Swimming?

Options
I have started to try to lose weight with swimming. Has anyone out there done this?

I am reading articles and having people tell me that you cannot lose weight with swimming. Unfortunately I have bad knees and need the low impact.

Right now I am alternating 10 laps, 10 laps with just my arms, and 10 laps of running (using the resistance).

I am sore as all get out, and I have watched the scale starting to drop.

Im just wondering if I am going to really going to get anywhere, so... Any other weight loss success stories from swimmers?

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Of course you will lose weight as long as you are eating correctly

You are burning calories.
    Anyone who says that you can't lose weight swimming, as obviously never tried to swim laps for any period of time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says that you can't lose weight swimming, as obviously never tried to swim laps for any period of time.

^^ This

Swimming is great, no-impact exercise. Keep in mind, however, that exercise contributes to fitness; weight loss happens at the dinner table.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    The biggest issue with swimming, is it's very difficult to track your calorie burn. Intensity and overall swim time play a part in your burn. It's not like being on the treadmill where you can walk steadily for 30 minutes for a predictable burn. Personally, I think MFP drastically OVERestimates the calorie burn. When I swim, I use 3 different online calculators that ask for a standard 100yd time, and take the average from them. Even that is just a rough guess.

Go for it though. It gets you HR up, and works those muscles, and can be a helluva workout if you put in the effort.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    That's my exercise of choice. It's all I really enjoy so it's what I picked. As you can see from my ticker, I have lost 30 pounds. I've gone down 1-3 sizes (depending on the brand). I walk sometimes too, if I can't get to the pool, but swimmingis the majority of my work outs. I've added using swim fins and a kickboard to my swim for part of it. That sure works the legs out, too. Swimming burns a lot of calories. Do what you enjoy and you will keep doing it. That is how you will get fit. :happy:
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great form of exercise! Have you tried low impact aquafit as well? You can go at your own pace and that should help too :happy:
  • akvreeland
    akvreeland Posts: 27
    Options
    I swim with a Masters team, and sometimes wear my HR monitor...and burn anywhere from 600-750 calories per 90 mins depending on what we are doing. Just to give you an idea of the calorie burn.
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a fat guy on a swim team? Yes, you can lose weight swimming.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Until last week I have been doing a hour a week of Zumba, I started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and bang! my knee got twisted. No high impact for at least 7 weeks, I had started swimming and my doctor said it is a great way to exercise and lose weight ( along with a healthy diet) without putting undew strain on your joints so I'm in your camp Swimming is GOOD :@)
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I just started swimming a month ago (avid biker/runner, starting triathlons...), and I tell you, it BEATS me up! And I am in great shape! It is hard work, it gets my heart rate up, it works my arms, shoulders, and core for sure. When I am done I am tired and starving :) There is no way that you couldn't lose weight doing this. I agree that it is much more difficult to track calories burned, so you may need to make some adjustments if you stop losing weight or start losing too much. Good luck and have fun! It is great and low impact, and if it works for you, keep at it!
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I alternate with faster laps, on my back or front crawl with breast stroke. The faster laps really get my heart going but I cant keep up that for longer so breast stroke gives me the chance to cool down a little but not stop. I figure it is a little like interval training in that way plus the breast stroke will also be toning my bingo wings!
  • robclif4d
    robclif4d Posts: 5
    Options
    "Swimming is great, no-impact exercise. Keep in mind, however, that exercise contributes to fitness; weight loss happens at the dinner table."

Well said.
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I swim with a Masters team, and sometimes wear my HR monitor...and burn anywhere from 600-750 calories per 90 mins depending on what we are doing. Just to give you an idea of the calorie burn.
    What hrm do you use? I have a polar ft4 and i lose my heart rate signal as soon as i go under water.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You certainly can lose weight with swimming but it takes longer. There is a guy in my gym who has lost a stone by swimming only.

And aqua fit classes are kind on the joints.
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    I have been swimming one to two days per week and I have lost 27 lbs in 12 weeks. I have also been walking a few times but I know the swimming has helped...Again....eat correctly too and this will help!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    What hrm do you use? I have a polar ft4 and i lose my heart rate signal as soon as i go under water.

The FT4 & FT7 are supposed to be good in water.... until you dig through Polar's website where they contradict themselves, saying they won't work. I have the FT7 and can't keep the strap from sliding down my chest, no matter how tight I make it.
  • akvreeland
    akvreeland Posts: 27
    Options

P4...I use hot (HOT) water to get the strap wet, start the watch before I get in the pool, once I am in the water it usually takes a lap or two for it to pick up my heart rate again. Hope that helps.
  • SoCalWoman
    Options

P4...I use hot (HOT) water to get the strap wet, start the watch before I get in the pool, once I am in the water it usually takes a lap or two for it to pick up my heart rate again. Hope that helps.

hey thanks..I will try that.
  • sassydebbie67
    Options
    Swimming & walking is how i started loseing weight well along with MFP...
    I know workout with DVDs and still walk and swim..
    Good Luck to ya!!
  • smbkrn
    smbkrn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and swim with it quite frequently. I also have trouble keeping with the strap reading my heart rate until I get my HR above 120 then it seems to work a lot better. I also have to tighten the strap quite a bit so I maintain good contact throughout my swim.
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    I have an FT7 and swim with it quite frequently. I also have trouble keeping with the strap reading my heart rate until I get my HR above 120 then it seems to work a lot better. I also have to tighten the strap quite a bit so I maintain good contact throughout my swim.

thanks to you as well. I will give it another go. appreciate it.