" meal or margarita or whatever you wanted without going crazy over your calories. That's how weight watchers does their flex points system.

^^ This...

I am a WW member and I track here for more accurancy with my eating/exercise. I try to be somewhat consistant with my eating, but if I day where I go over, then I try to be under a bit the next couple of days to make up for it (but still eat my NET calories). Works for me.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I know this might seem like a silly question, and ideally, I'd not want to use a "bank" all the time, but is this okay to skimp a little for a few days and then go over on one day, as long as the total cal for the week stays balanced?

Absolutely!!! Your body does not follow a strict 24 hour clock and you don't have to, either. If you want to "save up" a few hundred calories a day for a few days and then use them for a special meal out or whatever, go for it!

I go under and over for a day all the time - sometimes intentionally and sometimes accidentally. I try to make it up over the next couple of days by eating more (or less).

Exercise is a better way to earn extra calories, because you don't have to deprive yourself the day before or after to be able to "afford" a special meal. ;)
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Personally I think that is a healthier approach than rigid adherence to daily limits.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You sure can. If it works for you, it works.

I really like the weekly goals on the ipad app. Your body doesn't have some sort of magical reset switch that locks in your calories at 12am.

Example: Drank a lot of beer last night. Before that, I had a light, low-carb dinner preceding that and then a low-carb breakfast afterwards. It works out in the end.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I think so. I am usually a little low during the week and kind of "save" them for a nice meal on the weekend or a night out on the town. It has been working for me.

I just look at my "weekly" goals to see how I'm doing. I don't think your body loses weight in a linear fashion.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I personally would ditch that concept, and just "learn" how to eat, make healthy choices and know when and how you can break the rules.

You can view a chart for the week that can help give you an idea of where there is flexibility. The thought of banking calories would be a recipe for disaster for me.

^^^^ This is a good point. If you try this and find yourself using it as an excuse to go over your calorie limit every single day while never making it up, then you may need to stick more rigidly to a daily schedule.

But using this site is all about using the tools and learning what works for you. You're making a permanent change to your lifestyle if you want to KEEP the weight off, and this is a great time to learn about what works for you, and what doesn't.

The absolute worst case for a failed experiment right now is a minor setback in your weight loss. Better to have those setbacks now, while you are paying close attention and learning from them.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Maybe not over a month's time or anything, but within a week most definitely.
  • Hollycoleman46
    Options
    I'm not sure about a bank for your caloric intake but when you want to splurge just exercise more to burn the calories, that's typically what I do.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Forget what you learned at WW, and try it this way, you will see better results.
    That being said, don't eat under your BMR or over your TDEE and you are golden.
  • klalaw
    klalaw Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Technically, MFP does not bank calories like WW does. Which isn't to say that a cheat day is going to totally derail your progress. But what I've been told (by an RD) is that your body wakes up each day and all it knows is that it needs a particular number of calories to function - if it gets less than that, it's going to react one way, and if it gets more, it's going to react another way. If you overeat a bunch on one day, your body doesn't know that you're planning to "make up for it." Personally, I don't think some fluctuations are bad, but there's a reason that programs like this set a daily vs. a weekly calorie goal.